Can I use orange juice to remove Chloramine from my tap water?

Q: Can Vitamin C be used to remove chlorine and chloramine for bathing purposes?
A: Exposures via respiration do not occur from use of chloraminated drinking water. Based on
personal preference, some individuals may choose to reduce exposure to chlorine or chloramine.
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) has recently been included in AWWA Standard (AWWA, 2005b) as one
of the methods for dechlorination of disinfected water mains. SFPUC and other utilities have used
Vitamin C for dechlorination prior to environmental discharges of chlorinated and chloraminated
water. Since ascorbic acid is weakly acidic, the pH of water may decrease slightly (Tikkanen et
al., 2001). Ascorbic acid has been used for a long time as one of the dechlorinating agents for
preservation of chlorinated or chloraminated water samples for laboratory analysis.
The removal of chloramine is not necessary from a public health perspective; however, some
customers may choose to remove either chlorine or chloramine for bathing purposes. There are
no NSF International certified point of use devices utilizing Vitamin C; however SFPUC
determined that 1000 mg of Vitamin C (tablets purchased in a grocery store, crushed and mixed
in with the bath water) remove chloramine completely in a medium size bathtub without
significantly depressing pH. Shower attachments containing Vitamin C can be purchased on the
Internet, as well as effervescent Vitamin C bath tablets. The 1000 mg effervescent Vitamin C
tablets dissolved readily without residue but may depress pH more than regular Vitamin C tablets
purchased in grocery stores. Some shower attachments with Vitamin C marketed on the Internet
are effective in removing chloramine; however, the claims posted on the Internet as to their
replacement frequency appear to overestimate the duration when the shower attachment is
effective. There are reports of the benefits of Vitamin C for skin care (Griffith, 1998) and various
cosmetics are available in stores that contain Vitamin C. SFPUC does not recommend for
customers to use Vitamin C for bathing purposes and anyone desiring to do that should consult
with their physician.

Now how to figure out how many gallons are in the bathtub they used 1000mg for and converting to 5gal lol!

I recently bought some powder off amazing and just sprinkle a bit in, stir it up and don’t think twice about it. Being in living organic soil I do t care about PH anyway! Don’t overthink it!

From what I’ve read it does not remove chlorine or chloramine but it causes a chemical reaction that strips them down into separate non microbe dangerous compounds. I’m lucky enough not to have chloramine in my water and found growing with my tap water as is just fine but for a little sprinkle of powder maybe I’ll go to the next level!

It took a bit of calculating but I cyphered it down to 25 mg per gal... now to find 25 mg tabs or fi d it in powder form
I guess I got it from earlier in this thread, so maybe get @Canachris to confirm where he got the calc from.

Try going to your local tropical fish store. Chlorine and Chloramine are both toxic to fish, you can buy chlorine and chloramine nuetralizer (seperate products). Usually a drop to a gallon. It's cheap and it works almost instantly. It certainly makes the water safe for fish and water plants.

In addition, from an article:

"Since chlorine is used to kill microbes, will it also harm the microbes living in soil or compost piles?

Chlorine tends to bind to clay particles and once it does this, it is much less toxic to microbes. Soil and compost piles contain huge amounts of microbes. When the water initially hits, it will kill some microbes, but they quickly repopulate. Any effect that does occur is short lived.

“In one study, researchers continuously applied highly chlorinated water to soil for 126 days. Two days after they stopped, the soil microorganism populations reached pre-treatment levels at all depths of soil.”

This is just one example of how quickly microbes grow in soil and why adding things like biostimulants, humic acids and mycorrhizal fungi have no effect."

So basically, in soil grows chlorine or chloramine will have no effect. It has been suggested that it could affect hydroponic/coc grows, but no reseach I could find has confirmed this.

Chlorine and chloramine are different. Chloramine don't evaporate, you can't boil it out, it takes a catalytic carbon filter...or vitamin C
This ^^^ Vitamin C powder and I always ran my tap water thru a carbon filter or 2. Vitamic C is ascorbic acid so it will change your water pH so you need to test pH. You wont need a lot of vitamin C.

Get it in powder form its WAY cheaper (organic too) it will last a long time as well.

I don't think the amount is critical a few mg over can't do any harm. I just grind up my tabs and use about 1/8th of it per 5gallon bucket. but I bet I could use a bit more without any adverse reactions

20210621_103525.jpg

Try going to your local tropical fish store. Chlorine and Chloramine are both toxic to fish, you can buy chlorine and chloramine nuetralizer (seperate products). Usually a drop to a gallon. It's cheap and it works almost instantly. It certainly makes the water safe for fish and water plants.

In addition, from an article:

"Since chlorine is used to kill microbes, will it also harm the microbes living in soil or compost piles?

Chlorine tends to bind to clay particles and once it does this, it is much less toxic to microbes. Soil and compost piles contain huge amounts of microbes. When the water initially hits, it will kill some microbes, but they quickly repopulate. Any effect that does occur is short lived.

“In one study, researchers continuously applied highly chlorinated water to soil for 126 days. Two days after they stopped, the soil microorganism populations reached pre-treatment levels at all depths of soil.”

This is just one example of how quickly microbes grow in soil and why adding things like biostimulants, humic acids and mycorrhizal fungi have no effect."

So basically, in soil grows chlorine or chloramine will have no effect. It has been suggested that it could affect hydroponic/coc grows, but no reseach I could find has confirmed this.

That is a super interesting study, if true it goes to show how little humans actually understand these concepts and instead we revert to what feels good, familiar or makes sense to us - which is compost teas and supplements dispensing armies of microorganisms.

There is product at the tropical fish stores called Prime which takes care of both the Chlorine and the Chloramine. The recommended dosage is 5ml per 50 gallons of water so about 1ml to a 5 gallon bucket. Yep, pretty much instantly. Also does some nitrate removal from the water in the tank which helps in healthier fish. Plus the company adds something that helps with the slime coating on the fish.

In the long run though I think that it is easier to get the Vitamin C tablets or powder. A more natural product that way without the extras that tropical fish products have in them. And I think that Vitamin C tabs or powder would be a lot cheaper for those watching their budget.

That is a super interesting study, if true it goes to show how little humans actually understand these concepts and instead we revert to what feels good, familiar or makes sense to us - which is compost teas and supplements dispensing armies of microorganisms.

Honestly, growers are like fishermen and hunters, we'll buy anything if we think it will help our success. I'd say that at least 50% of the supplements, special fertilizers, teas, acids, are little more than snake oil, with good marketing. I'm an avid duck hunter and you can't believe some of the things people buy that are supossed to improve your success.

Back
Top Bottom