Bill C-45: Canada's Legalization, The Drama Revs Up

I am actually in the lawsuit against OGI and was one of the first to be told that everything is being recalled. Well over a year now and nothing is really happening, OGI just keeps getting richer and richer.

I knew the OGI weed was shit as soon as I got it, I now have in sealed bags 6 bottles of weed that is literally poison!

The general public who buy from dispensaries or other non-LPee sources are in for a shock on price and quality of the LP's! The LP system and this legalization is just turning into a money grab.

• Legalized pot will cost Canadians about $10 a gram and Ottawa has agreed to give the provinces 75 per cent of the tax revenues to help cover costs of setting up the new regime.

• Each gram of marijuana would have a tax of $1 on sales up to $10 and a 10-per-cent tax on sales worth more than $10.

• Ontario Finance Minister Charles Sousa said the price could be even less than $10 a gram as governments try to squeeze out the illegal market

Source: Toronto Star

Ian

Never met a government that could resist another tax on a popular product. Mark my words, it will sell $15g within 5 years.

B.C. . . .

They have clarified some of the details

• Smoking marijuana will generally be allowed in public spaces where tobacco smoking and vaping are permitted. However, smoking and vaping of non-medical marijuana will be banned in areas frequented by children, including community beaches, parks and playgrounds.
  • B.C. will allow adults to grow up to four cannabis plants per household but the plants must not be visible from public spaces off the property. Home cultivation of non-medical cannabis will be banned in dwellings used as daycares. In addition, landlords and strata councils will be able to restrict or prohibit home cultivation
  • Anyone 19 years old or older will be allowed to possess up to 30 grams of non-medical cannabis in a public place
  • landlords and strata councils will be able to restrict or prohibit non-medical cannabis smoking and vaping at tenanted and strata properties.
  • The federal government has indicated that they want to take a look at the medical cannabis system within five years

Source: Global News

Ian

Hi All,

It is the last line of Ian's post that worries me.

With "legalization" coming, I fear that the Feds will let medical cannabis fall by the wayside, either letting it languish in its current form or rolling it into the recreational market.

The current system has many problems. Access only by mail, a grow licence system that has licences expiring before plants go to flower, a limited number of LPs with a growing focus shifting to the recreational market to name a few.

My personal experience with growing is limited, as is my skill level. I calculate that the 4 plant limit (per household) coming for recreational cannabis would barely be enough to keep us in CBD for a year, never mind medicinal THC strains for stress and pain relief. I know the courts have supported the medicinal cause, but it is a time and money hassle to pursue. I hope in 5 years that the medicinal side of legalization hasn't lost it's will to fight and we can get the Government to fix the current system.

Peace. :peace:

B.C. . . .

They have clarified some of the details

• Smoking marijuana will generally be allowed in public spaces where tobacco smoking and vaping are permitted. However, smoking and vaping of non-medical marijuana will be banned in areas frequented by children, including community beaches, parks and playgrounds.
  • B.C. will allow adults to grow up to four cannabis plants per household but the plants must not be visible from public spaces off the property. Home cultivation of non-medical cannabis will be banned in dwellings used as daycares. In addition, landlords and strata councils will be able to restrict or prohibit home cultivation
  • Anyone 19 years old or older will be allowed to possess up to 30 grams of non-medical cannabis in a public place
  • landlords and strata councils will be able to restrict or prohibit non-medical cannabis smoking and vaping at tenanted and strata properties.
  • The federal government has indicated that they want to take a look at the medical cannabis system within five years

Source: Global News

Ian

I'm sure there will be many fighting to keep medical if for nothing else than to keep plant counts!

Once people get some experience even the recreational users shouldn't have any issues pulling a pound off four plants at least 3 times a year.

In the Senate today - the highly anticipated minister's question period nothing new was said other than the gov't will need 8 to 12 weeks to open the stores after Royal assent. So a July launch needs passage in April or very early May. The clock is ticking.

The other takeaway is the opposition revealed their issues. Think of the children (of course), home grows, Cayman numbered companies as shareholders in LPs and we need more time. 80 years (?) of prohibition just hasn't been enough . . .

