Brightlight's Strain Fest: Organics & LED

Re: Brightlight's Outdoor & LED Gardens

No I planted that little reveg next to that plant but that plant wasnt big and then it seemed like it doubled in size overnight. I was inquiring if it was comfrey because I wanted to use some for compost/teas

Got it... sorry for late reply was catching up and didn't see Rad's post till later!

Awesome looking plants there BL .... harvest time is here, eh?

I've got my hands full right now.... I'm popping REG seeds and turning out a lot of males for some reason. The Difference for me in VEG is I changed to all COB lamps. I'm wondering if lighting can cause more males... to early to draw any real conclusions and I don't know anything about it .... All my clones are digging the new lighting but my REG seed plants have all been male so far. Good thing I have clones!

Beautiful plants you have there and great pics too!

re: Brightlight's Strain Fest - Organics & LED

There are studies showing light does indeed influence sex expression. Red, Far Red mainly from what I remember. Cobs have a lot less. There's a sticky here somewhere. So do other factors, RH, temp, during germ and the first couple weeks. Soil conditions too. Even oil secretions in the air, from other plants, I'd assume. It all matters. With all that said, so do the beans though. :)

There are studies showing light does indeed influence sex expression. Red, Far Red mainly from what I remember. Cobs have a lot less. There's a sticky here somewhere. So do other factors, RH, temp, during germ and the first couple weeks. Soil conditions too. Even oil secretions in the air, from other plants, I'd assume. It all matters. With all that said, so do the beans though. :)

Have you ever asked the plant?
Maybe it identifies as female, yet shows as male. Or perhaps it's gender fluid. Geesh, the nerve of some people! ..

Have you ever asked the plant?
Maybe it identifies as female, yet shows as male. Or perhaps it's gender fluid. Geesh, the nerve of some people! .藍.藍

I was in a grow shop yesterday, and a similar remark slipped out in front the female owner. I have no filter sometimes. I was talking about subjects that were complete bullshite...like economics and then I referenced 'gender studies'. Once it left my mouth, I knew her face was going to go all stinky....confirming her major. I'm probably going to have to use Amazon more in the future lol. :rofl:

I've got my hands full right now.... I'm popping REG seeds and turning out a lot of males for some reason. The Difference for me in VEG is I changed to all COB lamps. I'm wondering if lighting can cause more males... to early to draw any real conclusions and I don't know anything about it .... All my clones are digging the new lighting but my REG seed plants have all been male so far. Good thing I have clones!

Don't know if your COB lights are dimmable but my 1st thought was maybe too much light in veg? IDK. For me ~300w has been plenty for veg., increase some in mid to late veg. :Namaste:

Don't know if your COB lights are dimmable but my 1st thought was maybe too much light in veg? IDK. For me ~300w has been plenty for veg., increase some in mid to late veg. :Namaste:

Yes BL that is a good point.. as well as CS view there as well.. I have a shelf in VEG with smaller plants on the shelf with a COB 3K so red.... turned down but not half way down about 3/4's down. One plant on the shelf started turning male on me in VEG.... so tossed. The other 3 I had there were stressing.... I turned the lamp down to under 1/2 way down and they perked up. Could be too late tho.

In my VEG room I have 6 VERO 29's turned down of course - they were purchased for flower but I already had a run going so put them in VEG and started another room full of Purple Autos (DDA) with the burple lights I was using in VEG and another COB array. That setup is working perfectly.

Anyway.. so yeah the VEG room all the clones TOOK OFF big time, I've got 1 6' monster (she tripled in stretch - Chemdawg btw) and 2 more Chemdawg clones that well look just like her 6' sister going into flower today. All the seedlings are turning into males .. got 4 of 9 now, hopefully I've just picked the wrong plants to go to flower but besides the one plant that went male in VEG the other 3 I could not tell the sex until a week into flower. I've got I think 5 more seedlings in VEG ... hopefully 1 will be a female. Just this one strain I'm having issues sexing them, usually I'm spot on but 0 for 3... sucks.

IF I use COBs in VEG again I'm going to include some blue VEG lights to go along with.

Hmmm but Chemdawg is a clone only strain. How can you have males? Is it from a good source?

Stress can be a factor as well. Males are quicker and don't have to produce seed, so it could be biologically advantageous to express as male, given certain environmental information. Those COBs might be light stressing them into thinking they popped in mid-late summer, and have to decide how to best push their genetics forward in time....seed or seed. :)

Stress can be a factor as well. Males are quicker and don't have to produce seed, so it could be biologically advantageous to express as male, given certain environmental information. Those COBs might be light stressing them into thinking they popped in mid-late summer, and have to decide how to best push their genetics forward in time....seed or seed. :)
Yeah stress is possible, but to get 4 males of a mother means something's completely wrong with the setup. If it's from S1 seed then herming might be involved, which means somebody didn't have a stable clone.

Hmmm but Chemdawg is a clone only strain. How can you have males? Is it from a good source?
There's about 9000 sellers of "chemdawg" seeds these days. Wether they have any merit, is the question. Given the money grab state of the modern green rush, I'd default to answering "most likely not." The same goes for Gorilla Glue #4 (a joke imo) Sour D, and the OGKs, among others. Legit P1 stock is a rarity these days.

