Busted

"the kids were doing nothing wrong" - yeah I was just saying maybe the cops were checking them out, i wouldnt have a clue why they got harassed, but im not judging.

The drunk tool wasnt my friend. He's a work mate who works in another dept.

He can kiss my ass from here on. Company is shit most of the time it seems just like trouble invites itself.

Good friends are hard to find.

He turned up at my house with 2/3 of a bottle of JD's in him, staggering around talking shit, saying it was organized by another workmate to get on the piss at mine.

But no-one is asking me if its ok.

I'm sick of people just turning up at my house expecting some kind of "lets get wasted club" its not how i work and never have.

But people dont listen.

I actually tried to accomodate him, and offered to walk him to the chinese place where i wanted to go get dinner, but no he wanted to argue about whether he broke my bike part or not.

he thought it would be funny to push my new motor bike up the street to make me think it was stolen, but while he was doing it he broke my high beam switch on my 8000 dollar bike.

Then decided that If i was accusing him of breaking it, that he'd bash my face in for it.

It was so obvious he did it, i found the part right on the ground where he turned it round, but he wouldnt drop the topic, no he wanted to fight.

I dont give a flying toss about fighting i havent had a fight in 15 years and never wanted one.

Lets just say, the doors are very much locked now and there will never be another piss up at my house, another gathering at my house, and i am getting new friends.

I'm even considering moving, but first i need a place where I can grow before i move.

I've been over it a few times, but getting angry isnt the answer.

It's better to have positive vibes and peace than negative vibes and uncontrollable anger which can take over a mans soul and make one angry and bitter and lead to a circle of violence.

But yes, I should've just picked him up by his legs, and threw him down the stairs the momenti got up or just nifed the crap out of him which i had the opportunity to do but couldnt bring myself to.

But that's now how it worked.

hey bro I sympathize with your situation thank god Im too old for that shit Im happy to smoke my meds listen to the blues a little jazz and grow as many strains as possible I started with 10 arjan haze#1 lost two got 6 critical mass 6 big bud and 4 northen lights all outdoor my next indoor is back too my 318 rainforest trying the pro source 90watt ufo see what happens its great being retired only for that reason but I end up smoking way too much

if its surppressed can they stop u from bringing your own witness i would think all they have too say i was mmj they can supress all the want as long as the jury gets to hear that im sure u dont wanna raise much a stink but u cant keep shut n walked the truth shall set u free your witness tell the jury its mmj it the truth so it isnt perjury comtemp mayb they tell the jurry act like they aint hear that but hope 1 or 2 will n hopfully misstrail

Dang Wingman, I'm sending positive energies your way.
I'm sure you have this covered, but when my activities have been construed to be on the wrong side of any laws, I get the legal shark who most consistently pizzes the "upholders" off.

The best make you want to shower your brain with lye soap after a meeting.

All the best.

:peace:

:thanks:HorseBadortiz, I truly appreciate the good will and positive energy. I hear you loud and clear on the Lawyer advice, been with the same one for some time.

sorry to hear that shit guys nobody deserves beatings like that as far as cops go I would,nt want there jobs too many assholes and goofs out there Iwas in a biker bar having some beers a rival club opened up with machine gus the bar tender right in front of me took a bullet in the head spent the night in the cop shop giving statements I dont want that shit every day only drink at special functions or family gatherings it can be dangerous to your health

harryo, that is too true, I hope the bartender was OK?

Milk the kids were doing nothing wrong. They probably had no place else to hang out.

Thats what cops always go for the "easy" bust. There are good police but as the saying goes "they are never there when you need them."

a rock an a hard place

holysmokey, I know:goodjob:

Hey MilkMan sorry about the beating I know you did the right thing not fighting back what if you hit him and he fell down and died? You would be in jail for manslaughter. That jerk will pay. Karma is a bitch.

Jasonlee247 you asked how or why the cops showed? My X-wife coerced my special needs daughter to lie and fabricate a story that I was smoking pot non stop in front of her and my other kids (aged 5-16) and threatening them all with beatings. (If you knew me you would laugh at this)
This was done because my x wants money, she figured get me arrested and take custody and sue for child support and living expenses. This after cheating on me with the hired help abandoning the kids and not seeing them for 3years. Missed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Birthdays for all kids. She only comes around once every 4-6 months asking for money for *****, and promising my kids everything and anything only to disappoint them with empty words.

Thanks to all here I hope none of you ever go thru this bullsh*t

My X-wife coerced my special needs daughter to lie and fabricate a story that I was smoking pot non stop in front of her and my other kids (aged 5-16) and threatening them all with beatings.