Ian

Oh and one senator seems to think that we all smoke joints mixed with tobacco . . .

Ian

I'm sure there will be many fighting to keep medical if for nothing else than to keep plant counts!

Once people get some experience even the recreational users shouldn't have any issues pulling a pound off four plants at least 3 times a year.

Honestly I think there will be an initial surge of growers and once people figure out it takes some effort and know how to grow commercial quality stuff they'll give up and just buy it. Same with booze. I made beer for a few years before I had the equipment and know how to make really good stuff like a micro brew.

Honestly I think there will be an initial surge of growers and once people figure out it takes some effort and know how to grow commercial quality stuff they'll give up and just buy it. Same with booze. I made beer for a few years before I had the equipment and know how to make really good stuff like a micro brew.

Too true. A lot of cheap grow equipment will be on Kijiji in 2019 . . .

Ian

"The Trudeau government is moving to ensure the Senate doesn’t hold up its plans to legalize recreational marijuana in July.

The government’s representative in the upper house, Sen. Peter Harder, served notice Tuesday that he wants second reading debate on Bill C-45 wrapped up by March 1, after which it would go to committee for detailed examination before returning to the chamber for a final debate and vote.

If the various Senate factions won’t agree to that timetable, Harder warned he’ll move a motion to impose time allocation to cut off debate — the first time he’s threatened to resort to that tactic since taking on the role of government representative two years ago."

Source: National Post

Ian

"The Trudeau government is moving to ensure the Senate doesn't hold up its plans to legalize recreational marijuana in July.

The government's representative in the upper house, Sen. Peter Harder, served notice Tuesday that he wants second reading debate on Bill C-45 wrapped up by March 1, after which it would go to committee for detailed examination before returning to the chamber for a final debate and vote.

If the various Senate factions won't agree to that timetable, Harder warned he'll move a motion to impose time allocation to cut off debate – the first time he's threatened to resort to that tactic since taking on the role of government representative two years ago."

Source: National Post

Ian

Its a done deal anyways cuz the libs are in power and they said they r gonna do it so get it done. Cons can fuck right off in my opinion. Its not a perfect law but a whole hell of a lot better than the exiting one I'll take it.

Hey Kip22,

I'll take it too. But...

C-45 was written by cops, for cops.

I'm an older white male. I own my own home. I live in a rural setting and I have a medical licence. C-45 probably won't affect me.

Now if you are young and/or of colour, you will continue to be subjected to harassment. The cops have not given up their handy tools of harassment, they have just lost the ability to bust you for simple possession. That doesn't mean they can't detain you or take your stash. Too many new laws in C-45 and C-46. Too many grey areas.

The real work around legalization begins with the passage of C-45 and C-46. Jodi Emery is right, this is Prohibition 2.0 and we will have to change it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Peace. :peace:
Its a done deal anyways cuz the libs are in power and they said they r gonna do it so get it done. Cons can fuck right off in my opinion. Its not a perfect law but a whole hell of a lot better than the exiting one I'll take it.

"The Senate will only vote on the legalization of cannabis in June, which all but guarantees that the government will miss its July deadline to lift the 95-year-old prohibition on the drug, sources said.

The government tried this week to impose an aggressive timeline to ensure that Bill C-45 would be adopted in May. This would have allowed the legal market for cannabis to open up about two months later, in July.

However, the Liberals faced vigorous opposition to their proposal from the independents and the Conservatives in the Senate, the sources said.

Under a new proposal that is set to be made public by the government on Thursday, the legislation will come up for a third-reading vote in the Senate on June 7."

Source: The Globe & Mail

That means that July will be next-to-impossible & even August might be tight.

Ian

...It appears to me that a vast number of people are now only geting there news from Facebook...perhaps a return to mainstream media would be a good thing...

Mainstream media? Don't make me spew! Those ID 10 T's manipulate the news to further their own views and opinions. Professionals? When was the last time you saw a news cast, or read a newspaper free of grammatical errors? Currently mainstream media is a propaganda machine with the sole purpose of manipulating public opinion.

Ontario

A new name & a new logo for the Ontario retail stores . . .

full

Ian

Back
Top Bottom