Bud Washing

After washing the buds, hang them to drip dry until no longer dripping. Then place the buds in your drying environment, along with a fan to keep the air moving, and maintain an RH of 40% to 60% until the stem for each individual bud is dry enough to snap off instead of just bend. Higher than 60% you run the risk of mold, lower than 40% will not evenly dry out the buds. Temperatures are less of a concern but should be between 60° and 80°.
Which is pretty much how one ALWAYS should dry.
So bud washing is no extra worry.

Excellent description of drying room.

Hi everyone, I have a question. One of my grower friends has an outdoor haze plant that is very large (roughly a 2 pounder) that had caterpillers in the buds, those little orange buggers. Well he panicked and covered the plant in an entire gallon of neem oil and it is 1 week away from harvest.

Will bud washing save any of his bud and make it at least smokable? or is the neem soaked plant a complete loss?

Hi everyone, I have a question. One of my grower friends has an outdoor haze plant that is very large (roughly a 2 pounder) that had caterpillers in the buds, those little orange buggers. Well he panicked and covered the plant in an entire gallon of neem oil and it is 1 week away from harvest.

Will bud washing save any of his bud and make it at least smokable? or is the neem soaked plant a complete loss?

2 weeks from spraying and a good lemonjuice/soda wash and he can probably save it.

See no reason to wash buds if inside grow. - outside? never done such a thing - not saying it's not a good thing - Keep it simple What do you thing the "perfect" RH is 62 or 69% ( Boveda packs)

The humidipaks are good until they become dried out and stiff, typically around a year or so. I'm still using the same humidipaks that I first used for my first grow nearly a year ago. The shelf life of unopened humidipaks is around 2 years as long as they remain in a tightly sealed environment so that they don't dry out.

Steam the Bovedas or soak them in water, and they'll reabsorb and return to their liquid puffy state. I've cycled many of mine several times during a dry season.

:thumb:

See no reason to wash buds if inside grow. - outside? never done such a thing - not saying it's not a good thing - Keep it simple What do you thing the "perfect" RH is 62 or 69% ( Boveda packs)

Not necessarily. Sometimes, an indoor grower may spray their plants with various solutions, ie high brix or pest control. Personally, I don't want to smoke that crap. I have a sealed grow room (running hydro, no dirt) and I scrub/filter my air. It's about as clean as you can get. I will conceded I didn't wash my most recent harvest. It was mostly a time issue as it happened during a family emergency. I can barely tell the difference to be honest. It makes sense though that the dirtier the buds, the more of a difference washing will make. I think the biggest difference I see is the cure. Washed buds seem to dry quicker and more evenly. I can't distinguish any difference in smell or taste though. The difference in 'smoothness' is there I think, but it's not a huge difference. I'll be washing the next batch because I think it still improves the end product, but for MY situation (ymmv), it's not a huge difference.

Not necessarily. Sometimes, an indoor grower may spray their plants with various solutions, ie high brix or pest control. Personally, I don't want to smoke that crap. I have a sealed grow room (running hydro, no dirt) and I scrub/filter my air. It's about as clean as you can get. I will conceded I didn't wash my most recent harvest. It was mostly a time issue as it happened during a family emergency. I can barely tell the difference to be honest. It makes sense though that the dirtier the buds, the more of a difference washing will make. I think the biggest difference I see is the cure. Washed buds seem to dry quicker and more evenly. I can't distinguish any difference in smell or taste though. The difference in 'smoothness' is there I think, but it's not a huge difference. I'll be washing the next batch because I think it still improves the end product, but for MY situation (ymmv), it's not a huge difference.

If you have no insects, no body hair, no dead skin cells, no fiberglass dust....no dust whatsoever.....and you don't spray anything on your plants, washing the buds isn't necessary.

let me suggest that if you have to clean the glass on your hoods, or if you have to sweep the floor, you need to wash your produce.

If you're in a clean room....skip the wash.

Not to mention that most of people's produce is put to market for others to consume so consider the fact that in essence, we each operate as a business to some regard. Should Mickey D's stop washing the lettuce, tomatoes and onions if they promise that each were grown in a "clean" environment?

Not to mention that most of people's produce is put to market for others to consume so consider the fact that in essence, we each operate as a business to some regard. Should Mickey D's stop washing the lettuce, tomatoes and onions if they promise that each were grown in a "clean" environment?

hey! Let's eat dinner at my house!

We'll eat off plates that have been in the grow room for 3 months. I haven't dusted them or washed them, but it will be great!
And we'll drink out of glasses that have been sitting in the trays under the canopy. No need to wash them or anything......

[/sarcasm]

The idea of consuming unwashed produce is just silly. We should all stop doing it right now. What possible downside can there be in washing things?

Have a look at the dust filter on your carbon filter...
Do we NEED to wash our buds...no, but saying you see no reason is incorrect my friend.
If you saw the buckets after the wash and smoked the bud you would never smoke unwashed bud again!

Oh and thanks for the info on the Boveda Humidipaks, I been trying to think of a way to slow down my dry as it was way to quite last time and effected the cure!!!
Any other advice for slowing down the dry period?

First at all; sorry for my bad english: :-(

I had to use means against Spider Mites two weeks before Harvest (im sad to say that).
I use "Nite Nite Spidermite". It works, but after drying the harvest (11 days), the buds taste absolutely unpleasantly and it smells very unappetizing. Horror! :-(

My Question: Can I use the method although i dry the buds (11 days drying). I want to clean the dried buds.

The best greetings to everybody

Oh and thanks for the info on the Boveda Humidipaks, I been trying to think of a way to slow down my dry as it was way to quite last time and effected the cure!!!
Any other advice for slowing down the dry period?

Keep the RH as close to 60% as possible, the higher the RH the slower the drying time. Lowering temperatures can also help but to a lesser extent.

First at all; sorry for my bad english: :-(

I had to use means against Spider Mites two weeks before Harvest (im sad to say that).
I use "Nite Nite Spidermite". It works, but after drying the harvest (11 days), the buds taste absolutely unpleasantly and it smells very unappetizing. Horror! :-(

My Question: Can I use the method although i dry the buds (11 days drying). I want to clean the dried buds.

The best greetings to everybody

Welcome friend!

Your English is excellent, I can't speak any other language so good for you!

I wouldn't wash dry buds but I'm not an expert on the subject.
There is something you can do...have you heard of water curing?
Here are some links
Water Curing Marijuana

Water curing...let's give this a try

Water during is a method that can be used on dry buds to clean it just like a wash would.

Keep the RH as close to 60% as possible, the higher the RH the slower the drying time. Lowering temperatures can also help but to a lesser extent.

Thanks brother, will get a humidifier or an air mister to try and keep the humidity high.

Will then ciure with humidity packs

Back
Top Bottom