Bud Washing

I tried water washing some already dried and not cured very well.
I'm going to assume because the buds were already dried is why it did not turn out well.
I used fairly warm water, but not HOT, let the buds soak till the water was cool, rinsed with fresh cool water and repeated the whole process.
The first soak water turned amber, I was hoping that didn't mean my precious trich's were being knocked off.
The second rinse was almost colorless.
Next I hung the buds up over a bowl to catch run off then set a fan directly in front of them to dry.
As I suspected, a LOT of the trich's were lost in the water.
The smoke was for lack of a better word, "blan".
Before the soak there was a small bite from improper cure, but good flavor and stone.
After, not so much.
I'll try on some fresh cut next harvest (Sept.) to see if it helps.
I really do like the idea of cleansing my "salad". lol

I tried water washing some already dried and not cured very well.
I'm going to assume because the buds were already dried is why it did not turn out well.
I used fairly warm water, but not HOT, let the buds soak till the water was cool, rinsed with fresh cool water and repeated the whole process.
The first soak water turned amber, I was hoping that didn't mean my precious trich's were being knocked off.
The second rinse was almost colorless.
Next I hung the buds up over a bowl to catch run off then set a fan directly in front of them to dry.
As I suspected, a LOT of the trich's were lost in the water.
The smoke was for lack of a better word, "blan".
Before the soak there was a small bite from improper cure, but good flavor and stone.
After, not so much.
I'll try on some fresh cut next harvest (Sept.) to see if it helps.
I really do like the idea of cleansing my "salad". lol

Bud washing is for fresh cut in the last hour, harvested product. I wouldn't even wash buds that have been hanging a day. Only the fresh stuff.

I washed my entire harvest. Three basins, the first with lemon juice and baking soda as per Doc Bud. The flowers were perfect in every way after the wash. They dried faster than the same strain last harvest. They have been in the jar for only a week now but the smells are amazing, Certainly not muted in my opinon, as compared to last time. I haven't even smoked any yet but I will tell you unequivocally no harm came to my months of effort.
When we poured out the first and second tub of water my wife said "ewww that's what your breath stinks
Like after you smoke!" I am looking forward to my breath not stinking like that when/after I smoke this harvest!

I washed my entire harvest. Three basins, the first with lemon juice and baking soda as per Doc Bud. The flowers were perfect in every way after the wash. They dried faster than the same strain last harvest. They have been in the jar for only a week now but the smells are amazing, Certainly not muted in my opinon, as compared to last time. I haven't even smoked any yet but I will tell you unequivocally no harm came to my months of effort.
When we poured out the first and second tub of water my wife said "ewww that's what your breath stinks
Like after you smoke!" I am looking forward to my breath not stinking like that when/after I smoke this harvest!

Good job bro!
I thought the first rinse was supposed to be 3% peroxide/water, and the second baking soda/lemon juice, and the remaining rinses in RO/purified water. I'll re-read the thread again.

The peroxide wash is mostly used if you have any worries about rot or PM. It doesn't' hurt anything, just an extra step. If I saw ONE SPOT of mold, I peroxide the entire harvest, then wash as per usual.

Again, once a person tries this they won't go back. Better is better.

I have NEVER ever done this. I do not spray anything on my gurls! have a sterile room. so, seems risky to agitate them around.
maybe 1 day I will give it a go.
my final Ro flushed, then jar cured product so smooth!
I do spritz suspected bud mold spots with Hydrogen peroxide.
Slag

Only on 420 mag are we talking about cutting edge stuff like this! And sorry I never followed thru with any other bud washes.
I can say the bud I washed with Doc Bud's method wasn't harmed in any way and smokes good. So does the bud I washed in RO/peroxide only, so does the unwashed bud. I only did a small sample and there wasn't much foul on the buds anyway. So mine isn't a solid test to report back on, but I can say to any naysayers (are there any?) that bud washing isn't gonna harm your harvest.

An interesting note is that my trim, bubble hash water was very dirty looking. None of the trim was washed.

I have NEVER ever done this. I do not spray anything on my gurls! have a sterile room. so, seems risky to agitate them around.
maybe 1 day I will give it a go.
my final Ro flushed, then jar cured product so smooth!
I do spritz suspected bud mold spots with Hydrogen peroxide.
Slag

I didn't spray anything on my girls in flower either but I think Doc Bud stated something like, even if you don't spray, take a glass table and spray a substance on it that will stay sticky for 8-10 weeks and have a look at what has collected on that surface. That is what we have been smoking all these years.

Only on 420 mag are we talking about cutting edge stuff like this! And sorry I never followed thru with any other bud washes.
I can say the bud I washed with Doc Bud's method wasn't harmed in any way and smokes good. So does the bud I washed in RO/peroxide only, so does the unwashed bud. I only did a small sample and there wasn't much foul on the buds anyway. So mine isn't a solid test to report back on, but I can say to any naysayers (are there any?) that bud washing isn't gonna harm your harvest.

An interesting note is that my trim, bubble hash water was very dirty looking. None of the trim was washed.

I washed the trim this round as well, same bath as the buds! I add this to this long list of new things the wonderful members here have taught me. Super soil, high brix growing, bud washing. iMHO If you do a little bit of reading here the group won't lead you wrong as a whole.

Some of these guys are downright amazing.....That roll a doobie on your flowers pre-harvest from Soma Somebody posted on here the other day is ridiculous cool.

