Better to cut early or chance of mold from extended rain?

Jimmy Pete

I have 2 plants that I think are close but rain in forecast for over a week. Typically have a frost by now as well. Pull or wait it out ? Thanks for the great forum I’ve learned a lot already.

2F642C03-40F4-488D-BCC5-E9550246D1AD.jpeg

46DF17D2-F9F3-4308-A165-E4EF6208591A.jpeg

Hey Jimmy! From zooming in it looks like you’ve got quite a few white pistils, everywhere but the top? If that’s the case you’ve got a little longer to go. I would let em wait a bit longer - I know you mentioned rain…not necessarily a bad thing unless there are already problems. I don’t grow outside, but I’ve seen others push up hard against frost….

If you have access to a jewelers loupe, look at a calyx and if most of the trichomes are cloudy with ‘maybe’ 10% amber, that is my preferred sweet spot. But I very rarely magnify anymore - mostly wait until the bulk of the pistils have changed color but haven’t dried up yet.

I used to use this type of pic a lot…..
B13B9CD7-D51E-4BF7-B8C3-3B6296701D5C.jpeg

There are buds with white pistils here and there some are all orange as well.
I'm in upstate NY - getting real close to chop.. one more sunny day to dry up the flowers.

There are buds with white pistils here and there some are all orange as well.

watch the forecast hard. it's getting late for outdoor if you're north. you can get more with dry. if it looks to get wet you might have to take it fast unless there's heat and dry behind it.

I

I used to use this type of pic a lot…..
B13B9CD7-D51E-4BF7-B8C3-3B6296701D5C.jpeg

holy shit that's old school pistil read.
that's about how i did when we ran in the hills. we got colder at the end so stuff could get outright brown ugly.

haven't been outdoor a while and now go by trichomes. :)

Thanks for the great comments. When I zoom in i see mostly cloudy triochomes on the 2 plants. I have 3 more sativa that are clearly not ready that Im going to let go long as possible. Rain in forecast tomorrow night for several days and more rain next week.

I have 2 plants that I think are close but rain in forecast for over a week. Typically have a frost by now as well. Pull or wait it out
By now you will either have the mold or mildew or you won't. Think of it this way. If you see mold or mildew on your plant it has been there for 3 to 4 weeks already. Most of the molds, etc prefer warm, breezy and dry weather to spread and latch onto a plant. The stuff will not spread during wet or rainy weather but if it is already there it will have a chance to grow because of the moist leaf surfaces.

Plan ahead next summer and spray the plants with a home-made mix of apple cider vinegar and water. The coating of acidic acid on the leaves is often enough that the mold spores will not survive on the leaves. Looking around at other types of plants in the area will be enough to tell if the stuff has started to grow, especially the powdery mildew.

Most of the time an early frost will not harm the plant. I have noticed that in this area the first couple of times we get a frost in the fall it is followed by several days of warm weather and frost free nights which lets the plants continue to finish. Something to keep in mind if waiting for that last little bit of the buds maturing. Even snow that sticks to the trees, shrubs and plants but melts off the pavement and bare soil does not seem to harm the plant or the flowers. Seems to take what is called a "killing frost" or one where the temperatures drop into the mid 20s or lower for several hours.

By now you will either have the mold or mildew or you won't. Think of it this way. If you see mold or mildew on your plant it has been there for 3 to 4 weeks already. Most of the molds, etc prefer warm, breezy and dry weather to spread and latch onto a plant. The stuff will not spread during wet or rainy weather but if it is already there it will have a chance to grow because of the moist leaf surfaces.

Plan ahead next summer and spray the plants with a home-made mix of apple cider vinegar and water. The coating of acidic acid on the leaves is often enough that the mold spores will not survive on the leaves. Looking around at other types of plants in the area will be enough to tell if the stuff has started to grow, especially the powdery mildew.

Most of the time an early frost will not harm the plant. I have noticed that in this area the first couple of times we get a frost in the fall it is followed by several days of warm weather and frost free nights which lets the plants continue to finish. Something to keep in mind if waiting for that last little bit of the buds maturing. Even snow that sticks to the trees, shrubs and plants but melts off the pavement and bare soil does not seem to harm the plant or the flowers. Seems to take what is called a "killing frost" or one where the temperatures drop into the mid 20s or lower for several hours.

Thanks SmokingWings- there is no mold or mildew that i can see. There are some white spots on the fan leaves believed to be from cold temps our vegetables have them as well. I was just concerned about being wet for several days on end and not trying out.

Thanks SmokingWings- there is no mold or mildew that i can see. There are some white spots on the fan leaves believed to be from cold temps our vegetables have them as well.
It takes 3-4 weeks for many molds and mildews to grow enough that we can see them on the leaves. That is why I said you will either have it or not. Rain over the next couple of days will not cause the mold/mildew because it is either already there or it is not. At this point if you were to get some mold spores to land on your plant this weekend you would not know for 3 weeks if they started to grow.

I have some Powdery Mildew on the fan leaves on most of my outdoor plants. It has been there since early summer and I just spray every 10 days or so. Now I am going to start spraying all the flower tops with a vinegar and water mix to reduce the chance that any spores will be able to start growing there. If it rains then it washes off and I will have to do it again. Such is the life of a gardener.
There are some white spots on the fan leaves believed to be from cold temps our vegetables have them as well.
Take a photo showing the fan leaves on the plant and one photo of the vegetable leaf. It is the right time of year for it to start showing up on plants that were infected in mid-September during any warm & dry spell.

Sometimes the gang can take a look and tell right off if it is nothing to worry about or if it is mildew. If it is the start of mildew there is no reason to panic but you will be prepared and ready to do whatever is needed to keep any problem from being a disaster.

Tomato, cucumber and zucchini or other squash leaves are big time hosts for Powdery Mildew.

Back
Top Bottom