Sorry, was he not referencing seedlings instead of cuts?

I read that to understand that seedlings didn't show sex (prob not enough root), and later turned out to be predominately male, instead of female, like normal.

Female cuts growing as males, sounds like an entirely different thing - an intersexed mom plant imo.

According to the legend, there was once a single male Chemdog seed, and it was culled by Chem himself - think it was Chem#2. If they are all selfed fems, I would love to know why Chem was culling a male. Lots of inconsistency in that story, sounds like it's about half true. :)

Hmm I think there was a mother and clones, but I don't know the source of the mother. We're gonna probably find out pretty soon.

No, BL, am not using them, but am interested in the controller system for spectrum control. The evolution of LED, which I have yet to use, interests me greatly. .

No not males of Chemdawg... actually I've never had any male Chem-d now that you mention it.

I'm getting males from seedlings of Exotic Genetix Labyrinth (reg seeds), they are in the same VEG room with a bunch of Chem-d clones I've been running for several runs now. Sorry for the confusion.

Yes it seems to be light stress... I had a new set of COB leds in VEG that I've now moved to the flower room. I have some blue VEG lamps going in VEG and the girls look A LOT happier.

I actually never keep a mom Chem-d... they get too big and I can't keep em small for some reason. I ran 1 seed of Chemdawg I got from Humboldt Seeds back in early 2015... got a pack of 5 and popped one seed just to see what all the fuss was about.

That one plant was purple.... and I've cloned that one probably 30 times at least... have 7 clones from different generations going now and more clone cuttings. Only 1 retained some purple. The big plant I have in VEG right now looks like some early purps on a few fans.. we will see. I actually like the bright green nugs the best for taste and meds... nothing really like it... very distinct smell, flavor and high.

But still you can have seeds from any clone only strain,,, as long as you have a real clone.. Simple selfing. But having a REAL cut of anything, or a seed for that matter is always questionable. Everyone claims to have a cut of all the biggie strains. Do they have one? Or are they simply crosses simaler parentage? Even from a name brand breeder. You can trust a 'factory' sealed package better than then single seed baggies.. Least in my eyes. I've gotten 4 outta 5 males outta a bag of fem seeds before. Something was right. They were all from herbies. Last I bought elsewhere rang true to Flashes claims.. WTF happened? Alot comes down to what I always say,, 3 kinds of weed,, bad, good, and better. All comes down to getting a cut off that better plant... Sure hopefully we get to reap the benefits of these breeders that have massive gardens, that enable them to be able to cull out these exceptional phenos. But alot of times,,,, I wonder?
Is alot of studies with claims of increased female ratios. Temps are a big thing. I do know that. I wonder if that is what happened with my 4 outta 5? Ya'll, Keepem Green

But still you can have seeds from any clone only strain,,, as long as you have a real clone.. Simple selfing. But having a REAL cut of anything, or a seed for that matter is always questionable. Everyone claims to have a cut of all the biggie strains. Do they have one? Or are they simply crosses simaler parentage? Even from a name brand breeder. You can trust a 'factory' sealed package better than then single seed baggies.. Least in my eyes. I've gotten 4 outta 5 males outta a bag of fem seeds before. Something was right. They were all from herbies. Last I bought elsewhere rang true to Flashes claims.. WTF happened? Alot comes down to what I always say,, 3 kinds of weed,, bad, good, and better. All comes down to getting a cut off that better plant... Sure hopefully we get to reap the benefits of these breeders that have massive gardens, that enable them to be able to cull out these exceptional phenos. But alot of times,,,, I wonder?
Is alot of studies with claims of increased female ratios. Temps are a big thing. I do know that. I wonder if that is what happened with my 4 outta 5? Ya'll, Keepem Green

Most of the "heirloom" clones aren't passed around, ever. And even more so now that unscrupulous people are trying to cash in even more. But because of today's shady seed market hundreds of so called breeders are selling the "names" to cash in. And when someone buys from these hacks, of course they use the names they're sold-and the fraud perpetuates itself infinitely. I mean, do you really think these U.K. pollen chuckers have access to NorCal cuts like cookies .? (Fun Fact: The Cookies Family hasn't even let that clone out, yet there's 100s of alleged "cookies" seeds for sale) So, to answer the question "Are these heirlooms (which, btw, "cookies" isn't. It's an overhyped, overrated flavor of the month like GG#4) really available?" Well... LMAO NO. Of course they aren't. But that doesn't stop shitweasels from coopting the names. And it doesn't stop the average consumer from pissing away their money. The same goes for Chem Family gear-it's simply not passed around & there's fewer people than I have fingers on one hand legit breeding with it. You know how to get legit P1 stock? Be a trusted friend of someone who's connected. The harsh reality is otherwise you're pretty much shit out of luck.
Self'd seeds, pretty much suck. And anyone buying them legit deserves the intersex, muddled garbage they'll be getting. Hm. Maybe I could use some more coffee ☕️ .

Back
Top Bottom