I just realized that we are family because we obviously were married to the same woman!! :)

Hey Wingman580 and TheMilkMan: Please see the very last paragraph in this novel.

As a Licesed Patient and Caregiver I am going to trial or will accept a dismissal of all charges by the Superior Court.

I am very glad to hear that. Many times it has appeared to be easier to look for the easy way out. But that just makes it harder for the next person in your situation.

Additionally, some states automatically disallow medical cards to people who have been convicted of certain types of crimes and I'd hate to think that you violated your OWN future rights.

I was not raided with a Warrant I had my Civil Rights violated by Fascist Police whose Gestapo tactics must be stopped. I will put up with these abuses no longer I have had enough. The police came to my home spoiling to search and arrest me. When I informed them they would need a Warrant to search they threw me to the floor and charged me with assault on a policemen that is 6'4" 325lbs who was with his sgt in my home. I am 100% disabled with limited mobility.

I'm sure that witnesses would corroborate your story and you would be in the clear. If there were witnesses that were allowed to testify. Who were not considered to be hostile witnesses. Who were completely honest.

This drives home a point that I'd like to bring up - Many is the time that I've noticed video cameras around hardcore druggies' places. I think that everyone who grows cannabis - and especially those who do so legally - should do the same. In your case (and after the fact when we know what you went through), I'd have suggested hidden cameras going to a hidden recording device (a computer works great and you can build a very small one and hide it well (dogs wouldn't go point on a hidden pc like they would on a hidden (but odorous) plant). And while a judge might conceivably disallow a witness, he/she would have a much harder time disallowing video (and SOUND! Make sure you're getting audio too.) evidence that came from a recording that covered the ENTIRE occasion from before they got there to after they left, for it would be considered non-prejudicial regardless of which side did the recording.

I am hoping at Superior Court or State Supreme Court my rights will be restored insuring access to MMJ for all patients and Caregivers in RI.

Obviously we don't have the entire story from both sides but I find myself believing that you were in the right. Ok, I'm biased but still...

I am heartened to read that you know that the actual trial need not be the end of this for you and that if you are wrongfully-convicted that you still have a path. If you were well within the letter of the law you should receive justice at the trial but if not, that's a part of what Courts of Appeals, your state's Supreme Court, and even the US Supreme Court (Wouldn't THAT be an ironic twist if you ended up receiving justice there? But I hope it need not go that far.) are for. They're also interpretors of the laws so one hopes that you are CLEARLY within the well-defined parts of the relevant laws. We don't need anyone "interpreting" things in a way that is obviously in opposition to the spirit of these laws.

I hate cops.

I don't. I like a few of them. A larger portion of them have my respect. Many I don't feel strongly about one way or the other. Several... Well, those I hold in contempt and would never want to be friends with. A very, very few do I hate (I'm not much of a hater). I've known lots of cops (truth be told, I've got a few in the family). They're people. People come in good sorts and bad sorts. I understand that they're in low-paying jobs attempting to do something that many times seems to be un-doable. A couple of times years back I was helped by (or at least they made the attempt) LEOs in cases where the only thing that "forced" them to do so was their own set of morals and not only would they still have gotten paid had they not done so, one of them spent quite a lot of his own time on it.

Cops spend most of their time bored. A fair portion of the rest of their time they are annoyed, harangued, see (real) criminals that they arrested walk free, spend time thinking about the fact that their spouses are no longer faithful due to their hours and the fact that they cannot entirely leave the problems and stresses of their job outside when they go home at night (or in the morning), and some smallish portion of their time they are in rather dangerous situations where they could be killed - and are generally told that they can't shoot first. Those kinds of situations tend to dump large amounts of adrenaline into the bloodstream which is often not a good thing. When you've just spent time in a situation where your fight-or-flight mechanisms are in full-swing - and your job description states that flight is not an option - it is possible to understand, for example, why when a group of cops finally succeeds in forcing someone trying to get away in a stolen car out of that car, that they often throw him to the ground and drop an unnecessary knee into his kidneys while cuffing him (or the old <BAM> watch your head when entering the back of my cruiser, please).

Which is not to say I condone such behavior. I deplore it. But I can understand its nature. Because cops are...

...people. There are good ones, bad ones, and indifferent ones. So I can never use such a blanket statement ("I hate cops.").

