Drying/Curing - 1st Time - Advice Welcome

corinth

Hello, ya I just finished drying my harvest hang dried for 5 to 6 daysthen I took them down and cut off all the exposed leave that I didn't want some of it was a little wet on the inside but the rest of the other strains seem dry.Was worried I might dry too much, I'm trying to dry my super sticky/moist spongy white Russian bud. I managed to pull 22 32 oz jars n 2 jars of trim. They been jarred for a day but the buds are.so moist n sticky there clumping together n stick in to my mason jars. I took the white Russian out of the jars, set them in a cardboard box n plan on regarding tonight. I hear poo l use paper bags to help dry a few days before jarring. Anyways am I doing it right ? The other jars aren't sticky spongy so burp those jars less? Basically I'm a skin what to do from here. Appreciate all the help here, o btw the white Russian breaking up my room :) :) :)

Re: PLEASE READ DRY/ CURE MY 1st time HELLLLLLLP PLZZZZ!!!

Not sure about the poo, lol, but it does sound like some of those buds are too wet and need to be dried longer. I could be wrong though... They tend to retain moisture in the middle of the buds and feel crispy dry on the outside, but once in a jar will equalize and feel moist on the outside as well. Too moist and they will start to mold very quickly and will all be ruined. The stems should be brittle and fold over with a sort of snap when you bend them. If in doubt take them out and dry longer.
If you can get your hands on a hygrometer get one they're cheap. They measure moisture in a percentage value- relative humidity. 100% relative humidity means the air is holding all the moisture it possibly can at that temperature before it "rains" out. Toss the hygrometer in the jar and seal it for an hour or so. Should be between 55 and 65% RH in my experience. Usually when I first put the buds in they are about 65 RH and then I keep burping the jars till over time they get to be about 55%. But I don't think they mold at less than 65%. Anyway, knowing the RH will give you a head start on being able to do it by feel.
But in general- yes you are doing it right.

I normally slow air dry any where between 7 to 14 days on average or in till stem cracks with out snapping fully before curing

First few days at 50% RH helps draw out most of the moisture (helps prevent rot during slow air dry) then remaining time at 60% RH in till stem crackle/snap/pop = dehumidifier method i learned from reading Dinafem seed site.

I've over-dried herb before. I've found that a small bit (no more than 1" x 1") of orange or other citrus peel will evenly and slowly raise the moisture level. I just put a small bit of orange peel in a jar and seal it for a few hours.

Also a piece of Apple, potato,etc or (better) a piece of clay or hydroton which is holding moisture. What works best for me is leaving containers open or spread out in a humid place like my shed (have naturally damp climate) protected from the elements, dew, pests, rats, humans, etc. In any case just do a few hours and then seal for a while to let equalize. Again, hygrometer helps a lot to see how things are progressing. With the orange peel/apple/potato method beat not to directly contact herb or you might have a wet clump in that spot.

Will bugs keep drying out that center moisture and hay smell over time burping them? My bugs are still a bit spongy inside figure that'll decrease if I keep burping. The rh in the pineapple express while in a closed container reached 70 This morn being closed for 8 hours or so at a temp of 63 f I'm hoping that inner moisture will spread out evenly over the rest of the bud . Does this sound bout right? Hopefully I'll get rid of the hay smell all together bud smells good on the inside but hay outside .

My currently curing buds are smelling better each day. They started out with a 'green, fresh growth' smell and now it is getting closer to what I would expect buds to smell like as a final product. Give it some more time and we will see

Well this has definitely been a learning experience to say the lease. Put all the strains in there own plastic tub, buddy said itll help evenly dry so 3 strains 3 tubs haven't weighed it all but between the 6 plants I managed at the least 20-25 ounces over my limit maybe but hey. You can smoke it as of now but it's still a little spongy on the inside but it's drying I think I just been burping them for an hour or so then seal them for 12 hrs and repeat doesn't seem like it's changing much wonder if I locked in the moisture. Possibly some of that hay smell. The plants were very healthy till they started to swell and weigh down the branches ,had a few branches bend over a top kola too. It was huge about 2 feet long almost shoulda chopped it down but figured if I splinter it it'd turn out ok. Think some of the heavier buds were effected by the weight of the buds . Was gonna go with a sprog next time and be. Bit more delicate with them, same plan for mutes etc maybe even bring it down some, go with the 1000 w how and side lighting and this time I'll grab a dehumidifier. I think the strain has a lot too do with smell, I had white Russian green crack and pineapple express they smelled nice but no diesel stank smell hella crystal and yield but didn't really dial in on them all. So much pot here make butter? Smoke some? I smoke high grade weed from my dispensary but I wanna make my own...whatcha guy's think?

I hang the whole plant after I cut off the leaves I can. after a few days I cut off all my buds and let them dry in a brown shopping bag. Work's for me but who knows, I'm smoking my own shit. :bigtoke:

20150123_100354.jpg

Back
Top Bottom