Bud Washing

For the first 2 harvests, I was assisted in the washing by an OCD spectrum teenage boy who did the first and second rinse (one with reach hand.) He would swish and stir until I said "switch" .

For the third harvest, I was assisted by a nice girl who tried two buckets but couldn't seem to keep both her hands moving at the same time. Even when she was switched to just the second rinse, she would lose focus within the 30 seconds.

The final harvest came out harsher and seemed to take longer to cure (but I didn't take notes on the curing time.)

I was happier with the OCD spectrum boy following directions to the letter :)

So the last harvest's wash was shorter? I think you're saying she washed them for less than 30 seconds.

Interesting. You mean you are swishing or soaking for 30 seconds in each bucket, right?
I think I am probably a little under that. I do more of an up and down dunking motion. I'll do a few seconds to get it agitating a bit, ie lots of bubbles, then I hold it under until the bubbles all settles. I'll do this a few times in each bucket. I suspect my contact time is less than 30 seconds total. I've got 7 plants left in this batch, so I'll time myself and see if I can replicate your observation. I'll do one plant for 20 and one for 30 seconds of the same strain. hmmm... I'm unsure how to keep it separate. Maybe I'll do single test branches from the same plant and hang dry those. I'll try that tonight. It will still take a week or so until it's ready to smoke. I'm going to do 15 seconds, 30 seconds, and 60 seconds. :)

So the last harvest's wash was shorter? I think you're saying she washed them for less than 30 seconds.

Interesting. You mean you are swishing or soaking for 30 seconds in each bucket, right?
I think I am probably a little under that. I do more of an up and down dunking motion. I'll do a few seconds to get it agitating a bit, ie lots of bubbles, then I hold it under until the bubbles all settles. I'll do this a few times in each bucket. I suspect my contact time is less than 30 seconds total. I've got 7 plants left in this batch, so I'll time myself and see if I can replicate your observation. I'll do one plant for 20 and one for 30 seconds of the same strain. hmmm... I'm unsure how to keep it separate. Maybe I'll do single test branches from the same plant and hang dry those. I'll try that tonight. It will still take a week or so until it's ready to smoke. I'm going to do 15 seconds, 30 seconds, and 60 seconds. :)

And I image you will share results in a couple of weeks :) One off experiences like mine are unreliable :yikes::yikes:

Perhaps using small colored zip ties, like white=15 second dip, black=30 and none for the 60 second plunge? The results would definitely be interesting.

I put them in a cheese bag, and use the length of my arm + cheesebag, and centrifugal force :p This cheesebag will later on be used to filter the bubble, so nothing will be lost.

Regarding the difference between 20 or 30 seconds .. you'll have to come with a mechanism that will not clean the stuff in 20 seconds, but where the 10 extra seconds make a huge difference ... as if the stuff takes 20 seconds to eat through a protective layer of some sort. I find myself remaining sceptical :p

I put them in a cheese bag, and use the length of my arm + cheesebag, and centrifugal force :p This cheesebag will later on be used to filter the bubble, so nothing will be lost.

Regarding the difference between 20 or 30 seconds .. you'll have to come with a mechanism that will not clean the stuff in 20 seconds, but where the 10 extra seconds make a huge difference ... as if the stuff takes 20 seconds to eat through a protective layer of some sort. I find myself remaining sceptical :p

I made that claim, and I also share your skepticism :)

As I used to say "Just because we saw one doesn't mean I believe in ghosts!"

I will be washing all my bud this time ...CORRECTLY!! Last time I skipped the baking soda and just used lemon juice.I will admit that I was terrified to dip my precious buds into water. However, I'm on board now for all grows!!. I agree with all of you who have experienced "clean" weed!!

I'm very interested but there isn't the time for me to do this in between harvest. I barely get it all done before the next cycle comes out. I also hang my plants full after I cut all fan leaves. So I'll try it on one plant then dry in separate area since plant will be broken down. Next harvest is 4 weeks out. I'll post pics then.

I will be washing all my bud this time ...CORRECTLY!! Last time I skipped the baking soda and just used lemon juice.I will admit that I was terrified to dip my precious buds into water. However, I'm on board now for all grows!!. I agree with all of you who have experienced "clean" weed!!

Justabluez, welcome to really enjoying clean produce! :) When weed is growing outside, the wild and outside grows, im sure it rains on our favorite plant ocassionally during harvest time...im sure it rains hard sometimes too, in areas of the tropics during sept-nov.
The locals might even appreciate the budwashing :)

I'm very interested but there isn't the time for me to do this in between harvest. I barely get it all done before the next cycle comes out. I also hang my plants full after I cut all fan leaves. So I'll try it on one plant then dry in separate area since plant will be broken down. Next harvest is 4 weeks out. I'll post pics then.

There would be no real need to change your ways too much ... you could use large containers with water, dip the whole plant in upside down, and swirl around with it ... to the next, next, next, dry ... repeat with next plant.

I would need 4 55gallon drums then lol. Just too much man for just me. I will definitely do it on one and just break the plant into smaller portions. If I had more help I would go all out.

Maybe cut off the branches, handle em that way ? But yeah, if you have a lot of plants, that is not really an option without enough man power. Good luck with your future dilemma, after you tried it on one ;)

Thats what I meant. Lol. But as soon as we go recreational that wont be an option unfortunately

I do not understand ? I live in the Netherlands .. you know .. the place where smoking it is legal, selling it is legal, but thou shalt not cultivate it. I am not really up-to-date on America's current laws, just that they are finally trying to figure out a sensible way of dealing with cannabis ... which is likely a slow process, but atm, you are further down the road of rational thinking then we are in the Netherlands.

With the dawn of the internet, people have joined together through mass communication with others from across the globe so I'd lean more on the side of every other state and civilized nation to soon follow suit (like we also are following) to the FACT that cannabis was erroneously ostracized from bullshit political propaganda and is in FACT a natural remedial medicine and mood enhancer (for me at least) and it will then fall into common trade. (regain your breath) When I think about this, it does fall into sync with the forming of a world community (or world order), but that's neither here nor there. I really believe that cannabis will soon be showing her pretty leaves under the big HPS in the sky on many lands across the globe.

I should have been more exact. I'm a medical grower here in Washington state. I've been growing since 1998 and medically since 08. I quit my day job in 2010 to focus on growing medically. By recreational I mean last go round in the application/lotto process we didn't get one. We want to grow large at this point 10,000sq ft. So we are waiting for this auction in January. So at that point we can't just give some medicine for working.

Back
Top Bottom