Can you clone a first time clone?

druz

420 Member
Hello, I failed to grow a mother but have a clone of her(actually several) can I make one of them a mother and just clone off of her? will it change the strength or anything??
first timer
thanks ahead of time

Yes you can, i"m currently on a 4th generation Blue Widow doing it that way, doesn't change anything far as strength or anything that I can tell (think it one of them "wive's tales" personally).

Not sure what all will change and how long it will take to do it. But change it will. Plant vigor will slow over time. 3 or 4 times is not where the problem is. Its the generational thing where the problems arrive. This info was compiled by people that keep mother plants for extended periods. Not sure what the oldest mother plants are but I'm guessing its in the 10 or 20 year range. That is when it really matters. So it is not a "Wives Tale". Just because it does not effect some growers does not make it untrue. If you want to keep a strain longer then just a couple years I would heed their advise.

I have a perpetual grow and just take cuttings of my plants around the time I move them from veg into flowering. Then by the time the flowering ones are harvested, the plants from cuttings are large and ready to take cuttings from and put into flower. And repeat... I keep switching strains and changing things around so haven't retained all of them, but the oldest plant I have at the moment is Pineaple Chunk which I've run for four years. It just seems the same as it did four years ago.
ShiggityFlip was showing off a plant that was very old. More than twenty years I think. He had it in one of the POTM contests. And if I remembered right, he mentioned some famous plant that has been cloned since the 70's.

Not sure what all will change and how long it will take to do it. But change it will. Plant vigor will slow over time. 3 or 4 times is not where the problem is. Its the generational thing where the problems arrive. This info was compiled by people that keep mother plants for extended periods. Not sure what the oldest mother plants are but I'm guessing its in the 10 or 20 year range. That is when it really matters. So it is not a "Wives Tale". Just because it does not effect some growers does not make it untrue. If you want to keep a strain longer then just a couple years I would heed their advise.

Well keeping a Mother for 10 years may be different, but they were asking if Cloning the offspring of a Clone affects the strength. Which IMHO you could keep Cloning off a Clone of a Clone that was a Clone of a Clone, and not sure how that could affect the genetics or the strength or whatever. On my 5th generation of Clones off of a Blue Widow, will post if I ever see any difference in strength down the road, but imagine I will be dead before that happens ;):rofl:

I can't grow the same strain twice in a row so I'm sure I will never prove this right or wrong. I only use cloning for selfing and making seeds. Tolerance keeps me from being able to do that. Even with multiple strains per harvest I find myself bored and overly tolerant after a few months and need change.......................................... Hey Dwight on a different front tell me your thoughts on Purple Kush. I am planning a Double Sour purple Kush this next run. I plan to check out your journal but appreciate any after thoughts.

I can't grow the same strain twice in a row so I'm sure I will never prove this right or wrong. I only use cloning for selfing and making seeds. Tolerance keeps me from being able to do that. Even with multiple strains per harvest I find myself bored and overly tolerant after a few months and need change.......................................... Hey Dwight on a different front tell me your thoughts on Purple Kush. I am planning a Double Sour purple Kush this next run. I plan to check out your journal but appreciate any after thoughts.

The one I had put up a fight, but just may be a tougher one to grow (more advanced growers) as my skills not anywhere near "knowing what I'm doing" yet ;):rofl: , that or just sometimes one just gets a bad pheno/plant on a specific seed. So I don't have a lot to base that on as only tried the Purple Kush once so far and it was a tiny plant when it was all said and done.

I'm kind of a light weight still as I had quit toking for 25 years due to employment with random drug tests every month, that and I'm always seeing a Strain at the Dispensary that I want to try so I buy a G or an 1/8th even though I have it coming out my ears in reality based on how much I smoke (doubt I even go thru an oz a month), my adult Son tokes quite a bit so I trade him for doing my yard work that hurts my body (10 years in a Lumber Mill, so my hands/back/wrists/etc are messed up....10 minutes with a WeedEater and I can't feel my fingers for 3 hours, and when I feel them again I wish I couldn't ;):rofl: ) . So I change up what I'm smoking quit often, as currently have 7 different Strains in my own grown stash and another 6-7 Strains from the Dispensaries here in town, so I don't get bored or "tolerant" to any particular Strain as of yet.

Agreed.

After several cloning's vigor drops off.Make some seeds.It's fun and experiment starting fresh is good but yeah take several clones from whatever you have and record the results.....F1 vigor is what you want.Clone those!.....Peace everyone."Farming is easy when your plow is a pencil and the nearest field is 1000 miles away"...

Back
Top Bottom