Brand new seedling and light requirements?

Seniorweeder

After about 11 days and 3 different germination techniques I finally got my "CB Diesel" seed to open today, its in a small "Peat Pellet". I am half way into making my own grow box so It will be a couple more days before I get to use it with my "Growstar" 600 watt light in it. My question is, will the tiny seedling be ok in my bathroom window which faces south for a good 6 or 7 hours of direct daylight for a while or should I push to get into the grow box for the 18/6 light schedule?

Attachments

• First Germ 10-17-20.JPG
    First Germ 10-17-20.JPG
    734.4 KB · Views: 34
Those peat pellets look too wet, that can lead to a condition called damping off where the seedling just dies. Also be sure to cut the membrane or skin off the pellet at transplant. Roots are supposed to grow thru the membrane or skin but I’ve done root autopsy or rootopsy as we call it and found 8 inch tall seedlings where the roots never penetrated the skin.

Thanks again soooooo much "013", never thought of too much water. Btw Im trying to get my grow box up and running tomorrow, my light source is a Growstar 600 watt LED, the box is 2' X4' and 65 " tall. What is the recommended height from the seedling and should I go right into a 18/6 schedule ? I greatly appreciate your help!

Senior, Overwatering is very common, so is watering too often.... both are serious. I would start at 30 inches but for now the seedling needs to stand up and stick out it’s cotyledons, the 2 rounded leaves. They are leaves but also food source for the plant should it run low. A compact fluorescent light is good for first day & can be placed really close. Yes 18/6,

Also it’s important to know if thats an photoperiod or autoflower, you should specify too each time when asking for help so we know exactly what you’ve got.... the rules are different on auto vs photoperiod

what kind of soil or medium will these grow up in?

Being a true 140W I would start at 24-30" and if your seedlings begins to stretch bring down in 4" increments.
As @013 suggests easy on the water. I use a condiment bottle and keep pellet weight between 22-42 grams.

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_211326875.jpg
    IMG_20200314_211326875.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200318_064957743.jpg
    IMG_20200318_064957743.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 18
Ok guys, im officially frustrated, the above pictured seedling shriveled up after 2 hours under my grow bulb, I guess "013" was right about the "damping off" problem. Btw the seeds are a feminized photo variety called "CB Diesel". My latest effort is soaking my last 2 seeds for 18 hours as recommend by the seller and putting one in a Coco Coir cup and one in a Peat Pellet, I've had it with the paper towel method. PLEASE advise on proper watering to help germination and as well as after it pops up? Also I've included a pic of a cheap 60 watt grow bulb I used on the last seedling. If one of my last seeds pops should I used that bulb for a few days or get it under my Growstar 600 watt LED at 30 inches?

Attachments

• Grow Bulb 60 watt.JPG
    Grow Bulb 60 watt.JPG
    932.1 KB · Views: 19
Ok guys, im officially frustrated, the above pictured seedling shriveled up after 2 hours under my grow bulb, I guess "013" was right about the "damping off" problem. Btw the seeds are a feminized photo variety called "CB Diesel". My latest effort is soaking my last 2 seeds for 18 hours as recommend by the seller and putting one in a Coco Coir cup and one in a Peat Pellet, I've had it with the paper towel method. PLEASE advise on proper watering to help germination and as well as after it pops up? Also I've included a pic of a cheap 60 watt grow bulb I used on the last seedling. If one of my last seeds pops should I used that bulb for a few days or get it under my Growstar 600 watt LED at 30 inches?
I think you should have just put it in the window till you got your box together. And you don’t need to take the wrap off the peat pellet. You should visit Emilya and she will become your best friend with a green thumb! I love her, she is awesome!

Here’s link to that article Emilya - How to water potted plant.
Not sure but either damping off or perhaps that 60 watt grow bulb may have cooked it... a compact fluorescent bulb runs cool and can be placed in very close proximity.

I’ve done numerous root autopsies on dead seedlings and the common denominator I found was where the roots never penetrated the membrane. I actually like the peat pellets and I know roots are supposed to grow right thru them but I know myself and several other growers here that have had failures with the skin on peat pellets.... but whatevs.

the article on watering is good but its mostly for plants - not seedlings. If you water the whole cup or peat pellets that way it will probably lead to disaster. Tiny amounts of water like half a teaspoon but most want to water it 2X per day - every day... which makes the roots lazy and can lead to drowning the roots.. think slightly damp but not wet. If it’s damp then don’t add water...

lights most run 18/6

germing.... I don’t do paper towel either, soak beans for 24 hrs, plant in cup or peat pellets, germ in dark warm place, no lights until cotyledons (2 rounded leaves that are both solar panels and backup food supply) but no lights until cotys are open

Not sure but either damping off or perhaps that 60 watt grow bulb may have cooked it... a compact fluorescent bulb runs cool and can be placed in very close proximity.

I’ve done numerous root autopsies on dead seedlings and the common denominator I found was where the roots never penetrated the membrane. I actually like the peat pellets and I know roots are supposed to grow right thru them but I know several others here that have had failures with the skin on peat pellets.... but whatevs
Thanks bro, I’m not good at computers. How did you make that link? And make it green?

I

I’ve done numerous root autopsies on dead seedlings and the common denominator I found was where the roots never penetrated the membrane. I actually like the peat pellets and I know roots are supposed to grow right thru them but I know myself and several other growers here that have had failures with the skin on peat pellets.... but whatevs.

the article on watering is good but its mostly for plants - not seedlings. If you water the whole cup or peat pellets that way it will probably lead to disaster. Tiny amounts of water like half a teaspoon but most want to water it 2X per day - every day... which makes the roots lazy and can lead to drowning the roots.. think slightly damp but not wet. If it’s damp then don’t add water...

lights most run 18/6

germing.... I don’t do paper towel either, soak beans for 24, plant in pellet, germ in dark warm place, no lights until cotyledons (2 rounded leaves that are both solar panels and backup food supply) but no lights until cotys are open
was just trying to find her with that article, but yeah. And it wouldn’t hurt to take that wrapper off. Emilya is awesome and will get dude in the right direction.

you probably cooked the seedling with that incandescent light.
let's have a look at that growstar. the name alone does not inspire confidence, but it's probably a perfect seedling light.

No worries! Ok first you find the page you want and then click up in the browers address window up top and do a copy then find your way back to the place where you want to post that link and click on the chain or 2 chains linked together symbol. Then in top box right click and paste the address you just copied then in lower box give it a title like XYZ does topping and you are done. It turns green automatically- all hyperlinks are green whether a 420 internal link or an external link for reference like a vendor site on seeds

what are specs on those strips @Edzzed ?

you can get commercial aluminum cookie sheets up to about 4 x 4 ... would love to see a build that big .. lol :p
have a look at your sheet, then go look at the wafer thin hoods a lot of commercial led lights are using .. i'd go cookie sheet too.

Back
Top Bottom