Bud Washing

Well my results from a blind test (bar 1 which we never got round to smoking) were mixed. After looking at washed and unwashed buds side by side all 3 of us were able to identify which was washed. After smoking 2 of the 3 strains available we all agreed which we thought were washed and unwashed but it turned out that we were correct with 1 but not with the other! Was surprising as the 1 we got wrong was smoother unwashed. Still have 1 more strain to try in a couple of weeks with a few more pals as well as my other mate that was up. Hopefully this will prove more conclusive. Also my other mates will get to try side by side of the other 2 plants and see what they think. At this moment in time i am still on the fence although in saying that any plants that suffer budrot or PM will definitely be getting washed as i dont want to smoke mould at all.

Washed bud gets tested for THC at the Vegas MJ Biz Expo on November 18th. This is a 100% legitimate test, freshly calibrated, etc.

Picture_009292.jpg

These buds were the "popcorn"....the first to dry from a recent harvest, and the first to cure. Buds were ground up and rolled into a joint, which was unrolled for the test. Obviously, between washing the buds with the method talked about in this thread, and grinding them up for a joint, there were still some trichomes present.

Washing is not an issue with regard to potency.

Washed bud gets tested for THC at the Vegas MJ Biz Expo on November 18th. This is a 100% legitimate test, freshly calibrated, etc.

Picture_009292.jpg

These buds were the "popcorn"....the first to dry from a recent harvest, and the first to cure. Buds were ground up and rolled into a joint, which was unrolled for the test. Obviously, between washing the buds with the method talked about in this thread, and grinding them up for a joint, there were still some trichomes present.

Washing is not an issue with regard to potency.

Outstanding! .

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I think bud washing was developed due to bud rot. If no bud rot dont wash, If no bugs dont wash, thats my greenhorn opinion as of today. Its nice to see theres no THC loss with washing but what about residue? B.soda residue?? Somebody made the suggestion I sugar sprayed these buds! No way!! Either their frosty from Fox Farms or its B.soda residue. Ive got some both washed and not and will be able to make a comparison. Their curing and look foreword to smoking soon! Id love to test my grow for THC content and wonder how and who??? and how much??? Heres some frosty nugs!!
20161012_150802.jpg
20161022_120327.jpg
20161022_121422.jpg
20161102_131240.jpg
20161114_172837.jpg
20161114_171438.jpg
20161113_103151.jpg
20161114_172629.jpg

I think bud washing was developed due to bud rot. If no bud rot dont wash, If no bugs dont wash, thats my greenhorn opinion as of today.

No need to have an opinion about it when the person who stumbled upon the practice (me) is here to say that Bud Washing was developed to improve taste, flavor and HEALTH of cannabis.

If I have bud rot, I toss the plant in the trash.
Bugs? There are only 3 kinds of growers: those that have mites, those who are about to have mites and the damn fools who lie about it. Bud Washing mitigates all 3.

I wash my healthiest buds....every time. I do not smoke anything that isn't washed.

So, that's why I developed bud washing.

No need to have an opinion about it when the person who stumbled upon the practice (me) is here to say that Bud Washing was developed to improve taste, flavor and HEALTH of cannabis.

Bugs? There are only 3 kinds of growers: those that have mites, those who are about to have mites and the damn fools who lie about it. Bud Washing mitigates all 3.

I wash my healthiest buds....every time. I do not smoke anything that isn't washed.

Thanks! Im just learning Doc! No offence. If someone dident suggest I sugar sprayed my buds I wouldent be nearly as negative. Theres many old growers that would say NO WAY to bud washing because its new im guessing and sounds crazy, again, no offense. Theres too many people here that swear by it to make it crap. Many wont smoke unwashed buds, like you. I have 8-9 cases of jars and the first 4-5 were washed so I will get to see.
One thing I do know is you know your stuff Doc!
Namaste

Thanks! Im just learning Doc! No offence. If someone dident suggest I sugar sprayed my buds I wouldent be nearly as negative. Theres many old growers that would say NO WAY to bud washing because its new im guessing and sounds crazy, again, no offense. Theres too many people here that swear by it to make it crap. Many wont smoke unwashed buds, like you. I have 8-9 cases of jars and the first 4-5 were washed so I will get to see.
One thing I do know is you know your stuff Doc!
Namaste

it didn't take long to convince some recently made friends in Jamaica to try washing next harvest...:)

they couldn't refute the results..;)

Im not sure if you use Peroxide in your method but from what Ive read seems people use the peroxide to save moldy bud. Im curious how you came up with baking soda and lemon juice and what else has been tried??? I also wonder about residue left from the wash??? When its tested for THC do they test for contaminants??? Thanks Doc!

Bud washing has been around since I started growing way back in 1991. And the guy who showed me was over 60 at the time. If you wash your fruits and vegetables why not your bud is what he taught me. No matter who created it, just do it.

