Bill C-45: Canada's Legalization, The Drama Revs Up

That is really the only solution. It is turning from an illicit drug into a commodity. Pricing will be what the market can bear with the usual sin taxes spread amongst all of the open hands. Look at menu pricing in the legal US states. It ain't cheap south of the border & ours won't be either once they crush the MOMs.

Ian

One of the big problems is that the government is also trying to control what you can grow. We are supposed to use government approved seed or clones anywhere we live in Canada.

Yep I have seen it when I was with Whistler! $750 to buy the genetics!

They aren't legalizing it for anyone but their buddies to make a huge profit!

They don't want us growing our own. The pricing for genetics is but one of the barriers in place. Another is the long wait for Health Canada approval to grow your own. That's now over six months.

I can get fentanyl within an hour at any pharmacy, but it takes a minimum of two weeks to get dried flower from a licensed producer. Insurance will cover the fentanyl, but not dried flower.

Vice news has an article about Big Pharma entering the medical pot arena... not sure if I'm allowed to link to it here...

"Tilray, which is largely a British Columbia-based company but with headquarters in Toronto, announced early Monday morning that it had signed a binding letter of intent with Sandoz Canada, an affiliate of Sandoz International GmBh, which is part of the Swiss pharma giant Novartis AG. "

How long till the govt decides we shouldn't be making our own medicine?

No one who is or is in the process of getting grow papers are required to get LP starting materials!
That is complete BS, they would like to control genetics but via the courts legally can't!

You're right with respect to the ACMPR, but Bill C-45 differs.

Something else I noticed is that gases are banned under the AMCPR, but liquid solvents like ethanol (drinking alcohol) are not. I suspect other laws probably do preclude the use of ethanol for extractions. I need to look into this.

Here are Notice: Consultation on Proposed Guidance for Residual Solvents in Technical Grade Active Ingredients - Canada.ca

The LP'S in some cases actually took genetics from MMAR patients to get started!

From a CBC article:

"The federal government today released the results of its public consultation on the legalization of pot .

Many of the respondents suggested that because there are currently thousands of different strains of cannabis being sold in Canada illegally, that to remain competitive legal growers would need access to plant genetics to expand their offering. The government responded by saying that consideration is being given to how the regulations could enable the introduction of new plant genetics into the legal system."

Good luck making rec people use LP material, lol! My MCR registration prohibits organic solvent extraction. So RSO, BHO is illegal for me to make or posses. Such BS!

Screw this whole legalization BS, they are taking what patients have developed and now making these people running the LP's mega rich!

""Many of the first licensed producers (LPs) sourced their genetics this way, and many of the existing strains available within Canada’s legal medical cannabis regime to authorized patients come from these MMAR sources. Some of these represent unique options developed in part by Canadian growers under Canada’s old MMAR. Two of the early licensed LPs, Tweed and Mettrum, even had a shipment of MMAR genetics seized by RCMP in the final moments of the exemption, in what was described as a miscommunication. ""

https://news.lift.co/cannabis-genetics-bottleneck/

I wonder if OCS (or other provinces) will sell clones in their retail spaces. That would be a smart move for them... Again, the only way to beat the black market is to make things as simple as possible, and priced correctly. If they had a selection of strains, and the price was decent, I'd buy a couple to become mothers...

Hi All,

I doubt the OCS would have them in their retail space. My reasoning is that live plants, unlike dried bud, require attention and care. The marketing liability that sad looking plants in the shop would have on the other products is huge. Droopy plants in the window would make you question the quality of the bud behind the counter.

I see the other side of the argument, that live plants would enhance the shopping experience, I just don't think they fit the OCS's business plan. After all, those inclined to grow will probably access the grey market with its wide range of strains. For those others, there are clones available.

Peace. :peace:

What a mess...
July 1 pot will be legal...
But it won't be for sale till August or September...
Once it IS available, you can't smoke it anywhere outside your own home, which if you live in a condo or rent, you may not be able to smoke there....

WTF? How is this better than what we've had for the past 40 years? (my own experience). I've been caught with pot tons of times, had it confiscated twice, and never charged.

In other words, I've NEVER worried about getting caught, even when I was growing years ago (4x4' small grow).

Now, I'm just glad I'm a medical user (although wish I didn't have to be). As I understand it, I can smoke anywhere that smoking cigarettes is allowed, except for in an automobile.

Sure wish they made the rules easy to find....

"A fair slice of the estimated surplus — roughly $20.8 million in fresh taxes and duties from projected sales of about 12 million grams of recreational cannabis"

Will be interesting to see how that plays out! Personally I don't plan to spend one cent on government weed, ever...

Maybe the senate will kill the bill today... I'm at a point where I honestly believe we're better off the way it is now...

Maybe the senate will kill the bill today... I'm at a point where I honestly believe we're better off the way it is now...

I think differently. The federal and provincial governments are making some huge mistakes. California is probably a good litmus test for legalization here. The biggest problem will be the high taxation rates governments want to impose. Next on the list is restricting sales to government outlets, in provinces that chose that route. Then there's the huge cost of licensing and regulation for LP's. The last one prevents small grow operations from getting the approvals they need. This in turn reduces the genetics available to the consumer dramatically. All of these mistakes will encourage the black market, pulling sales away from licensed retailers and producers.

Despite these mistakes, legalization will ease up on legal issues for the consumer. They will be able to have up to 30 grams in their possession while in public. They will be able to have an unlimited amount in their homes, although I think law enforcement will try to prosecute those with more than 5Kg at home for trafficking. That number may be lower, but I think it can be argued that four plants are able to produce that amount.

I suppose things will correct themselves over the next few years... People will realize that it's not the demon drug they've been told it is, and relax the rules.

Hi All,

It wouldn't be the end of the world if the Senate sent C-45 and C-46 back to the house. But I doubt any positive changes to the bills would happen, at least from my point of view.

The quote from OLD SALT needs a clarification. OLD SALT said, "They will be able to have up to 30 grams in their possession while in public". What is not stated is that the police will be able to harass who they want about the source of their cannabis. How do they know if it is legal (LP sourced) or grey/black market? I expect this will let them continue the disproportionate hassling or jailing of visible minorities. This includes the poor.

I am a firm believer that cops shouldn't be writing the cannabis laws.

I'm entering my late 50's, am not a visible minority, have a prescription, grow licence and own my own home. I don't expect any problems until we sell the house.

Peace. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom