Bradkb's First DWC Grow

So I have some seeds that I bought in Canada. Had to go up there for work, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone. The only problem is that the Toronto 420 Seed bank is only open form 9:00 to 5:00, that sucks I can't make it there during business hours. So I went to another seed bank called the Canadian seed exhchange. All I could afford was a "seed bank mix" their prices were a little "high", but at least I have some decent strains, not sure which ones, but it should be better than just bag seed.

Hey bradkb, Are you using the hygrozyme in your regular res changes? And peroxide?
I see that slime on the thermo but GH nutes should not due that. Looks like your just running air pumps only for the buckets is that correct?

If your not mixing peroxide and hygozyme, then give the buckets a good flush, filling and emptying a few times. If your mixing the two items that most likely is the cause of the slime. The two products are the opposite one is bacteria the other kills it, as it looks like you mentioned that. Kinda looks like protein maybe a protein skimmer will help. lol fish joke.

I don't think it is bubbler related unless it is clogged. A 5" stone should be more then enough unless its underpowered. I run the smallest cheapest 1" stones. I run one to a 5 gallon bucket and have been just fine.

Hey bradkb, Are you using the hygrozyme in your regular res changes? And peroxide?
I see that slime on the thermo but GH nutes should not due that. Looks like your just running air pumps only for the buckets is that correct?

If your not mixing peroxide and hygozyme, then give the buckets a good flush, filling and emptying a few times. If your mixing the two items that most likely is the cause of the slime. The two products are the opposite one is bacteria the other kills it, as it looks like you mentioned that. Kinda looks like protein maybe a protein skimmer will help. lol fish joke.

I don't think it is bubbler related unless it is clogged. A 5" stone should be more then enough unless its underpowered. I run the smallest cheapest 1" stones. I run one to a 5 gallon bucket and have been just fine.

Yeah, I am using peroxide and Hygrozyme. I wasn't really sure about this combonation, I was trying it because the hygrozyme bottle says that it is compatible with peroxide. I'm going to eliminate the hygrozyme on the next nutrient change.

I read something interesting about creating an enviroment for good bacteria in the root zone. It said to add a small filter bag of perilite to the tank. I have a link to follow, but not with me. I'll post it tonight when i get home.

It's the hygrozyme that's causing that slime. For the time being give em a good flush and then just run your GH nutes. Go back to the basics. Then as everything is going well add one thing at a time so you can really see if it helps or hurts.

Good bacteria in the roots is great, but very hard to keep going in a hydro setup. If you can keep the bacteria alive then great but when it dies it creates a lot of havoc on the roots and plant. Only through experience have I found that out. I have used the OrganismsXL and AN's piraña and tarantula only to have them cause issues in hydro. So I use them in dirt.

Hydro is rather clean so it does not need the beneficials like dirt since everything is provided in a ready to eat nute food.

The largest majority of Deep Water Culture use a submersive water pump, a water pump in the water, with a feeder tube running from the water pump to the grow cup. It feeds it WATER< AIR and NUTES, in a bubbley trickle. As it runs out of the grow cup, and runs or falls down, the roots follow it, and are fed, and grow longer and much faster.

WITHOUT THAT FEEDING SYSTEM, YOU CAN NOT EXPECT YOURS TO GROW EQUALLY AS FAST AS EVERYONE ELSES GROWS.

The largest majority of Deep Water Culture use a submersive water pump, a water pump in the water, with a feeder tube running from the water pump to the grow cup. It feeds it WATER< AIR and NUTES, in a bubbley trickle. As it runs out of the grow cup, and runs or falls down, the roots follow it, and are fed, and grow longer and much faster.

WITHOUT THAT FEEDING SYSTEM, YOU CAN NOT EXPECT YOURS TO GROW EQUALLY AS FAST AS EVERYONE ELSES GROWS.

I agree 100%. The next grow I do I'm going to def use this method.

So I havent really been home since Tuesday. I have to go out of town every once in a while for work. I trained my roommate on how to check the PH and had him keep an eye on things.

I was very surprised when I got home. There was a growth explosion. The roots have gone into the deep water, and the slime has corrected itself. These things are literally growing like weeds. I did a res change today, and omited the hygrozyme. I tend to agree with what Frosty Buds was saying about the whole bacteria thing.

I have fans blowing on the res from both sides and it has decreased the temp down to about 70 degrees.

The folloing posts will be each plant individually.

Plant 1 - I think that this is the best looking one out of the group

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Plant 4 - I burnt this one pretty bad with over fert. I kept it going to see if I could fix it. Just good troubleshooting experience for when I grow the good stuff. (Plants 2 & 3 did not make it past seedling stage)

Picture006-1.jpg

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Plant 5 - This one was the runt of the group, but not anymore. Some of the fan leaves on this one are as big as my hand.

Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Here is the whole family together.

Picture018.jpg

I went to the Hydro store today and picked some more air stones. I found these, they are pretty nice. They are large, and have some weight to them. So now each bucket has a 5" airstone, and one of these. The bubbles surround the roots now.

Picture005-1.jpg

That the air stone I use. Oxystone I believe. It takes a good sized air pump the "fully inflate" that air stone. They are heavy as hell for their size and stay where you put them. I have one under each plant and at the end of the grow the roots are usually hugging the air stone and sort of grow around it if you're not careful. Not necessarily a bad thing though.

You've come a long way in a short time bradkb!

bradkb, Nice family you got growin there ! How do you like those hangers ? I've seen them in catalogs and wondered if they would hold a good sized light ? My one closet has all the lights either taped up or tied up like you had. Do those adjust easily ? Thanks guy , kick ass air stones too !! :peace:

Be careful with those light hangers. I have had a few break. They are good for 8 lbs. Work great on small light stuff but not really good for hanging HID hoods.

Your plants are looking awesome. Gratz on the grow!

Regarding the hangers, I started out with a set of those on my T-5 light, but I really didn't like adjusting them of the amount of swing I got when I did. Didn't leave me feeling secure about the stability of my lights or quadruple square knots. I switched over to $10 of chain and another pair of those snaps and I haven't worried since.

Back
Top Bottom