And in Wingman580's particular case... Brother, I feel for you and hope it gets put to rights. But even there I cannot say, "I hate cops." Because there are bound to have been at least a percentage of halfway-decent ones involved. Let's hope that they're truly good people and will come forward and stand up for their actions (and their peers') and bear witness to what actually happened without regard to their own future situations (which is part of being a good person, doing right regardless of the personal consequences).

They need to go catch criminals instead of bothering with the petty stuff. I think they are just scared children who are afraid to fight real crime cause they can get hurt. So they concentrate on speeders, light runners and people smoking a joint. Reps when I can.

If there is a law against it then technically it's criminal activity. I agree that it's far more important to go after child-molesters, killers, and thieves than speeders. But I've never felt that it was anyone's fault that I got a ticket but my own. That's why it's so important to speak (and vote) your feelings on laws that you feel are wrong or unconstitutional. As long as there is a law on the books, it is not the cop's fault for enforcing it. Even the ones that I don't agree with.

I hate to say this on this thread, but sometimes cops do good things that actually do help and keep us safe. Definitely not in wingmans case tho.

Yeah, it's weird to be defending the good cops in a thread about a bro who got popped for something that we do not feel should be a crime in the first place, huh? But I believe that the majority of LEOs at least try to do the right thing (Caveat: The right thing as they see it. Many of them could use a better education of course.). Were that not the case... Well, pick any country where cops are so low-paid (even worse than they are here haha) and held in such low esteem that they take end up taking bribes to put food on the table and compromising their beliefs just to survive... Yeah, would you want to live there?.

Yesterday night, I had a drunk workmate gatecrash my house after downing 2/3's of a bottle of jack daniels.

After he broke a piece off my new scooter, and didnt like being "accused", he proceeded to beat me down (a 63kg guy with 2 hearing aids with 2 cones in him vs a 77kg drunk guy on a rage) and kicked me in the head 40-50 times, stomped on my head, and punched me over 20 times over about 3 minutes.

Ive spent the day in hospital, half the night in the cop shop giving evidence, all my pot has been taken off the property, i will have crime scene officers in my house to get evidence.

As much as I don't want to deal with the police, and as much as I admitted smoking a couple of cones before this happened, (the cop did'nt give a shit) as much as this court case wont see the light of day for 6 months in a court room, i wont tolerate the wanton destruction of drunken violence in my home by drunk gatecrashers.

In fact the next time people start drinking, I'm gone.

My day time smoking is finished, my afternoon smoking is finished, and i will only smoke late at night when there's no-one around.

No more parties, no more gatherings, no more people coming to my house.

It's finished.

I'm going to get new, decent and non drinkers for friends.

Hanging around dickheads, might get you killed for nothing.

While I agree it would be wise indeed to cultivate friends who really ARE friends instead of people like you mention, I am sad that you've felt the need to change your lifestyle because of the actions of another. I've had a few situations where I learned the hard way that "friends" aren't friends. Not like your situation, but I suppose that they could have escalated to such had I allowed them to do so.

I ended up understanding that my "no violence for violence" theory that If i take the bashing and offer no fight back, then its no fun for him because then hes just a "little" bully and therefore cause i didnt do anything and he just bashed the shit out of me, in court its going to be "what you just bashed him, and he didnt even raise his hands and let you kick him in the head 40 odd times?"

Yeah... That works if you're dealing with a schoolyard bully who is only giving you wedgies because in his eyes he gains stature in front of the other kids. But it turns out that there are some piss-poor excuses for human beings walking the planet. Even some true sociopaths. There are people who actually find enjoyment in inflicting pain on others and many of them couldn't care less if you fight back or not.

Some of them will still be kicking your corpse even after you've vacated it. Even if there is no gain involved. Even if nobody is watching

it actually makes me feel quite satisfied cause ive got no regrets and zero answering for my actions as there were none apart from grabbing a nife, but if your gunna get killed what you going to think of?.

If I just got dusted, I HOPE that my final thoughts wouldn't be something along the lines of "Gee, I wonder if I'd have been better off defending myself? Oh well, at least my kids will always know that I lived - and died - according to my beliefs. Maybe that thought will keep them warm and well-fed at night. That sounds like them coming now. No, kids, don't come in here! I'm a bit messy right now what with the whole voiding of my bowels and bladder and this big dent in my temple and all. Boy I feel sorry for the undertaker that has to clean ME up."

Ok, that's a little extreme. I'm glad that the guy stopped stomping on your noggin before your brains started leaking out of your ears. (Speaking of which... kicked in the head 30-40 times, WtF? Was he bare-foot? I got kicked only a few times in the head 20 years ago and the next thing I knew I was in the hospital and it was four days later and suffered some vision problems that were bad for quite a while and not 100% gone yet and I still have very bad headaches that I've been told at least a sizable portion of which stem from that night. They should outlaw cowboy boots, lofl.)