Edit for spelling

In any given space above sea level, there are particulates that we normally breathe in that we don't see so we think it's pure clean air. Even if buds aren't sprayed, if they emit a higher RH than that of the room (99% always the case) then there is cause for those particulates to attract to your plants and cling so in essence the plant sprays itself when compared to dryer air around it. When we smoke something, we are altering the properties of the material being smoked and all the dust and other general crud that clings to my buds is no exception to the rule.

I expect to harvest in a month or less. Only because I never harvested or washed I will only commit 1/2 my choppings to the drink to learn both the process of harvesting and washing, and in the event I botch the wash, I will still have half a harvest to hold me over till the one after that. This just sounds too logical to let go by. I expect in the next 5 years, the Fed and majority of all 50 (if not all) will be legal and this hobby/lifestyle will be introduced to a whole new form of scrutiny to satisfy yet to be created/enacted policies regarding product cleanliness, especially when it's meant for the public.

Thanks for getting this ball rolling before all that DocBud!

I thought I would share since I have been meaning to conduct this experiment for months now. I used DocBud's method as a guide, working with the materials I had at my disposal.

4 buckets total. (5 gallon buckets are perfect)

Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202.
Bucket 2: 5 gallons of RO with 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup Lemon Juice
Buckets 3 and 4: RO only.

Cut down plants, pull off fan leaves by hand, remove any necrotic leaves. Leave sugar leaves and anything with frosting on the plant.

Fully submerge in bucket 1 (H2O2) for 30 seconds. Submerge for a full minute if you had ANY sign of PM or bud rot. Let water drip from buds and then.....

Fully submerge in buckets 2 through 4 for 30 seconds each...lightly agitating the whole time.

Allow produce to drip dry. You can blow a fan on it if you like, just make sure it's blowing clean air.

Hang and dry per usual.

I mixed 2 containers with distilled water, both sitting at 27 degrees Celcius. I then measured out 1/5 cup of baking soda and the same amount of lemon juice per 1 gallon of water.

I then took sample of my recent bagseed harvest to try out.
20140106_083607.jpg
20140106_084446.jpg

I dunked the cuttings in the first container, and agitated it around for about 30 seconds.
20140106_085635.jpg
20140106_085838.jpg

I then submerged them into the second container, which had only distilled water at room temperature.
20140106_085701.jpg
20140106_085748.jpg
20140106_085930.jpg

I then let the twp cuttings drip dry in the 'drying room'. The two cutting on the right have not been 'washed' and will serve as a control for this experiment.
20140106_090032.jpg

Here is pic of the residue left in the containers. Not much that is visible really, but I did notice 'oily' substances floating around on the meniscus of the water.
20140106_090050.jpg
20140106_090055.jpg

I will have some before and after shots of an area I picked for trichome observation in the next few days. We will see if any of the resin has been diminished or displaced.

A smoke report won't be available until April 20th, at that point will be cured enough for a celebratory toke. :Namaste:

Got a Lucy getting the chop this weekend.
Of course I think she's beautiful right now, but I can't wait to see what she REALLY looks like.
If you wash your buds, you will know what I mean. I'll post some pics when I chop.

I don't understand the worry about losing a couple of trics. There's got to be hundreds of millions of them, if not billions, in my tent right now. I'm not going to miss the hundred, perhaps, that might fall off in the water. F those weak f'ing trichs anyway, I don't want any weak soldiers in my army. I can respect all opinions on this, but if someone is that worried about losing those few trichs, they might as well skip the hanging, drying , and jarring of their buds, as that process will also lose way more trics. I won't even get into trimming. I don't unnnnerstan, man. :Namaste::peace:

Yea this will be my absolute first time attempting to wash my buds, it's only on this site where I first heard of the method, and by the sound of things, I won't regret it. But with all things new for me, I like to take things one step at a time as I know if I 'jump in both feet', I might miss key elements to the process.

I'm going to have to take back what I said, and will have a smoke report sooner than April:laughtwo: The results of this will decide whether I scale this test up to half of my flowering crop. The only reason I am kind of 'iffy' about the whole method is the fact it can potentially reduce overall yield, and not all of my smoke is personal. The trichome test is being done as pure gain for knowledge; I know it has been discussed in the past pages over this topic, so I thought it would be a good idea to get some more facts:reading420magazine:

Nice! I see you have Barney's well known strain. I've been meaning to check out the Liberty Haze...don't mind if I have a peek at your journal!

Yea this will be my absolute first time attempting to wash my buds, it's only on this site where I first heard of the method, and by the sound of things, I won't regret it. But with all things new for me, I like to take things one step at a time as I know if I 'jump in both feet', I might miss key elements to the process.

I'm going to have to take back what I said, and will have a smoke report sooner than April:laughtwo: The results of this will decide whether I scale this test up to half of my flowering crop. The only reason I am kind of 'iffy' about the whole method is the fact it can potentially reduce overall yield, and not all of my smoke is personal. The trichome test is being done as pure gain for knowledge; I know it has been discussed in the past pages over this topic, so I thought it would be a good idea to get some more facts:reading420magazine:

Nice! I see you have Barney's well known strain. I've been meaning to check out the Liberty Haze...don't mind if I have a peek at your journal!

You owe to science to smoke those buds sooner, my friend. :) And I'd be very pleased to have you, been stalking yours for a while.

Back
Top Bottom