Bud Washing

Everyone who has smoked my washed products has said nothing but good things and surprised it was washed when told. If you're on this thread trying to figure it out... the universe has brought you here for a reason and just do it you won't be sorry.. of course unless you F this up too.

I just did my first harvest... washed with H2O2 rather than lemon juice and baking soda... followed by two rinses... warm and then cold... seemed like a no brainer to me after reading so many different threads and journals... looking forward to the finished cure to sample and enjoy! Thanks for making this a great learning experience and sharing knowledge so freely!

I grow outside only, so May-October for me) and last year I reluctantly used h202 because of some slight PM. After doing so, I realized my reluctance had no reasonable basis and was totally psychological. In fact, with the small amount of h202 added, it washed the herb superbly, got rid of pm, bugs, etc. and with zero signs of tric loss or dmg. Of course, used several rinses after. Herb came out fantastic and we've been enjoying it all year and still have a bunch holding well in sealed jars with Boveda packs.

I mention this because as you wrote, I plan to skip the lemon juice/Baking Soda entirely this year and simply use h202/water wash with 2-3 just water rinses after. Just be sure to change out to a new h202 wash once you see the rinse bucket start getting dirty. Unless others have some insight I'm missing, I find the h202 mixture cleans even better than the juice/soda and is a great preventive measure in-case of unseen pm. I think the juice/soda after may be overkill and find the h202 benign and highly effective. Also, not sure why others use "warm or warmer water. Room temperature, or say 70 degrees about, seems more than adequate. I use the water that comes right out of the hose outside and works really well. In October here, it's about the right temp. too and fortunately, it's very good water.

Love this thread to death. I'm so grateful for it.

Zafu

I grow outside only, so May-October for me) and last year I reluctantly used h202 because of some slight PM. After doing so, I realized my reluctance had no reasonable basis and was totally psychological. In fact, with the small amount of h202 added, it washed the herb superbly, got rid of pm, bugs, etc. and with zero signs of tric loss or dmg. Of course, used several rinses after. Herb came out fantastic and we've been enjoying it all year and still have a bunch holding well in sealed jars with Boveda packs.

I mention this because as you wrote, I plan to skip the lemon juice/Baking Soda entirely this year and simply use h202/water wash with 2-3 just water rinses after. Just be sure to change out to a new h202 wash once you see the rinse bucket start getting dirty. Unless others have some insight I'm missing, I find the h202 mixture cleans even better than the juice/soda and is a great preventive measure in-case of unseen pm. I think the juice/soda after may be overkill and find the h202 benign and highly effective. Also, not sure why others use "warm or warmer water. Room temperature, or say 70 degrees about, seems more than adequate. I use the water that comes right out of the hose outside and works really well. In October here, it's about the right temp. too and fortunately, it's very good water.

Love this thread to death. I'm so grateful for it.

Zafu

The important thing is you're washing. Good on you, sir!

I use Lemon Juice/Soda.....why? Because the surfactant action cleans much more crud off the buds and the sulfites in the LJ help ensure nothing funky during the dry. In other words, Cuz it works better.

I'd only use the H2o2 if you had PM or rot. (tossing out the portions with spores and rot, of course.)

Try some in the LJ/Soda and I think you'll like it even better. Room temp water is perfect.

The important thing is you're washing. Good on you, sir!

I use Lemon Juice/Soda.....why? Because the surfactant action cleans much more crud off the buds and the sulfites in the LJ help ensure nothing funky during the dry. In other words, Cuz it works better.

I'd only use the H2o2 if you had PM or rot. (tossing out the portions with spores and rot, of course.)

Try some in the LJ/Soda and I think you'll like it even better. Room temp water is perfect.

Thank you for the feedback. Great; I'll use the lemon/soda then; wasn't sure it was necessary but if it makes it cleaner, will do. Still not sure why the rule is "if not pm, etc. don't bother with h202". Seems so effective, proactive and benign.

Cheers,

Zafu

Do you think it will kill the Russets??? Ive been battling them in my yard grow and I dont want them in the tent. I know the bud washing will help to wash them off but will it kill them???
Dont follow Pigeons 420 utube video on bud washing. It was 1 cup bsoda per gallon with only one rinse bucket. I had bsoda residue last time. 1 cup per 5 gal bsoda sounds better with the two washes.
Hey doc it says 3 to 1 and 3%??? 3 to 1 would be 30%??? I'd say 3% would be like 1 cup per 5 gal??? Also Im guessing the h2o2 is reg. ole hydrogen peroxide from rite aid???? I was also reading where a Co Co medium is better than soil to deter Russets???
I really noticed the batches I let drain on an old sheet on the back grass before hang was better than letting them drip.
The Russets are evil.
Thanks doc, 420 mag and great day!

Do you think it will kill the Russets??? Ive been battling them in my yard grow and I dont want them in the tent. I know the bud washing will help to wash them off but will it kill them???
Dont follow Pigeons 420 utube video on bud washing. It was 1 cup bsoda per gallon with only one rinse bucket. I had bsoda residue last time. 1 cup per 5 gal bsoda sounds better with the two washes.
Hey doc it says 3 to 1 and 3%??? 3 to 1 would be 30%??? I'd say 3% would be like 1 cup per 5 gal??? Also Im guessing the h2o2 is reg. ole hydrogen peroxide from rite aid???? I was also reading where a Co Co medium is better than soil to deter Russets???
I really noticed the batches I let drain on an old sheet on the back grass before hang was better than letting them drip.
The Russets are evil.

Buy the h202 at Rite Aid, then check the label for the strength of the hydrogen peroxide. It should say 3% or 29% or some other number on the back. Once we know the strength, we can calculate how much to use.

The Russets are evil.

Budwashing: There's no need to re-invent the recipe or the process. 1/2 cup of each in 5 gallons......two rinse buckets. Done.

3:1 on the 3%.

No residue, no damage to trichomes....just clean bud.

Thanks Doc. I scrolled back and wrote your recipe down. 3 to 1 at 3% h202 is 30% h202. So thats 1 gal 3% to 3 gal water?? I'll make sure its not the 29%. Another reason my first wash sucked was I used tubs not buckets. No place for the crap to settle, plus I was way to strong on the baking soda. Doc, Im going to use your half cup recipe and follow it to the T.
These Russets suck and I want to do all I can to keep them from the tent.
Great Day 420

People will need to be more precise with how big a "cup" is. Over here in the uk we have cups of many sizes as will other countries and i have seen recipes for baking, cooking etc that mention using a "cup" of this or a "cup" of that but these are mainly from american sites. Alongside saying a cup then perhaps mention how much that is in ml. For comparison a US gallon is 3.8L whereas a UK gallon is approx 4.5L so when people say 100ml it is universal and everyone will know EXACTLY how much it is.

FYI - i am not having a dig, am just pointing it out as some people may not understand the sizes involved.

People will need to be more precise with how big a "cup" is. Over here in the uk we have cups of many sizes as will other countries and i have seen recipes for baking, cooking etc that mention using a "cup" of this or a "cup" of that but these are mainly from american sites. Alongside saying a cup then perhaps mention how much that is in ml. For comparison a US gallon is 3.8L whereas a UK gallon is approx 4.5L so when people say 100ml it is universal and everyone will know EXACTLY how much it is.

FYI - i am not having a dig, am just pointing it out as some people may not understand the sizes involved.

and that's why there is te internet
google "one cup ml" - first response 236ml - so 100ml of baking soda and 100ml of lemon juice is about right in 5 gal

This was just washed 1st by Jose's rain and then with lemon juice/Baking soda :)
IMG_187626.JPG

Back
Top Bottom