If it looks like someone might end up kicking me in the head... Well, they're not going to get to that point. Trust me.

Although if it happens again, im running down the road way before it gets to that level!

No doubt, running has its place. Especially when being attacked by a sloppy drunk who's lost his sense and coordination. He might run out in front of old lady Gladys driving home from visiting her husband at the nursing home and get pasted. Everyone knows Gladys can't see too well any more and these days her reaction-times aren't the best. Or the drunk might get distracted by someone else and end up pummeling them instead.

Then again, it could be that you'd run out in front of Gladys and get pasted. She'd probably be all torn-up over that (and so, I might add, would you, lol). Who knows, she might be upset even if it was the drunk she ran over. And the person that could potentially distract the drunk from his intentions of beating you down - and who themselves ended up taking the beating - might be your friend, your spouse, or your wife. Or some poor slob just trying to get home from work in time to sit supper with his family.

Personally, were I in your shoes, out of those potential participants (myself, the drunk, old lady Gladys, a friend/child/spouse), I'd rather the drunk got schooled by the school of hard knocks than anyone else.

Nothings worth getting bashed and its not worth fighting back, rather just defend myself as best I can, if i stick the nife in him, that dosent make it stop, so i didnt do it.

Many things are worth getting bashed. Would you have lifted your hands if it were your wife that was getting beaten? Your kid? What about a stranger? Ok, none of them - but you could have been killed and it would have been a grave disservice to leave your child without a father, your wife without a husband, or even that stranger without someone who might have otherwise been able to lend a helping hand in times of need.

BtW, "zero answering from your actions, as there were none apart from grabbing a knife(sic)" - Do they punish people for defending themselves (and their property) from grevious bodily injury in your country? Also... I'd like to suggest in no uncertain terms that grabbing a deadly instrument and NOT having the intention of using it to defend yourself is akin to attempted suicide in many (most?) cases; the person might decide it'd be a lot easier to take it away and use it on you than to tire himself from all the kicking and punching, or he might (rightfully, in many cases) assume that you were about to defend yourself with it and that at that point it would be in his best interests in terms of survival to take it away from you? Even if he didn't plan on gutting you like a squirrel with it you could end up getting stabbed in the ensuing struggle. Basically, that was IMHO a rather unintelligent thing to have done and I'm glad that it didn't prove to be fatal. You seem to be a good guy.

AND consider this: What if by the time the guy sobered up he believed that he'd just given you a little tap/shove/whatever because you got in his face about the scooter (which he - again, in his mind - may or may not have broken but certainly didn't mean to damage) when for no apparent reason you pulled a knife on him? What if he was so convinced that this was the actual nature of events that he took a polygraph - and passed it? Why... He could walk free and unpunished for his crime. Worse yet, he might be able to sue you depending on how messed-up (if at all) your courts are.

If you have no intentions of using a knife, gun, bottle, hatchet, rock, sword, or pen in an altercation, then don't pick one up!

I think that's all it came down to in the end, is just keep asking him to "stop, im not going to fight, i wont hit you i wont touch you just stop", why keep bashing me over a piece of plastic and the fact that your wrong?

I'm glad that you were able to get him to see your side of things. Around here, drunks are notoriously hard to reason with. It must be something in the... water:grinjoint:. And I'm glad you survived.

I just came back from the suppermarket and watched. Three cop cars rolled up on some teens just hanging near there pick up truck. They were quiet and lawful. I don't get cops they must have something better to do. The guy was asked for id and all and it looked like he called him mom and handed the cop the phone but I am not sure. He was handed a piece of paper maybe a ticket.

Fact is that groups of youngsters do occasionally commit crimes or make a nuisance of themselves. Sometimes this can be headed off beforehand by a LEO making contact with them. At the very least, he's then gotten a good look at and identified them and if something does later happen and he gets a call that it was done by three young guys in a pickup that matches the description then he's already got some idea of who they are.

Not that that was the case - it's usually not. There was a time when all cops WALKED their beat and spoke to everyone that they came in contact with - and knew them. It's not like that now but they still are supposed to make contact with the public where feasible.

