Buds too dry?

I'mOne

Ok sorry if this is already covered, I have looked at several threads and haven't seen an answer. I cut my skunk plant last weekend and let the buds hang dry In a closed cardboard box as many recommend and has worked for me in the past. I checked them yesterday and they were about right txture to go in the jars...yet I was in a hurry and .i left them overnight in the box. I cut them and put them in boxes this morning. This evening, twelve hours later the hydrometer reads 54% in the jar. Did I let them get too dry? Will they bring the number back up in the next 24 hours? They only took up half or less of the jar volume.

You're trying to maintain 62% ideally. It may come up a bit in the jar but with that much air volume not likely. If you can get it in a smaller jar some moisture in the stems may still come out to bring it up.
The boveda packs wont bring it up either as they are only intended to maintain the RH you want.
In the past I have used a large airtight bag, like an oven bag, and let some mist go into the bag and seal it. This will bring it up to what you want. Just don't overdo the mist.
Cool mist humidiers work well.

Speaking of airtight bags, lol - if you cannot find the right size jar for your harvest, blow one up, seal it, and place it into your underfilled jar. There's now much less (free) air space in it.

Ok sorry if this is already covered, I have looked at several threads and haven't seen an answer. I cut my skunk plant last weekend and let the buds hang dry In a closed cardboard box as many recommend and has worked for me in the past. I checked them yesterday and they were about right txture to go in the jars...yet I was in a hurry and .i left them overnight in the box. I cut them and put them in boxes this morning. This evening, twelve hours later the hydrometer reads 54% in the jar. Did I let them get too dry? Will they bring the number back up in the next 24 hours? They only took up half or less of the jar volume.

I think that reaching an RH of 54% in the jar after just one week ... is drying/curing the cannabis too quickly.

If you were to smoke it now it would be harsh.

I recommend raising the humidity up to about 70% (humidipak/cool mist humidifier) and slow drying again.

Right now I am three weeks into drying with an RH of 73%.

Here's a chart I use as a reference:

0_cannabis-harvest-drying-curing-cheat-sheet-cut.jpg

*** Always remember our ultimate goal for drying and curing:

The primary functions of drying and curing are potency and flavor. As the chemical components of the plant matter break down over time, it shifts the taste from an overly earthy and green flavor to flavors that are more palatable and that we can more readily associate with particular strains.

This process is conducted by aerobic bacteria present in the plant at the time of harvest. The bacteria consume the chlorophyll in the cannabis making the taste and overall experience less harsh. Just like your grow, your curing buds thrive in a micro-environment dependent on specific conditions in order to nurture the process.

Long, slow dry = cure.

;)

I think that reaching an RH of 54% in the jar after just one week ... is drying/curing the cannabis too quickly.

If you were to smoke it now it would be harsh.

I recommend raising the humidity up to about 70% (humidipak/cool mist humidifier) and slow drying again.

Right now I am three weeks into drying with an RH of 73%.

Here's a chart I use as a reference:

0_cannabis-harvest-drying-curing-cheat-sheet-cut.jpg

*** Always remember our ultimate goal for drying and curing:

The primary functions of drying and curing are potency and flavor. As the chemical components of the plant matter break down over time, it shifts the taste from an overly earthy and green flavor to flavors that are more palatable and that we can more readily associate with particular strains.

This process is conducted by aerobic bacteria present in the plant at the time of harvest. The bacteria consume the chlorophyll in the cannabis making the taste and overall experience less harsh. Just like your grow, your curing buds thrive in a micro-environment dependent on specific conditions in order to nurture the process.
Thanks. I think my trouble was the buds were already crispy after five days. With my work schedule I was unable to get them in jars til the 5.5 day mark...so this my dilemma. The only thing I can think of that I did different was not soaking the plants soil for several days and sitting it in the dark and bud washing..? I soaked it in rain, as my usual practice but cut the buds and washed them individually (also new practice for me) then cut on long stems and hung in the box. I have hung buds in a box for longer but never had this issue..
They were in an air conditioning space with temps in the 70s.

Back
Top Bottom