Brand new seedling and light requirements?

Here’s link to that article Emilya - How to water potted plant.
Not sure but either damping off or perhaps that 60 watt grow bulb may have cooked it... a compact fluorescent bulb runs cool and can be placed in very close proximity.

I’ve done numerous root autopsies on dead seedlings and the common denominator I found was where the roots never penetrated the membrane. I actually like the peat pellets and I know roots are supposed to grow right thru them but I know myself and several other growers here that have had failures with the skin on peat pellets.... but whatevs.

the article on watering is good but its mostly for plants - not seedlings. If you water the whole cup or peat pellets that way it will probably lead to disaster. Tiny amounts of water like half a teaspoon but most want to water it 2X per day - every day... which makes the roots lazy and can lead to drowning the roots.. think slightly damp but not wet. If it’s damp then don’t add water...

lights most run 18/6

germing.... I don’t do paper towel either, soak beans for 24 hrs, plant in cup or peat pellets, germ in dark warm place, no lights until cotyledons (2 rounded leaves that are both solar panels and backup food supply) but no lights until cotys are open
As always , thanks a bunch "013" for your input, thats exactly what I needed about the watering and no lights until they Coty. For now I was concerned about the room being too cool while everybody talks about being "in a a dark warm place", so I now have them on pan on a heating pad to add heat, and they are in the dark in my vanity. Fingers crossed, its my last 2 seeds! Thanks friend!

You can just put the pellets in a small container. Now add small amounts of water to that container, Not the pellet, and let the pellet absorb it from the bottom. At that size it shouldn't take an eye dropper full once a day, to give it what it needs to get going for a couple days. It should be in some larger container after it has cotys and the first set of leaves are open. I hate them and wont ever use them again, I could see it if I was thinking of soil less growing or using free baggie seeds but F putting out good money to watch them damp off time and again. I'd go to work, come home 8 hrs later and the seedlings are laying down dead.
Watch the heating pad because those are hot not warm, if you have a plant warming pad then it shouldn't be a problem.

what are specs on those strips @Edzzed ?

you can get commercial aluminum cookie sheets up to about 4 x 4 ... would love to see a build that big .. lol :p
have a look at your sheet, then go look at the wafer thin hoods a lot of commercial led lights are using .. i'd go cookie sheet too.
They are rated to 85 watts each. They are LM301B strips. I negotiated a price for 6 2700K and 6 3500K strips. I don't recall what I paid for them but with drivers, wiring, aluminum, cookies sheets, Sticky tape and thermostat wire it came in around 420 USD. I have zero regrets on it.

Ok guys, Im super excited to finally have 2 seedlings pop up this weekend, on my birthday actually, after loosing 5 expensive seeds already trying to other germ methods. Here is a pic of my new girls , my question is do they look healthy so far, im nervous over doing some thing wrong and loosing my last 2 seeds? They look a bit spindly to me, Im putting about the amount of the top of a 16 oz water bottle full at the base of the pellet "per advise from SoGnotSOG321" twice a day, they re in the dark on a heating pad for now!

Attachments

• Dawn 10-25-20.JPG
    Dawn 10-25-20.JPG
    880.7 KB · Views: 31
they are seriously lacking light. i don't know what you've got them under but there is no chance it is adequate. get them under a grow light or even some t5s now.

edit: also get them in some media to support the stems.

Thanks but man this is confusing, one person on here told me to keep them in the dark until the first 2 sets of leaves appear! Can u please show me what a T5 looks like, Im so new at this! I am making my own Grow Box and my light source is a Growstar 600 watt LED, would that be safe this early? I greatly appreciate you help friend!

Mmm

After 9 years of growing & using peat pellets or pucks.

I've never had a problem with roots penetrating the membrane of the pellet or puck... any comment regarding this is clearly hearsay or lack of experience !

Safe hanging distance of bulbs is another question at hand as these may produce heat which can damage plants if to close... hence wilted looking plants.

That applies to any light source you are using.

Thanks but man this is confusing, one person on here told me to keep them in the dark until the first 2 sets of leaves appear!

crap no he's an idiot or you misunderstood.

get it under that light at 24 - 30 inches above. i'm not sure those will make it now. they want light right as they emerge. the cots have held off opening because there was nothing to feed them ( light ! ), if they don't get it yesterday they may not have enough energy to open and continue..

you might need this :

Thanks but man this is confusing, one person on here told me to keep them in the dark until the first 2 sets of leaves appear! Can u please show me what a T5 looks like, Im so new at this! I am making my own Grow Box and my light source is a Growstar 600 watt LED, would that be safe this early? I greatly appreciate you help friend!
Have a look @ my journal Variety promix HP LED grow . I have a seedling going currently. Might help to take a look.

Ideally when growing seedlings I like to soak them in diluted liquinox b-1 for 12-24 hours, then put them in a paper towel & dampen, then plant after sprout with tail facing downwards in the prepared growing medium under the grow light with no additional nutrients added & lightly mist/spray area the seed was planted with water.

You don't want the entire growing medium drenched but rather damp surrounding the area the seed is planted.
Too much water will suffocate the roots if they can't access oxygen/co2 , and they only need enough water to replace the water they lose.