Actually, it doesn't read like a case of harassment at all. Just a cop checking out a small group of people on his beat. I'm guessing from your description that the kid either didn't have his driver's license on him or didn't have one at all (was the truck driven away by one of the other guys instead of him?) and when the kid didn't have ID but offered to call his mom for verification (who knows, maybe to explain that yes it was him and yes he had permission to be out with his friends in HER truck?), he agreed because it was a simple and quick way to ID the kid. If that was the case then the piece of paper was probably either a written warning - cops usually put them in writing when they've already radioed in on a call but if they haven't then they might make it a simple verbal one) - or an actual ticket for not having a driver's license. Been there, done that... And got the ticket. I actually didn't HAVE a DL (not "just didn't have it on me") and the cop patiently explained to me that all I had to do to get out of it was to stop being an idiot driving without one (I did have insurance, lofl, long story) and go get my license and then show them to the judge at which point he'd throw the ticket out. Even though the cop didn't have to explain that and even though the judge wouldn't have to toss the ticket since I was 100% guilty at the time. So I did and the judge did and we all lived happily ever... Well, you know. I was embarrased in front of a girl. And somewhat apprehensive (had a sack and a pipe in the console). And annoyed by the fact that I had to stand there beside my car while he radioed in that he was off the call and to drive three blocks, turn the corner, drive two more blocks, stop, go on break, and studiously sit there NOT watching me get back in and drive home:grinjoint:. Oh yeah, lol, he'd already told me that I was absolutely NOT to drive and that he was going to go take his break at that hotdog stand but "Just as soon as my break is over - in about 20 minutes - I'm going to come back here and check to make sure that you're not sitting here behind the wheel and AFTER THAT I'm going to keep my eye out to make sure that you're not driving." Unfortunately, it was either turn where he did and drive right past him to get home or drive like 26 miles out of the way to get there. (Gee, I never thought about it before, but maybe he planned it that way to see (unofficially) that I took my ass straight home instead of driving around? Hmm...) Anyway, I went passed him only a couple miles over the limit (slow for me) with my seatbelt on, both hands on the wheel, radio off, and most definitely NOT looking his way. But the girl I had with me of course had to put the old hairy eyeball on him, lol. So when I turned the next corner to drive across the bridge I asked her if he was looking. She replied, "Yeah. I looked him right in the eye. Then he turned his head and looked the other way. Weird, huh?"

Yep. Cops are people too.

When I was at the police station last night giving my statement, there were 3 large posters on the wall stating how to identify crime or perhaps suspicious crime.

One of the lines on car thieves read "people loitering around parked cars anytime of the day or night".

Who knows whats up, no-one likes the cops but i suppose if ones not doing anything wrong then they have no reason to be worried about anything right?

hate or not to hate, we still need cops.

Its just the law that needs changing towards Cannabis in my opinion.

Once thats out of the way, we can all spark up a J and know that its actual criminals who cause actual crime that are being staked out.

<DING> We have a winner! It's smart to check people out - without harrassing them - if your job is law-enforcement. In a respectful fashion. And they are needed. And it is not the cops' fault that ther:grinjoint:e is an unconsciounable law on the books. Their job is not to legislate or to interpret the laws, but to enforce them.

Fix the cannabis laws. If at that point there is any "bad" police action then it will be those police who will be the criminals - and they should then be punished in accordance with the laws.

"the kids were doing nothing wrong" - yeah I was just saying maybe the cops were checking them out, i wouldnt have a clue why they got harassed, but im not judging.

I'm sure he was checking them out. But it didn't read like a case of harassment. Of course I wasn't there to see and hear the entire event so I can't say for sure.[/QUOTE]

He turned up at my house with 2/3 of a bottle of JD's in him, staggering around talking shit, saying it was organized by another workmate to get on the piss at mine.

But no-one is asking me if its ok.

I'm sick of people just turning up at my house expecting some kind of "lets get wasted club" its not how i work and never have.

But people dont listen.

I actually tried to accomodate him, and offered to walk him to the chinese place where i wanted to go get dinner, but no he wanted to argue about whether he broke my bike part or not.

he thought it would be funny to push my new motor bike up the street to make me think it was stolen, but while he was doing it he broke my high beam switch on my 8000 dollar bike.

Then decided that If i was accusing him of breaking it, that he'd bash my face in for it.

It was so obvious he did it, i found the part right on the ground where he turned it round, but he wouldnt drop the topic, no he wanted to fight.

I dont give a flying toss about fighting i havent had a fight in 15 years and never wanted one.

Lets just say, the doors are very much locked now

So the guy has already won - or at least you've lost.

I'm even considering moving, but first i need a place where I can grow before i move.

Wow, he's really beaten you BAD - and I'm not talking about the bruises.

