Bill C-45: Canada's Legalization, The Drama Revs Up

It's going to take years to finalize the legislation. Ottawa, and most of the provinces are messing up by the numbers. Many people are going to be hurt by being used as test cases for the legislation. There's no set limit as to how much you can have at home. You are not allowed to sell it, or be in possession for the purposes of trafficking. OK, so what is the maximum? Probably the same as in tax law, a 'reasonable' amount. Well I was told by an auditor, just as some poor schmuck will be told by an officer 'reasonable is whatever I decide.' This is just one of the points that desperately needs to be clarified before it's passed into law.

Saskatchewan . . .

They finally announced their policy.

Key details in Saskatchewan's cannabis legalization plan include:
  • 19 will be the minimum legal age of consumption for cannabis
  • Limit of four cannabis plants per household
  • Limit of 30 grams of cannabis per consumer
  • 51 retail cannabis permits available in 32 communities to private retailers approved by the Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority
Source: CBC News

The worst part is the committee is made up of Big Pharma reps, and they have no interest in legalizing cannabis.

Worse than that, they have a vested financial interest in preventing legalization for any purpose. Did you notice that they are pressuring Canada to revoke personal medical grow licenses?

I saw that too... i am very curious what the gov. plans on doing about this treaty... not sure why we didn't withdraw when we had time...

Hi All,

I kinda think that there is some arm twisting going on, but the U.N. doesn't seem to want a big confrontation. Canada is by no means the leader in progressive cannabis drug policy, but we are amongst the outsiders challenging the status quo.

Portugal decriminalized drugs 17 years ago. Uruguay, the FIRST country to (re-) Legalize cannabis in December 2013, led the way on this issue. Columbia's Constitutional Court decriminalized cannabis in 2015. Columbia then embarked on a legal medical cannabis policy that has them planning on exporting processed medical cannabis. Canada will be next with the passage of C-45 and C-46.

I don't think the U.N. can put the medical cannabis genie back in its bottle but they will continue to combat recreational cannabis use. Progressive governments will either get an exemption for recreational use or ignore the treaty. It will only be newsworthy when a country drops out of the treaty.

Peace :peace:

I'm so glad to be growing my own

That is really the only solution. It is turning from an illicit drug into a commodity. Pricing will be what the market can bear with the usual sin taxes spread amongst all of the open hands. Look at menu pricing in the legal US states. It ain't cheap south of the border & ours won't be either once they crush the MOMs.

Ian

I was originally excited about legalization, but the closer we get, the more I am opposed to the way it is being done... Initially I thought it was what I'd been waiting for my whole life (I'm 58), but now, it's seriously flawed....

Hi odam2k,

I'm 57 and have always been a supporter of legalization, though from the sidelines, not on the field.

I came to realize that here in Ontario it is wrong to put cannabis into the LCBO for several reasons. It sends the message of mixing cannabis and alcohol as OK and secondly, it would put undue stress on the recovering alcoholics who partake in this wonderful plant.

Anyway, like yourself I have come to realize that the Trudeau Government's plan will not legalize cannabis in the way I envisioned.

I thought we'd bring in the growers and retailers who have led the way and have them as the backbone of the system.

I thought we'd pardon possession convictions, re-unite families torn apart by the cannabis laws who took the children from parents and apologize to everybody. I thought we would take away the racist and ageist tools the cops use on visible minorities and youth and replace it with a fair and just system.

But no, that was never in the cards. Trudeau and Company let the cops write the legalization laws. How f*cked up is that?

At this point it does not affect me. My spouse and I own our own property and both of us have prescriptions. I am committed to continue fighting this fight on principal. But at some point, we may move to an apartment and be at the mercy of a landlord. I hope others realize we have a long way to go and the fight has only just begun.

Peace. :peace:

Hi odam2k,
At this point it does not affect me. My spouse and I own our own property and both of us have prescriptions. I am committed to continue fighting this fight on principal. But at some point, we may move to an apartment and be at the mercy of a landlord. I hope others realize we have a long way to go and the fight has only just begun.

Peace. :peace:

We just moved back into an apartment building last summer. About 3 or 4 months ago, they changed it for new tenants, they will pay their own hydro, so we're lucky we got in when we did :)
I actually put in a work order to fix the seal around our door so my smoke doesn't bother the neighbors... There's enough pot smoke in the hallways as it is, lol...

I hope recreational won't be this much, but I would bet mo ey it is! These companies are flat out taking advantage of the sick! Grow your own and boycott these jerks!

Rex aka Sour Tangie is not worth $17.50 a gram at no stronger than 15%!

Did you see the prices on clones? They go from $40 up to $100's. The selection of dried flower and clones is horrendous. If they try to sell that to a legal market, the black market will thrive, rather than disappear.

I was with Aurora, and the thing I hated was you would finally find a strain you like, and they never had it in stock again :( At least now, once I've picked my favs, I can just keep growing it as long as I like...

Back
Top Bottom