California Ready for Historic Vote on Marijuana Regulation

Weedpipe

420 Member
On Tuesday, January 12, members of the California Assembly will hold a historic vote on statewide marijuana policy. Members of the Public Safety Committee will decide on Assembly Bill 390, the Marijuana Control, Regulation, and Education Act, which seeks to regulate and control the production, distribution, and personal use of marijuana for adults age 21 and older.

Tuesday's vote will mark the first time since 1913, when California became one of the first states in the nation to enact cannabis prohibition, that lawmakers have reassessed this failed policy.

If a majority of the Public Safety Committee votes 'yes' on AB 390, the bill will immediately face a separate vote in the California State Assembly Committee on Health. (I have been tentatively invited to testify before this committee; you can read my prepared testimony here.) In short, members of both committees will likely be voting on this historic measure next week. That is why we need your support in contacting the members of these legislative committees today!

To date, over 8,000 of you have contacted your California Assemblymembers via NORML's Capwiz 'Take Action' Center. This is a tremendous outpouring of public support, but we need to ramp up our advocacy before next week's vote.

If you reside in California please click here to find a list of Assembly members who sit on the key committees overseeing AB 390. Constituents in their districts are urged to phone or fax support their for AB 390 today. Lawmakers' district phone numbers, fax numbers, and e-mail contact information appears here.

If your member of the Assembly does not appear on this list, please take a moment this week to call and leave a polite, concise phone message voicing your support for AB 390 with the Assembly Committees of Public Safety and Health. You can find the direct line for these committees, as well as for their Chair and Vice-Chairs, here and here.

Finally, Californians can also send a letter of support directly to their individual member of the Assembly by using NORML's pre-written letter service here.

Let's begin 2010 by letting California's politicians know that the time to end the state's nearly 100-year failed experiment with marijuana prohibition is now!

YouTube - Judge Testifies for Marijuana Legalization in California

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Opposing Views
Author: NORML
Copyright: 2008 Opposing Views, Inc.
Website:California Ready for Historic Vote on Marijuana Regulation

I just watched all of the videos presented here. could anyone out there PLEASE tell me how the gov. keeps their boots on our necks?? I feel like we are living somewhere other than the good ole U.S. where it is meant to be our government not theirs

Money, Money is the reason along with racism and fear.

The reason that California was one of the first states to outlaw marijuana was because Illegal Hispanics preferred to use marijuana over alcohol. One of the reasons was that white people were afraid that they would rape their women while High. New Orleans had blackface laws against the Jazz musicians. Jack Herer In in the emperor wears no cloths talks about the blackface laws . Anslingers reasons was based upon racism too. Look at how the marijuana laws have been used to arrest far more black than whites when whites people are the number one users of marijuana. This is why I feel that racism plays a role. :surf:

Look at how the marijuana laws have been used to arrest far more black than whites when whites people are the number one users of marijuana.

I am not doubting you, but I have heard that said before but have not seen any conclusive evidence to support the claim. :hmmmm:

^^ Check these graphs and citations How Come White People Never Get Arrested for Marijuana in NYC?

the post above this has the narrative that discusses the graphs.

This is just NYC, but if you search for the Uniform Crime report, the one the FBI puts out every year, I think they break down all 872,000 annual marijuana arrests by race and other demographics.

^^ Check these graphs and citations How Come White People Never Get Arrested for Marijuana in NYC?

the post above this has the narrative that discusses the graphs.

This is just NYC, but if you search for the Uniform Crime report, the one the FBI puts out every year, I think they break down all 872,000 annual marijuana arrests by race and other demographics.

i went to the fbi ucr for 2008 and perhaps i am reading it wrong. i cannot find marijuana arrests by race, but i did find a category for drug abuse violation arrests by race and their numbers were 63.8% whites and 34.8% blacks. assuming that whites make up 65% of the total population and blacks make up 13.5% (census numbers), that would mean a disproportionate number of blacks were arrested in comparison to whites. while the numbers do not separate the marijuana related offenses from other drug offenses, it would tend to support the argument that blacks are more likely to be arrested for marijuana offenses than whites. thanx for the clarification Soniq.

Hogdaddy, Google prison populations statics by state. it is a little bit of work but you will see the whole picture. It will blow you a way on what the real picture is when it comes to racism in America. I love this Marijuana movement. It's good medicine. I always say where their smoke theirs fire. Have a great day...:surf:

Hogdaddy, Google prison populations statics by state. it is a little bit of work but you will see the whole picture. It will blow you a way on what the real picture is when it comes to racism in America. I love this Marijuana movement. It's good medicine. I always say where their smoke theirs fire. Have a great day...:surf:

while I'm not really concerned about the overall racism in america, I am concerned about the role it plays in the fight to legalize cannabis. thx trekkie

Yes, I believe that racism does play a part in the legalization of marijuana and still being used to this day to hurt minorities. laws that were based upon racism have no part in today's society. I feel that we as a country have learn to seek the truth and that politicians are to be watch and judge on their end actions not their words. It is time that all forms of racism be eradicated. Marijuana would be a good place to start. For this is the first step in granting freedom back to all Americans to make a choice and ending one form of racism in America. :surf:

You guys are great civil bunch, it's great to be associated with such as great group

We can touch on sensative topics and have great discussions

:yummy:Plus reps this page ;):yummy:

could anyone out there PLEASE tell me how the gov. keeps their boots on our necks?? I feel like we are living somewhere other than the good ole U.S. where it is meant to be our government not theirs

Voter Apathy

A bunch of people are very vocal, but when it's time to make your voice heard a ton of people just don't get out and vote. If it's really important make sure you make the time to vote and then tell a friend or two, hell walk them to the voting booth!

Just my two cents.

S.F

As a Canadian, I know it will have a negative effect up here since we have Dictator Harper fighting hard to keep Cannabis illegal and not support medical uses.

How is this going to effect the rest of the U.S. ( assuming it passes)?

Just my opinion here MK.

Most other states I'm sure will take a "wait and see" approach. California, Colorado are probably some of our most progressive states right now when it comes to legalization or decriminalization (not for medicinal purposes). I know that (several) states will be keeping a close eye on the monetary equation as it relates to taxes and how it may close budget gaps, if politicians can find a new tax for something you bet they'll tax it. They will probably also be watching the legal "landscape" and how it relates to; less crime, or more crime, state vs federal laws, local enforcement, and the list goes on and on.

Just to be sure, it's a step in the right direction, nonetheless.

As a Canadian, I know it will have a negative effect up here since we have Dictator Harper fighting hard to keep Cannabis illegal and not support medical uses.

Yeah, too bad, you guys swung "Right" during the Bush days, hopefully you guys can rally and swing "Left" again next election.

S.F

Back
Top Bottom