Regardless of their stated goals, terrorists ACTUAL goal is to destroy the way of life of their victims. Do you see any kind of a correlation here?

I've been over it a few times, but getting angry isnt the answer.

In a way, you are absolutely correct. Violence should never walk hand-in-hand with anger.

It's better to have positive vibes and peace than negative vibes and uncontrollable anger which can take over a mans soul and make one angry and bitter and lead to a circle of violence.

Especially not uncontrollable anger. That leads to mindless violence.

But yes, I should've just picked him up by his legs, and threw him down the stairs the momenti got up or just nifed the crap out of him which i had the opportunity to do but couldnt bring myself to.

<SHRUGS> I have been called a pacifist (both as a complement and as an insult) many times because I do not react explosively in situations where it is expected. Oddly, I have also been called "one violent SoB" a few times when the situation was serious enough that I considered a violent act to be warranted. But they were not mindless, ill-considered, or uncontrollable acts. Actually, they were thought out, well-considered, and quite controlled (one might even say surgical, lol).

For example: I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of one of my basement windows being dropped to the concrete floor. I was unarmed when I ran into basement because - naturally - the thought that some miscreant might be violating me was the farthest thing from my mind. I live in an old house and it was windy and I was operating on the assumption that it just fell "on its own." Imagine my surprise, me standing there without a stitch on, and there's this burglar in the process of crawling head-first into my home! I grabbed the baseball bat that was a few feet away and popped the guy one. Nothing deadly, lol, I only broke his collar-bone. It appeared that he was still coming - ok, turned out he was probably at that point just falling in from gravity but is it my place to assume that the guy is innocent of any criminal intent when he so plainly is anything but? - so I just popped him again (couple ribs, again nothing a bit more severe then the situation and his actions warranted). He landed head-first on the concrete, I guess he probably had trouble cushioning his fall with one functioning arm and all, and was silent and still. I grabbed a handy spool of telephone wire and tied his arms behind his back (which woke him up straightaway) and to one of the support-poles for my basement ceiling. As he was becoming quite loud I told him that if he wasn't quiet I'd go for a home-run - he shut up - and that if he pulled too hard on the pole he'd just end up buried under the house. (I meant that the floor might fall on him, but is it my fault if he misunderstood, lmfao?) Then I walked upstairs and dialed 911 to report the break-in.

To the best of my recollection, the call went something like this:

"911 Operator, what is the nature of your emergency?"
"Some clown just broke into my home."
"Are you inside? Is he still inside?"
"Yes to both but it's cool, he's trussed up pretty good. Tell the responding officers not to run their sirens because they'd just wake up the neighbors - and this guy isn't going anywhere."
"You're sure that you aren't in any immediate danger?"
"I'm fine, my GF is fine (and still asleep), the pets are fine, everything is fine except for my window. Oh... And the asshole that broke in isn't fine. He seems to have hurt himself. You might want to send an ambulance for him after you dispatch your officers."
"Will do. I'm switching you to someone who'll remain on the line with you in case of trouble."
"Ma'am, there's no trouble and not going to be any. I'm buck-naked and I'm going to go upstairs and get dressed. <CLICK>"
She then immediately called back - which woke the girlfriend, so I let her talk to the dispatcher (poor dispatcher, lofl) while I got dressed. As I came out of the bathroom my GF looked at me and asked, "Is this a joke?" No, there's some guy tied up in the basement, lol. She, of course, had to go look for herself. I'm guessing that the dispatcher was beginning to question the validity of the call as she wasn't one who knew me. I finished dressing, had a few hits (I wasn't "tore up" or shaking, but I was still highly annoyed), washed the smell off my hands, and went into the living room. A couple of minutes later two cops showed up.

They got a real kick out of the whole thing. One (who knew me well enough to know that I've got a few firearms in the house) jokingly asked me why I didn't shoot the guy. My perfectly honest answer was that the bat was right there, that capping him didn't seem to be warranted (although who knows if the guy breaking in might decide that leaving witnesses would be inconvenient?), and that if I'd run upstairs to grab a piece the guy might have heard me, ran off, and just robbed someone else that night.

That last bit, it's kind of important. I could lock myself into my own home (but it would then be called a p-r-i-s-o-n, lol) and install bars on the windows. That would have kept that tool from trying to hit my house. But it would have done absolutely nothing in the way of preventing a crime. It might in fact have precipitated even worse crimes if he then ended up being in a hurry by the time he hit poor old widow Olsen down the street and might have bludgeoned her to death right off the "bat" in order to assure himself of success. So I handled it with the proper amount of violence. The guy may well have continued to be a criminal after he got out of jail (which he went to after he got out of the hospital), but then again, he was still young (17) and his mom by all reports was trying to raise him better - and I suppose he did get a rather abrupt reality-check - so maybe he straightened up, IDK. It is certainly true that he never bothered ME again.