Im not sure if you use Peroxide in your method but from what Ive read seems people use the peroxide to save moldy bud. Im curious how you came up with baking soda and lemon juice and what else has been tried??? I also wonder about residue left from the wash??? When its tested for THC do they test for contaminants??? Thanks Doc!

It is a triple wash though, the 2nd two buckets rinse anything from the first bucket.

Also the baking soda and lemon juice dissolve and react together to make a surfactant, which by definition scrubs the surface of whatever it is on. You don't apply a surfactant and then expect to have a dirtier product than what u started with.

Also lets be clear, that first bucket is not some sort of heavy concentrate, but just a little frothy water.

i have been a cannabis consumer most my long life, and never have I never given washing buds any thought. And yes, we wash our veggies and yes , I think you're right !! Makes perfect sense , and this is why I've never did it !!
I live in an apt. and smell is an issue, so I'm trying to figure out how I can do all this without spreading smell to next door apt. ? Ha !! What a great idea !!

But what's going to wash out all the minerals from the tap water. seems to me in this situation, distilled water would be the way to fly ? I don't harvest till about Xmas., and have to do this to get the azamax off, used for mite infestation .

yes, the final bucket is supposed to be distilled, purified, or RO, ideally.

i believe this is in teh destructions.

i have been a cannabis consumer most my long life, and never have I never given washing buds any thought. And yes, we wash our veggies and yes , I think you're right !! Makes perfect sense , and this is why I've never did it !!
I live in an apt. and smell is an issue, so I'm trying to figure out how I can do all this without spreading smell to next door apt. ? Ha !! What a great idea !!

You are only going to wash freshly harvested buds.

Compared to the smells of growing, trimming, and drying - the smell of washing is nothing to be concerned about.

I know everyone(many/most) is not fortunate enough to live in an area with excellent well water/spring water, but in my area of the country we are blessed with terrific natural water that comes up out of the ground. I am sure that many millions of others are also fortunate in that way. It makes terrific beer ,wine and whiskey without modification/alterations, and I have used it to wash buds a couple of years (since first reading of this). I assure you, that good water, that makes good beer without additions of gypsum, salts, etc. will be quite suitable for washing plants! Waters that taste good, will allow the baking soda, lemon and H2O2 to properly interact making a good surfactant effect and leave ,if anything, a healthier product than distilled water, even with (or because of!)beneficial traces of minerals that will be present! If your water is coming from miles of municipal pipes and is treated with chorine, fluoride and the like or comes out of the ground smelling of anything, leaves crusty mineral deposits around taps, or is hard and does not rinse off soap well, by all means use distilled water! I am a little lazy and confess that since I never use any foliar applied products (only compost, kelp and fish emulsion applied to the soils only) I now usually only do a quick rinse in plain old water without anything added, one warm and one cold, just to remove any dust or possible bug eggs/larvae (indoor grows only nowadays for me) Please, do not spray anything on your plants you would not eat directly! Plants can and do absorb and/or translocate some things through the foliage and some will not wash entirely from the plant without vigorous scrubbing! I guard against disease and insect problems and on the very rare times mites have shown up, I trashed the plants, cleaned up and started over! Washing plants with a garden hose with a firm but fine spray outside will probably work just fine to remove dust, a day or two before harvest ( also can temporarily help with mites). If you know of anyone using any chemical pesticides on cannabis intended for human consumption, kick their butts and/or spread the word against them in the customer circles. Poisoning people is bad, even when done unwittingly! I heard of a man who was using systemic pesticide purchased from the garden center, applied sprinkled on the soil, intended mostly for roses, cotton or other ornamentals, on pecan trees and he seriously injured some people who ate them(the pecans) months later! However, It does not have to be systemic pesticides to be dangerous ! I want only bud when I smoke, no oils, excessive dust, soaps, chemicals, or topical fertilizer residues and hopefully little bacteria and fungi! So, do the wash thing! Lay off of the pesticides completely! (There will be some dust, mold and bacteria always, since all the atmosphere has some dust, mold or bacteria floating about):rollit:
yes, the final bucket is supposed to be distilled, purified, or RO, ideally.

i believe this is in teh destructions.

I washed my last batch with room temp tap water. It sat out for a bit so some of the chlorine would dissipate. May not have been ideal, but my smoke is still great. Better than nothing! I am sure that my personal smoke was the first washed weed I have ever had. Visited a hydro friend of my brother and watched people trim all his shit, it went straight to a line for drying, zero washing.

Happy New Year my fellow brother & sister bud washers.

May 2017 bring you all health, happiness and continued smooth delicious herb :yummy::ganjamon::grinjoint:

Peace -Zafu

Great thread ... love the idea and will try in a couple of weeks time!

I do have one question/observation though ... (it may have been answered already ... but can't find it) ... bicarb of soda is often used to clean up oily stains on furniture etc.

Doesn't this mean it might have a dissolving effect on the oil / trichomes? Or does the lemon juice neutralise these properties?

There appear to be no complaints about the strength of the washed product ... just keen to know why it doesn't affect the trichomes? Does anyone know?

Back
Top Bottom