Cannabis Life & Times Of BTzGrow

I have always had great luck germinating. I don't do anything fancy at all. Soak overnight then in a paper towel till they pop, them right into Fox Farm soil.

As long as you have been germinating seeds you should have it down by now. I would guess it is the genetics or the seeds.

I have always had great luck germinating. I don't do anything fancy at all. Soak overnight then in a paper towel till they pop, them right into Fox Farm soil.

As long as you have been germinating seeds you should have it down by now. I would guess it is the genetics or the seeds.
Perhaps that's part of the problem. I have been letting them soak longer and when they pop put them in the grow media. I used the paper towel process earlier on and had better results consistently. Seems to me they are the same. I guess not?

I believe most germinations fail from the grower not paying enough attention to temperature. It’s very important. You have a seed mat, right?

:hippy:

The only mat I have increase the temperature 20degrees F above ambient. I think that would be too hot in my world of 78F in the house.

The only mat I have increase the temperature 20degrees F above ambient. I think that would be too hot in my world of 78F in the house.

I bought one of those heating mats when I was growing in a colder environment. Used it once lol. I agree that using it with temps at 78F would be useless. Even in the cold temps I found things worked better without it. As weird as it sounds, all the new things I have tried to make starting seeds better. Have not did that. Maybe they just like roughing it. I don't even soak in a cup for the first 12 hours. I place the seeds in the paper towel and flood the plate for the first night. The next morning I drain the excess, then press out some of the excess water out of the paper towel. I have been getting 95 to 100% success with that method.

I bought one of those heating mats when I was growing in a colder environment. Used it once lol. I agree that using it with temps at 78F would be useless. Even in the cold temps I found things worked better without it. As weird as it sounds, all the new things I have tried to make starting seeds better. Have not did that. Maybe they just like roughing it. I don't even soak in a cup for the first 12 hours. I place the seeds in the paper towel and flood the plate for the first night. The next morning I drain the excess, then press out some of the excess water out of the paper towel. I have been getting 95 to 100% success with that method.
Funny you should mention all of these things. I've had similar experiences. I like the pressing the excess water out idea. I will do that in the morning. Perhaps it provides a little more oxygen to the seeds instead of completely drowning them.

I've had one seed crack and show a tiny tap so I placed in a moist Root Riot inside a small domed propagation tray. Still waiting on the other two. At least in the moment they haven't gone black for the soaking and moisture. That seems to be a common thread with the seeds that fail.

A mat with a thermostat? Is it internal or adjustable?
It sits between the outlet and the plug for the mat, and comes with a sensor. You can adjust the temperature (I have mine at 80ºF), and where you put the sensor will make a huge difference!

At Amazon:
VIVOSUN Digital Heat Mat Thermostat Temperature Controller 40–108 ºF for Seedlings, Germination, Rooting, Fermentation and Reptiles

I have a thermostatic switch as you describe that i have used with my tent to control the little reptile heater I have used in the past. Great idea. Now where did I put that in the move. Damn It

I dropped three Super Lemon Haze (SLH) seeds yesterday morning in the early AM. Yesterday evening I poured them out of the little cup onto a paper towel with the water they were soaking in. I had mixed some RO water with a tiniest amount of H2O2. Perhaps 1ml of 12% Hydrogen Peroxide to about 70ml water This morning two of he three had produced tap roots that were at least a 1/2inch perhaps a bit more. Into the root riot they went before 9am. The third hasn't cracked yet as of a few minutes ago when I checked.

Once the seeds produce a green sprout I will start a new Grow Journal for these Fem's SLH. If I only have two that will be a bit more room in the grow tent.

The SLH seeds have always been fast to crack in the past so I'm hesitant to confirm the H202 had anything to do with it. I remember the first couple I germinated took off very quickly also.

Here's the action about 10hrs after putting in the RR's

The third seed cracked something today after I checked it this morning and also pushed out well over a 1/2in tap. I placed it in a root riot also and into the small propagation tray in the window.

The other two kept pushing their taps upward. I had put them into the RR's pointy end up with the tap pointing to the sky as I feel brother @FelipeBlu has suggested. I have do it before with success. This time the cotyledons were actually still inside and not popping up. I "gently" turned them around and the husk came of in the process. One is quickly recovering and pushing skyward. Figers crossed for the other one. I guess this is the most critical stage in the beginning.

I’m not sure what the orientation should be in your RRs. My suggestion to position seeds pointy end down/hinge up was based on my experience in soil. Perlite hempy doesn’t work out every time - probably due to how lightweight the perlite is.

The rooters I bought have a ~1/4” hole that goes down ~3/4”. I positioned my latest cracked seeds pointy end down/hinge up. I didn’t think there was enough room for the root to make the turn from going up to going down, if the pointy end was up. What happened was that the root went straight down and the husk was pushed up and out of the hole. In the process, the husk was dragged against the walls of the hole and loosened up enough that it just fell off.

Introducing the new Lemon Sisters.
From left to right #1 will be Stella, #2 will be Sally, and #3 Suzi. Suzi had some issues with shedding her husk until this afternoon but I'm expect good things from her as well. Right now they are spending some open air time in front of a kitchen window with Buddha looking on and giving blessings.

I'll move them into the larger domed propagation tray later today after some more drops of water. As fast as they are moving they may need to be in the buckets by the end of the weekend. I still like to wait until plenty of roots are popping out of the Root Riots.

Back
Top Bottom