I get the feeling that in addition to that particular situation and yours being different in nature, we also live in different political climates. From your mode of English I'm guessing you live somewhere in UK? That is interesting in and of itself as far as the question of "Is violence EVER the answer?" goes. I mean... England has pretty much got a "No guns at all" thing going, and I respect your choice - assuming that it is the will of Her people - as much as I respect any freely-given choice that I do not happen to believe in. I, OtOH, live in a community that has an "open carry" law (which means that you cannot carry a concealed firearm - unless you want to take a class and go down to the courthouse & pay for a permit - but it's perfectly legal to walk down the street with a rifle slung over your shoulder or a handgun in a visible holster as long as you don't walk into a beer joint, church, government office, or any business/home where a sign is posted telling you that you can't (it's the owner's choice as to whether or not he/she allows it). You'd think that there might be a high incidence of gun-related crimes here since many people have at least one (and know how to use them properly). But our overall crime rate is low and outside of the odd drugs crime (not talking about cannabis of course) so is the incidence of gun(/etc.) violence. It's actually measurably lower than many communities of the same general size, genetic makeup, and other demographics but where guns are seriously frowned upon.

Which is not to infer that our crime is non-existent. Far from it, we have some crime. And even the odd killing. Around Christmas some drunk woman bashed her even drunker old man in the head with a bottle after he drank more of the contents then she thought was fair. It turns out that it doesn't take a firearm to produce violence - almost anything will do if people are of a mind, including half a brick in a sock (lofl) or even a high-heeled shoe.

Anyway, I was asked to go downtown the next day and make a statement. I did. I was there all of 25 minutes or so. I also was asked to testify at the goof's trial but that turned out not to be necessary as he pled guilty.

I hope you do not read my words and decide that I'm a violent individual. I walk in the rain, I stop and smell flowers in bloom, I mow grass, shovel snow, and take food to my old and ill neighbors. I cried like a baby at Dad's funeral - and I've been known to privately admit that I also shed a few tears when I buried a pet cat that had been with me for over 15 years. When I was married (to a psycho), she once went off her pills and ended up trying to stab me with a butcher-knife. I was pissed(!). I took it away from her (got a 4" scar on my arm from that), threw it in the sink, and walked her backwards into the bedroom where I forced her to take her meds and left her while I called her mother (and eventually, an ambulance as I was leaking copious amounts of blood). I never even thought of becoming violent over it; when danger struck, my concern was for HER.

But I've found that pacifism, door-matting, "passive non-violence," whatever you want to call it works fine when the opposition will never in any way, shape, or form resort to violence. But as there is violence in the world, I cannot refuse to consider it as an option when it is called for. That seemed to get a lot of Jewish people in trouble at one time because they reacted with non-violence in a situation where the opposition didn't care a whole lot whether they resisted or not. I have read several reports of cases where non-violent acts produced results... But it is also correct that in 99.99% of even those cases the actual people involved were protected in at least some small fashion by others who WERE willing to be violent. Rosa Parks accomplished much, I've read, but she was a citizen of a nation that had fought in wars and who's police force stands ever ready to use violence - if necessary.

I guess I'm just trying to say... What was I trying to say, again? Oh yeah. I respect your decision to refuse to seriously consider violence as a possible viable solution to a problem. But rest assured, if I'm ever out for a stroll and find you on the ground with someone repeatedly kicking you in the head (for example), I do hope that you will eventually find it in your heart to forgive me for doing whatever I feel is adequate to stop him from beating you, even if that turns out to be using my pig-sticker - or my Ruger if he's big, armed, and/or out of his skull on peeceepee or the like - on him. I mean, I'd completely understand the fact that you'd rather I didn't do anything of the sort - I just wasn't raised to be one of those people who stand around and wait to see if a cop will come or a lightning bolt will come out of the blue sky and smite him for you.

Thats what cops always go for the "easy" bust.

Well... Most will. That does not automatically mean that they'll shy away from the difficult ones - but in pool if you don't see a challenging shot to take, you're going to sink a cherry.

Hey MilkMan sorry about the beating I know you did the right thing not fighting back what if you hit him and he fell down and died? You would be in jail for manslaughter. That jerk will pay. Karma is a bitch.

He didn't do the wrong thing, but it remains to be seen as to whether or not he did the best right thing.