After planting them I'd put them directly under the grow light or by the window so they know which way the surface is.
If they don't have enough light they will stretch in search of it.
A window will typically be sufficient for sprouting but they will be more likely to stretch. If you sprout them in a window I'd recommend moving under a light asap.

windows are not good for seedlings, unless you're in spain or jamaica. stretchy seedlings aren't good. put it under proper light.

I made the comment about cutting the membrane off, I’ve had seedlings that died because the roots never penetrated the skin. I’m not the only person here to suggest cutting the skin off peat pellets right before transplant, seems InTheShed renders same advice...

I’m also the idiot that said wait for cotys to open before giving light. I try to be accurate but sometimes miss the mark, I do end any advice with.... that’s my 2 cents - see what other replies comes in.

Before I ever joined or posted a single message at 420 Magazine I consumed at least 2000 pages here, all of Docs journals, In the Lab, High Brix, Neikodog, Graytail, BoBrown14, Emilya, CajunCelt, 420Motoco, SweetSue and numerous others.

Yes I’ve screwed up on some answers but if you search my handle you will discover that I’ve asked about 3 questions total and given in excess of 100 pages worth of answers. My first harvest was in Jan of 2020, I’ve never pretended to be an expert.

Not too shabby for a new grower who’s been nominated for MoTM twice since joining in April this year. I’m not foolish enough to think I ever stood a chance of winning when there are so many who deserve it much more than I ever will.

Show me another newbie grower that has hit the ground running like this and I‘ll kiss your ass in the courthouse square and give you two weeks to draw a crowd.

Mmm

I've never had a problem with roots penetrating the membrane of the pellet or puck... any comment regarding this is clearly hearsay or lack of experience !

Safe hanging distance of bulbs is another question at hand as these may produce heat which can damage plants if to close... hence wilted looking plants.

Mmm

Thank u soooooo much, this is a big help and I greatly need help! Your pictures are awesome and inspiring. One im guessing big difference is yours are "Autos" and im trying to grow Cb Diesel "photos!

Ok guys, I am overwhelmed by the support u all bring to the table, Im so happy to have joined this group! As of 1 hour ago I took the advise of a few and put my skinny girl in a Solo cup and added Coco and Perlite slightly above the pellet to support the skinny stem, the other one is also in a Coco cup. Per the manual that came with my LED light I have hung the grow light at 38" above the seedlings and added some water at the base of he cups, and a few drops at top of the pellet to help the roots because the pellets are getting dry! My box will be complete tomorrow, so for now I may not have a perfect 18/6 light timing, is this absolutely crucial at this point? Thanks a ton!

I made the comment about cutting the membrane off, I’ve had seedlings that died because the roots never penetrated the skin. I’m not the only person here to suggest cutting the skin off peat pellets right before transplant, seems InTheShed renders same advice...

I’m also the idiot that said wait for cotys to open before giving light. I try to be accurate but sometimes miss the mark, I do end any advice with.... that’s my 2 cents - see what other replies comes in.

Before I ever joined or posted a single message at 420 Magazine I consumed at least 2000 pages here, all of Docs journals, In the Lab, High Brix, Neikodog, Graytail, BoBrown14, Emilya, CajunCelt, 420Motoco, SweetSue and numerous others.

Yes I’ve screwed up on some answers but if you search my handle you will discover that I’ve asked about 3 questions total and given in excess of 100 pages worth of answers. My first harvest was in Jan of 2020, I’ve never pretended to be an expert.

Not too shabby for a new grower who’s been nominated for MoTM twice since joining in April this year. I’m not foolish enough to think I ever stood a chance of winning when there are so many who deserve it much more than I ever will.

Show me another newbie grower that has hit the ground running like this and I‘ll kiss your ass in the courthouse square and give you two weeks to draw a crowd.
Man "013", what a background u have , very impressive stuff for what u call as a Newbie, I appreciate all your time and advise for sure! Thanks. TON!

Have a look @ my journal Variety promix HP LED grow . I have a seedling going currently. Might help to take a look.

Ideally when growing seedlings I like to soak them in diluted liquinox b-1 for 12-24 hours, then put them in a paper towel & dampen, then plant after sprout with tail facing downwards in the prepared growing medium under the grow light with no additional nutrients added & lightly mist/spray area the seed was planted with water.

You don't want the entire growing medium drenched but rather damp surrounding the area the seed is planted.
Too much water will suffocate the roots if they can't access oxygen/co2 , and they only need enough water to replace the water they lose.

After planting them I'd put them directly under the grow light or by the window so they know which way the surface is.
If they don't have enough light they will stretch in search of it.
A window will typically be sufficient for sprouting but they will be more likely to stretch. If you sprout them in a window I'd recommend moving under a light asap.
MAN O MAN, your input is highly valuable and appreciated, I really enjoyed reading this. I am getting a bit stressed over it all because I paid good money for my 7 seeds and have had "NO" luck with paper towels, or directly in Coco Coir/Perlite, only in the peat pellets, which im having issues with watering and light now. My wife has shut me down on any more expense for now so I am desperate to succeed! I am an avid Vegetable grower with VERY good success, and grew out door Weed in the 70's, but this indoor attempt is kicking my butt to start! Thanks again friend!

Back
Top Bottom