Cannabis is too complex!

This is an interesting topic.

I dont think about this, but now I am.....and I really dont care much. Maybe I havent been in the trade long enough to wish for it to be different than it is.

Human being have been evolving for years. We are much more complex now than ever before.

I believe that our environment is a reflection of pur inner state of life, therefore, the longing for an original un modified version of our medication is really a longing for our true selves.

Peace.

I hope this isnt too weird.

I think weed is only as complicated as we make it.

I am an ocd grower when I grow hydro so that can get a bit intense at times.
No point doing full hydro if you're not gonna take it seriously though. Won't get the full benefits of it.

When I grow Coco hand watering though I don't even measure my nutes anymore. A glug of this, a splash of that.
I know close enough whats there and I drench them every day so don't get any build ups or that.
Im carefull with seedlings but once the 3rd or 4th node is in I stop bothering.

Been experimenting with not ph'ing the nutes in Coco aswell.
Not something id ever recommend .....
But....
It works.. for me anyway.
Im using growth technology hydro nutes. It says on the site that they're pH stable so though fuck it. I'll try it and see what happens.
This is my second time doing it.
pH is 6.5ish for veg, 7ish for bloom.
ive fucked my current grow from a light timer malfunction but its been working remarkably well. Haven't even needed calmag while they've been in veg. Even the ones under blurples.
I don't pretend to know why it works.
Im well aware my plants should be ruined by now but for some reason it's just working out.
Something I plan to do some propper recorded experimentation on .
these are probably the world's cheapest, simplest, liquid , hydro nutes and they are working way better than I'd hoped for.
got 2 autos in an NFT Res just now so we'll see what they can do without the pot soon enough :)

Im in no way affiliated with the company, nor am I sponsored by them. Just doing some experiments :)

As with anything there are probably going to be unseen problems. What we are growing for smoke is vastly different from what they would grow to produce help products like rope fabrics etc. As legalization grows there is going to be cross pollination between the 2 types affecting both. How this will change things we have to wait and see.

Fertilizer brings up a good point. Most things humans try and change for the better they screw up. Trust me even knowing this fact people will still do it. Everyone feels they are smarter than the guy before. Just wait till bigger business gets involved and we get genetically altered strains.

I think big business it’s already involved, behind the scenes anyway-and the seeds of the future are already sown for future generations. A sad state as we know it today. But on the up side I won’t b around to see it happen.

The strains ( unmolested ) by man are still in existence today 3th world countries around the world are still doing it old school, without any help from modernization or chemicals, just a bit of fertilizer,sun,and H20. The One thing I hope (dreamer) is that somewhere there’s fields of the best unmolested weed yet to b discovered by modern man, if I found it I wouldn’t tell a sole,would u?
Thats part of what I was trying to say, thank you for articulating it. I wouldnt tell anyone haha I'd do the best I knew how to do. I wonder, though, and not to dismantle your dreams lol, I wonder if there ARE any unmolested fields of green left...i bet theres a few left out there in the Amazon, in the Alpine regions maybe, or even like the steppelands of Eurasia. Never know.

Let's all reset, smoke a bowl, chill and look at the bigger picture.

I think one of the places this conversation would have gotten to earlier if it'd gone a bit smoother, is how hybridization might affect wild populations of cannabis and whether all our modern "progress" is really a good thing for us and the plant.

Some would say that humans have far too much hubris, and I would agree at the risk of sounding misanthropic. It's kind of like when a kid takes something apart to figure out how it works, and then puts it together again all proud of themselves, never realizing said thing doesn't quite work the way it should ever again. The kid goes on feeling proud in his ability to reverse engineer and re-engineer, and the analogy works pretty well for the are influence our environment. There's no shortage of folly to point out, but just two words can sum it up: Cane toad. Long story short, a lot of the times when we think we've got nature all figured out, and try to exact our brilliant solutions, we only end up making things much worse. It's like the lyric in that Blue Oyster Cult song, "History shows us again and again how nature points out the folly of man."

I think the big threat in a nutshell is that this "Bigger, faster, stronger," type of breeding programs we have in domestication is going to spill-over and supplant wild populations of cannabis. That may be a problem because while we may think that what we're breeding is, "Bigger, faster, stronger," it may actually be also be, "Weaker against this pathogen, insanely susceptible to pests, and carrying a genetic mutation." If you want to look up a handy example of how nature has punked out humanity's complexity in that vein, look up "The Texas Strain".

I think there's a very strong argument to be made that our advanced knowledge of cannabis may not be serving us as much as we think it is, and may be threatening the survival of the plant as we know it. You have to take into consideration the ancient history of cannabis, because all of this modern complexity is really a flash in the pan compared to the thousands of years that we've been using and growing it in simpler ways. We may owe the existence of cannabis to wiser, more prudent cultures that knew to preserve it rather than exploit it relentlessly.

On the other hand, just understanding and saying all of this ( as a lay person ) is the result of a lot of advanced scientific knowledge we've acquired concerning the environment in general. Not to turn this into a climate-change type discussion, but if we could learn how to be a little more responsible with things, we could actually use this knowledge to ensure the preservation of cannabis in the wild. If we stop and think now before we go "industrial" with it, we might be able to avoid another folly.

