CanadaBlue's First Grow And Show LED FFOF

CanadaBlue

420 Member
Hello all, this is actually my second grow ever but my first was about a decade ago and wasn't very noteworthy. I've had to re-learn and refresh most of what I learned last time and since I feel I'm much better prepared I consider this my first real grow.

White Widow x1
Purple Kush x2
M39xGDP x2 (free seeds from seller)

-Plants are Day 23 from poking out of soil, by their growth rate and number of days I'd say they're at the end of the first week of veg.
-Currently in 3 gl fabric pots with FFOF, started in 3.5" pots w/ generic Canadian Tire soil, uppotted at 17 days old (too soon I know)
-Nutrients (barely used any) are Advanced Nutrients Connoisseur 2 part (local grow shop owner rec.)
-LED lights are 2 "1200 W" full spectrum from Amazon, actual draw is 225w each, 28" height (light meter is en route to see if light is sufficient)
-Grow tent is 5'x5'6'6"
-Temperature with lights on 24°-25°C (75°-77°F) and lights off 21°C (70°F)
-Humidity fluctuates 45-58%
-1 fan in the tent, a filtered exhaust fan which hasn't been used yet, 1 "fresh air" duct that's just open to the room the tent sits in, as it's far to cold to run outside currently (it was in the -30°s C just last week)
-Water was straight RO for first 10 days, I used 1/4 strength nutes every 6 days or so until I uppotted to the FFOF, I don't think they like the straight RO water. Since they've been in the FFOF I've used half RO and half tap water that has sat for a couple days to evaporate the chlorine. Tap water is hard, high in Cal and Mg, 215 ppm. When mixed half and half it sat at 125 ppm. Ph is high, around 7, I'm getting some ph down this week
-No pests or mold
-Plants are very short, about 5-6", I raised the lights hoping to induce some stretching

I've enjoyed growing these plants so far and hope they turn out okay, it'd be nice to get 2-3 ounces per plant. I welcome all advice and criticisms, I just want to learn more and grow healthy plants.

That light may be enough for a corner of your tent. The lights on Amazon, and eBay vary wildly in the quality and quantity of light they put out. A good rule of thumb is at least 30W/sq ft of canopy. My first light was a King X6 Dimmable 1800W COB LED Grow Light that only draws 300W from the wall, for a 2' x 4' tent. It was barely enough at maximum output.

Plants look good as they get bigger you may want to add more light my grow space is similar to yours 4'x'5'x7'
and I have 600 watts of cob lighting and I am growing some nice sized plants you can stop by my journal and check it out
I try not to post pictures in other journals.

Lookin' Good! I'll follow along for sure.

If you absolutely need to lower that ph before you can get your ph down solution, you can use lemon juice as a safe, natural alternative.

As mentioned previously, not all LEDs are created equally. Check out the Growlights section, to find some great info. If you want 2-3oz per plant, you'll want to upgrade soon. Of course, topping and training those branches will help achieve those numbers as well.

Keep up the good work!

I'm looking at the Mars Hydro Reflector 720W to add to my tent. It's within my budget, actual wattage is 317 +/-, so added to my two 225W lights I currenly have that should give me around 767W in a 5'x5' tent, 30.68W/sq.ft.

Bare minimum really, but that should help until I can budget for even more light. For the same price is a Viparspectra 900W at 405W consumption, but I've heard better things about Mars lights. What do you think?

I've heard Mars, had a pretty decent product line at one point. I came across the name alot while I was researching LEDs.

Try typing into the search bar here, and look for some grow journals that used them. Seeing the real results can help you decide, that's what sealed the deal for me with my lights.

I too will follow along if I may. My Canada legal 4 are 2 purple Kush, 1 WW and 1 Chocolope. Your plants are 1 day ahead of mine. I have mine is FFOF as well but were germinated in peat pucks then transplanted to another couple peat pucks and a cardboard jiffy cup. Your light draw is 450w while my DIY quantum board is 610. Best advice I can give you Build my own quantum light cheap And if you have time. My journal. First Grow, First Journal & Hoping For First Harvest If you want to know where I sourced stuff. Give me a shout. Regards Ed

I too will follow along if I may. My Canada legal 4 are 2 purple Kush, 1 WW and 1 Chocolope. Your plants are 1 day ahead of mine. I have mine is FFOF as well but were germinated in peat pucks then transplanted to another couple peat pucks and a cardboard jiffy cup. Your light draw is 450w while my DIY quantum board is 610. Best advice I can give you Build my own quantum light cheap And if you have time. My journal. First Grow, First Journal & Hoping For First Harvest If you want to know where I sourced stuff. Give me a shout. Regards Ed

Your girls are definitely looking bigger than mine! I also started mine in peat pucks, then into the 3.5", then into the 3 gl. Your light looks great and obviously the plants are responding to it, however I personally have zero interest in building my own lights. I've never been good with electrical and would rather not risk any sort of fire or shorting issues, or being without a light because it stopped working and I don't know why haha.

I'm looking at several options right now, adding another bigger light, or maybe shrinking my tent down from a 5'x5' as it may be a little bigger than I need. As of right now the plants are still growing well, I put some stakes in the soil level with the highest leaf of each plant and have seen 1/4" to 1/2" growth in the last 8-9 hours which I'm happy about. I think these lights will be fine for veg but I will definitely need more W/sq. ft before flower.

Glad I saw you post in cphil's journal so I could find yours! Pulling up a chair if you've got room for more gawkers. :p

Great to have you! I looked at your current auto grow journal and wow! Those are some beautiful looking plants, each one has its own unique look and characteristics it's crazy! So much information to absorb as well, I will roll one up and watch your grow too :blunt:

Back
Top Bottom