"What if you'd hit him and he fell down and died?" Respectfully... He'd be dead. That is the only absolute that you can draw from the statement. You wouldn't be very likely to be in jail for manslaughter or anything else. You'd have been questioned, certainly.

Nonviolence is a good general way to be, but in certain specific situations it seems to be warranted.

Wingman580: I wish to state once again my wishes that you find justice. Additionally, I find that I've written a novel when I started out to write a paragraph. Since this is your thread, if you are offended by my ramblings or feel that they are inappropriate to either your original subject matter or other points discussed within it then by all means please PM me and I will ask Soniq420 to remove my post(s). I intended no disrespect to you or anyone else. TheMilkMan: Having realized that many of my comments were in response to your words, I also wanted to state that I intended no disrespect to you. My words are as always, simply my best opinions based on what I've learned about myself and human nature. I do respect your non-violent leanings. I feel that the majority of people are basically non-violent and in a just and fair society that would be fine for the most part. But in many cases around the world life is neither fair nor just and I see things getting a great deal worse in the future before they either get better or we become an extinct species. It is possible that we'll both live long enough to see things fall apart. If so, I will probably "run to the hills" if I can get my loved ones to a safe place first. In that case, I will still respect your philosophy. So much so that if we run into each other in that terrible time, I will invite you into my home - be it a house, a cave, or just some branches to keep out the weather - and will do what I can to defend you, your loved ones, and the ideals that you have. Even to the point of fighting for them, and of dying if necessary. And no, it turns out that I don't really feel that that would be ironic after all, lol.

I worked hand in hand with cops for years. I can't say that I like them. I have seen what is the easy bust far too often and the real crimes going unsolve from mostly laziness or fear. I didn't tell them to go in that line of work. If you do you have to take the good with the bad.

The kids were not doing anything. The truck was parked and they were in the bed of the truck sitting and talking. He did give ID but I couldn't see from my vantage point what it was but does it matter. Nobody was driving and nobody was in the drivers seat.

The old days as you mentioned were different but this is not how it is now. All those cop cars were overkill as usual. One car could have checked to see if they were not doing something correctly. What a waste of my tax money. Then the next thing as they always say we are short cops.

I hate when I come off the highway and see four cop cars checking out the 18 wheelers. One is way more then sufficient. I see this daily and it really upsets me. I know they need to check to make sure they aren't doing anything illegal and such but four cars come on.

You are right about hate they aren't worth my energy. I still don't like them nor do I respect most of them. My opinion after working for over 20 years with them.

wow that crazy people love to abuse power most im wit soul lets goo\ to the video tape thats a great peice of evidence they try an get around warrent n e way they can happens alot but a tape of no warrent no permison that case would be dropped like a hot potatoe at least what i understand

T.S. - can I shop that post around to a few publishers... please? I'll only take 15% of your royalties... :)

It's always a trip to get a peek inside a Tortured Soul... :adore:

Seriously, most of us have seen the good, bad, and ugly side of cops... it's too bad we need them.

Wow TS you sure can write and I do agree with much of what you state. I do however take exception with one point point.
1. You state that if he killed him, "he would not be in jail." I do realize you live in a State where carrying a weapon is all good and legal provided it is in plain sight. I do not and much of the world is so politically correct it makes me vomit. In RI and many States across America this is not the case. In addition many states RI included have strict laws about this very topic it clearly states that all citizens or visitors within the boundaries of the state have a "Duty of Flight" meaning that if someone is violating the law against you or your property the victim HAS to run away and seek help! The only exception to this and it MUST be proven (many times at trial) is if you were in fear of Corporal Harm. Now I realize Milk Man was clearly in fear as he was being harmed but as someone who has been to trial on this very topic unless you have money for bail and a great lawyer ($$$ also) you will sit in jail at least until bail review and if charged with a Capital crime such as murder u will remain there until you are acquitted. I do not say this is right and is the reason Florida passed the "No Fear Act" which allows people to use deadly force to protect themselves and property from carjackers, rapists, muggings, and even simple pickpockets.
I am right on board with many things you say but as someone who has seen both sides of the coin it is a difficult decision and I myself am unfamiliar with UK Law.

Thank you very much for the reply and editorial. I am flattered and grateful you would share your opinions and experiences with everyone here and offer such proven and worthwhile advice.
+Rep

PS: As for video and audio recordings I thought long and hard about that while in prison and will do so ASAP as this is THE BEST advice given to anyone who is growing or might come in contact with police!

Back
Top Bottom