In my opinion as it stands now, we're really poised for another. Large corporations don't have a strong interest in the environment or securing cannabis within it, and if something like a Texas-Strain scenario happens with cannabis it's going to be the corporate entities and their industrialization of cannabis that spurs it. I think that's why there's so much animosity against modern scientific progress surrounding cannabis, because the agenda behind it isn't really the one that's going to ensure its free existence for mankind, but rather is the one more likely to monopolize it into a monoculture and threaten its existence in the wild.

Now to undercut the seriousness of this diatribe I offer another pop-culture quote: With great power, comes great responsibility. I agree that we have more knowledge and scientific understanding of cannabis that we've ever had before as a civilization ( at least to our current level of knowledge ) but are we really using that understanding for good?

To me this is the big picture: Has this knowledge done more to ensure the free existence of cannabis for human consumption world-wide, or done more to threaten that?
Thank You kindly for your articulation of several great points. I thoroughly agree that, holistically speaking, the evolution of our relationship with Cannabis has changed us, the Cannabis, and the perceptions surrounding it. You latched onto my main point in your conclusion. I wanted to question where the evolutionary trend would end up in terms of humans' ability to deal with & alter cannabis, as well as the overall shift in the nature of the cannabis itself, both while questioning the ethical and moral dilemmas in which we might find ourselves as a result over time. Thats a part of what I meant.

I dont have time to respond fully atm, but I'll come back when I'm finished. Good post!

Like someone stated wouldn't we just have hairloom strains in different areas? Mother nature with animals and all would "super crop" or various other damages from animals would cause it to grow a certain. Way. Different areas in the world would still have their crops because of the soils and environments. Or those pocket areas where the soils mix perfectly and have some outstanding strains.

I wonder how cannabis would be naturally growing by the sea in areas where natural oxygen would occur like a bubbler or maybe a pocket area somewhere in the earths crust that has cannabis growing. Imagine light refraction's from crystals illuminating cannabiso_O

Like someone stated wouldn't we just have hairloom strains in different areas? Mother nature with animals and all would "super crop" or various other damages from animals would cause it to grow a certain. Way. Different areas in the world would still have their crops because of the soils and environments. Or those pocket areas where the soils mix perfectly and have some outstanding strains.

I wonder how cannabis would be naturally growing by the sea in areas where natural oxygen would occur like a bubbler or maybe a pocket area somewhere in the earths crust that has cannabis growing. Imagine light refraction's from crystals illuminating cannabiso_O
Haha nice hypothetical. Like, u mean a chasm or crack in the crust where mineralized water bubbling with co2 and 02 would create a perfect environment? That'd be dope.

Haha nice hypothetical. Like, u mean a chasm or crack in the crust where mineralized water bubbling with co2 and 02 would create a perfect environment? That'd be dope.
yes.

I see a future where Craft growers maintain the plants we love. I am against the corporate mind set, they are in it for the money. There are those of us that are in it for the joy and medical value it brings, and want to preserve the land race strains for future generations we are after all the outlaws who have brought it mainstream, and as such need to fight against the big corporations just as the craft brewers have done.

I think there's some confusion as to why growers are constantly tweaking recipes and trying out new things.

First, cannabis for being so famous is grossly understudied and we don't really know for sure where its 100% peak efficiency is at. We don't know for sure what it needs, so we cant just say "do this, this and this" and it will express at its full potential like they can do with corn and soy beans. The Dutch have the best studies on cannabis IMHO but science isn't close to what it should be world-wide and cannabis is a big family....lots of genetics. Its also a very complex plant, as you eluded to in the title....so many cannabinoids make a unique recipe for each strain.

Lastly, things like stress training and sea of green are just trying to optimize the potential (typically indoors) of a harvest due to the fact that they have so few plants, restricted space, limited lighting, etc. If you could just plant a field wherever for a few bucks it really wouldn't matter much and you sure wouldn't take the time out for such things. Indoors (even with massive greenhouses) it does start to matter, you need to squeeze out every little trichome from those lights and nutrients. Hobbyists also just enjoy trying new things which is where most of these techniques came from.

I was stationed in HAWAII in the mid 70's (Army) and thats the time when everything had to go INDOORS,
WAR ON DRUGS had started. They would have us fly around in Huey's (helicopter) spotting the grows

Anyway my point is I believe thats when it got more complex, Hoping with the new legalization things
can relax a bit and maybe move back OUT DOORS again

:nomo:...

In regards to the title of this thread, and therefore it’s theme: “cannabis is too complex!”

Too complex? I disagree. Is it complex enough to confound the habits of research and practice espoused by modern western medicine? It absolutely is.
Complex enough to be able to be grown in a multitude of ways for a multitude of purposes by a multitude of people with a multitude of skill levels? Also absolutely it is!
It’s just complex enough to suit modern humans in a multitude of ways. So, IMO cannabis is not “too complex”.
:Namaste:

We are on the front lines of the research.
Genetics, nutrients, training, thc extraction,and the multitude of other things
that the folks on here practice and learn is probably light years ahead of any "official" research
into this weed we all use in one way or another.
As long as it's considered a schedule 1 drug, there will never be any "leaps and bounds"
research done by anyone but us grower/users...
And the fact that we do it because we want to will ensure that the research continues.
The effects can be complex,but the plant is just a weed...the most useful weed on earth,but still... a weed.

Back
Top Bottom