Bud Washing

Any negative effects on terpenes doc? Graytail? Hiker? Any of you notice that. In about 21 days I'll be trying this on 3 plants so roughly 1.5 lbs. I built a special drying area just for this since I usually just hang my whole trees. I'll be posting this up in this thread as well as my garden thread. Also in my garden thread there will be pics of my bud washing drying area later today.

Any negative effects on terpenes doc? Graytail? Hiker? Any of you notice that. In about 21 days I'll be trying this on 3 plants so roughly 1.5 lbs. I built a special drying area just for this since I usually just hang my whole trees. I'll be posting this up in this thread as well as my garden thread. Also in my garden thread there will be pics of my bud washing drying area later today.

If there was anything negative I wouldn't wash my buds.

If you can find someone who washed who didn't like the result, let me know. As far as I can tell this procedure has no detractors, but many, many fans.

Try it and you'll never skip it again.

Oh I believe. That's why I built a whole other drying area just for this since I'm gonna have to make the cut plant a more manageable size now.
I've heard of growers at some cups and events I've been to doing this but I wasn't a believer let alone willing to get my product wet until I saw hikers thread and your guy's results.
I'm game if it effects terpenes or not I just need to make sure there is the time allotted for this extra step. I'm sure there is but with it being only me and one employee it's tough. It would help if my wife could help more but she has our toddler to watch.

Oh I believe. That's why I built a whole other drying area just for this since I'm gonna have to make the cut plant a more manageable size now.
I've heard of growers at some cups and events I've been to doing this but I wasn't a believer let alone willing to get my product wet until I saw hikers thread and your guy's results.
I'm game if it effects terpenes or not I just need to make sure there is the time allotted for this extra step. I'm sure there is but with it being only me and one employee it's tough. It would help if my wife could help more but she has our toddler to watch.

You can wash a pound in under an hour.

It sure is weird thrashing weed around in a container of bubbling yellow liquid...
image17434.jpg

Sorry about sideways picture damn iPhone

I just had the idea to use a 4" or 6" dia PVC pipe with one end capped for those super long colas to be washed in. That must've been a hoot washing your buds one side at a time, haha.

If there is any effect on terpenes, I feel it "opens them up" a bit. Meaning I think the flavors and aromas are enhanced by the process.

Do a test for yourself. Leave one branch unwashed and compare them. :)

FYI, I tried different soak times and cannot detect ANY difference. I'll stick with ~20 seconds in each trash can. :winkyface:

One tip for noobs trying this so you don't spill all over like I did. Add baking soda slowly or it will make a mess. I put all water then all lemon juice then dumped the baking soda in which cause instant foam up and over onto floor. Oh well floor is cleaner now ;-)

I am sure many of you bud washing elitists are used to naysayers haha
Check out the replies when I casually mentioned it on another forum (I C M A G):
"Give me a fucking break. You're dipping your buds in water, LEMONS, and BAKING SODA and you're telling us that it IMPROVES your weed?

Ok, now THAT is the most retarded thing I've read all year.

And, no, I won't try it some time, or ever."

Poor closed minded people over there.

One tip for noobs trying this so you don't spill all over like I did. Add baking soda slowly or it will make a mess. I put all water then all lemon juice then dumped the baking soda in which cause instant foam up and over onto floor. Oh well floor is cleaner now ;-)

I love how many ways there are to skin a cat :)

I always whisk the baking soda into the water so it's all dissolved in there, then when i put the buds in there I dump a little lemon juice right onto the buds in the water, that way the reaction happens on and in the bud, you can kinda let that bucket do most of the work for you. Just wiggle underwater until the bubbling stops.

Mine does not have foliar sprays and it is clean in my environment so we shall see what difference it makes in the smoke of washed vs unwashed. My plants already looked clean before washing...

Same here - but I still notice an improvement in appearance, taste, curing and storing. I really like how it helps the drying process and how velvety the buds and pistils get. Nice buds btw!

First off, I did not come up with the idea of washing buds as part of harvest. I'm not sure where the idea originated, but I learned of it via Curso and DocBud. :Namaste:

I've read with interest as several members have tried this technique. The idea already appealed to me on a logical level, but it was the endorsements of other members that really sold me. Granted, my sample size is only ~6 growers, but the responses I've read have been pretty unanimous. Every comment I've read has been something along the lines of, 'now I'm spoiled and don't want to smoke unwashed buds anymore'. That kind of rhetoric caught my attention! :yikes:

I can't yet say if I will have that same reaction, as my first attempt is still hanging to dry. I'm creating this thread as a place to discuss the techniques and/or principles involved with this practice. The what, why, and how if you will.

First, What are we talking about?

It's pretty simple. We're washing the plant during the harvest and curing phase. I honestly can't think of anything else to say about 'The What' without getting into the why and how, so let's get to it.

Why wash your buds?

Just like you wash your vegetables before eating them, it's probably a good idea to wash Cannabis before consuming it as well. How big an impact it makes will depend on the environment the buds were grown in. Was it outdoors or indoors? Was the indoor garden sealed or ventilated? Was any sprayed on the plant, ie food or pest control?

My flowering room is sealed, and I don't spray anything my plants. I certainly understand why it's important to some of the growers here that spray their plants weekly. My wash water actually didn't get too dirty. Yes, it certainly appeared to have cleaned something off. Even in my sealed room there will be dust and dirt on the plants.

How do you do it?

My technique was based off instructions from Curso.

I use 3 5g buckets. The first bucket has room temp, ie not cold, water with the lemon juice and baking soda. The second bucket has the hottest water I can get from the faucet. The last bucket is the coldest water I can get.

I do a pre-trim on each branch to remove any leaves without crystals. Then I dunk each branch several times and swirl them around a bit. When I dunked the branches, I did it fast enough to get the water sloshing around real good. I imagined I'm trying to get the water to get into all the nooks and crannies with some force to help clean out the dirt. I do each bucket for 10-30 seconds including a few second to let them water drain off before moving them to the next bucket.

After the last rinse, I hang them on a string above the bucket so it can drip back into the bucket. As I wash more buds, I slide the others to the side to make room so the freshest is always dripping over the bucket.

I let them dry about 24 hours before trimming. If I tried to manicure sooner than that, they felt too wet.

***********************************************************************************

So that's all I have to get things rolling. I really hope others will join in the discussion and share their experiences.

I have a question for anyone that knows. What is the reasoning behind the lemon juice and baking soda?
I just run my buds over running water from the sink, I start with warm water and move the buds around really good then I finish off with cold water for about 15 seconds and then hang them up, all that
Other stuff is a waste of time imho. But washing buds is something I'll always do.

Back
Top Bottom