Bruce Banner: Search For The Incredible Hulk

Pro Moss is a no go BTW. Still too much ammonia... you can smell it gassing off from the plants. They must grow the peat using ammonia fertilizer. Looks like yard soil is my best bet.

Been lazy (working on the house) and have not transplanted. Wanted to give you an idea of what is going on with the plants. The dark green has faded to a yellowish green as the plants are starving for nitrogen. The small amount of ammonia in the peat is keeping the microbes from flourishing and providing the plant with enough nitrogen (would be the same for a farmer's field or even your lawn if you use chemical fertilizer or have in the past few years). I might just wait and see how long it takes for them to rid the soil of ammonia (an interesting experiment). Here's a couple pics of the same plant about a week later.
IMG_1620.jpg
IMG_1621.jpg

Faded green but not dead yet. Microbes are as slow as plants. This is about a week of cooking on the organic soil mix.

Same thing happens in my yard. My grass is still nice and green even though the weather is getting colder. Couple of pics of the yard.
IMG_1614.jpg
IMG_1615.jpg
IMG_1616.jpg

Just have to give the microbes time to clean up the soil and make themselves a home. My only nitrogen source for the last several years has been blood meal so it works, just have to give it time.

The small amount of ammonia in the peat is keeping the microbes from flourishing and providing the plant with enough nitrogen
This is what is happening in the ocean. The death of billions and billions of microbes (phytoplankton and diatoms) has caused a hole in our ozone and global warming. They provide the oxygen for the entire earth.

I don't even think nitrogen is supposed to be in the soil. Nitrogen fixation in nature occurs in the plant leaves by microbial activity.

That is the essence of organic.

I don't even think nitrogen is supposed to be in the soil.
The blood meal is more a starter fertilizer for the microbes than it is a nitrogen source for the plants. If enough organic matter is present in the soil it should not even be necessary.

They must grow the peat using ammonia fertilizer.
The pigs blood could also have come from a pig fed chemical foods and the alfalfa could have been grown with ammonia. Any one of these is enough to deter microbial growth in the plant. All components were tested with the wet touch method and fell below detectable levels on my skin so could only come from ammonia locked up in the organic matter ie fed ammonia while still alive.

Beginning to see some greening it looks like so hopefully by 2 weeks they will be starting to grow.

I don't even think nitrogen is supposed to be in the soil.
Denitrification occurs all the time in the soil. This is how plants in the wild get nitrogen. No one fertilizes the woods or jungle. All that need be present in healthy soil is the correct concentration of minerals and a healthy microbial colony.

This seems like our best alternative to conventional chemical agriculture. Ammonia is killing the people and animals of the entire ocean and earth. If we cannot produce fertilizer that is ammonia free then we must revert back to older methods or face extinction. It makes people sick when they eat it, stop blaming Covid and face the facts.

I believe the ammonium NH4 is giving up a hydrogen ion and converting back to ammonia NH3 gas. This is probably what is happening in the body and why ammonium is actually a poison. Ammonia combines with water in the soil when applied as a fertilizer creating ammonium... this process is reversible. This is why there is such a strong smell of ammonia when growing plants with ammonium. It also supports @InTheShed theory of acidifying soil with ammonia nitrogen (the hydrogen ion released when ammonium gasses off is the acidifier as pH is a measure of hydrogen ion concentration).

Funny thing with fertilizer is you only need to apply it once per grow. Once the level of nutrient in the soil is at sufficient levels all you need to do is keep it moist. The frequent fertilizer flushes suggested by manufacturers are unnecessary and cause excessive waist to be dumped to sewers. You are simply flushing nutrients through the soil and out the bottom as runoff, environmentally unfriendly and a waist of money. Mineral nutrient will only leave the soil if you rinse them out and denitrification takes a longer time than it does to finish a normal grow. The amount consumed by the plant is negligible compared to the ppm soil levels of nutrient required.

Been trying out PureCal calcium nitrate 13-0-0 with 18% Ca. They claim no ammoniacal nitrogen so no ammonium contamination. From what I can tell so far their claim seems to be true. No ammonia smell and the plant is taking on a nice healthy natural looking green color. Ammonium would cause more yellowing in the leaves in my exp.
PureCal.png

I'm able to completely leave out any ammonium using this product in my mix. The real test will be to actually try some of the plant and see.

I'm back to the drawing board on my organic mix... I'll have to do some more thinking or maybe just let the soil cook for 6 months. I haven't given up on it yet though.

If you have to poop a lot (which is your body trying to get rid of the ammonia) you are probably eating a diet rich in ammonium. It will also make you have the urge to pee a lot too. Again just your body trying to get rid of the ammonia.

If you have to poop a lot (which is your body trying to get rid of the ammonia) you are probably eating a diet rich in ammonium. It will also make you have the urge to pee a lot too. Again just your body trying to get rid of the ammonia.
Waste of good food at the very least if you ask me.

Had some house troubles and had to scale back to just 2 little clones. This is my bruce banner clone I saved out of the last batch of seeds. She is growing in as close to 0 ammonium as I can currently mix. My magnesium nitrate turned out to be tainted with ammonium which puts me around 0.9 ppm ammonium nitrogen. They swapped out my real order with a generic mag nitrate. This plant has been through hell... it was a trial plant for my organic mix and sat in that soil for over a month. She has been repotted at least 4 times but just started to show growth in this last mix.

Lighting might not be the best it is 300W LED.

IMG_1639.jpg

Happy growing and stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom