Carbon filters?

Draz

Hey guys,
I have grown before a few times, but never used one..I have never needed one really, I lived in the country and lived down a little private road with 3 cottages down it, and all of us were users..

However, I have since moved.. and am now in close proximity to other other people who may or may not use ( I know one neighbour does, but still..) Also I now live right on a road that many people use to get to and from school with their kids.. So I am growing indoors.. the first grow I done at this address was with some bagseeds, it was pretty nice weed and the plants grew nicely.. they did however stink the place out long before I even started flowering them..they were grown in my closet with cfl..

So this time, I am chosing to grow with a tent and the full shabang.. Now I have gotten to chosing a carbon filter, and it seems there are many sizes and many makes.. some are fairly cheap and some over 100 pounds.

Which brings me to my question..

Is there really any difference between them.? I mean they all seem to be pretty uniform in design. So can there really be that much difference in them..?

Any input would be much appreciated..:)

Many thanks in advance :)

Re: Carbon filters..?

The most important thing to consider when getting a fan/filter is CFM. If your grow area is 100 cubic feet. Then you would want a fan that is about 300 CFM. That will more than cover your needs. You can then easily use a speed controller to adjust the speed to fine tune your temps.

The other thing you want to think about is how you are going to route your vents/cool tube/filter etc.

I would place the fan so it sucks air in through the filter. Then blows that filtered air through your cool tube and out the side of the tent. That way, if there are leaks in your vent tube or cool tube, you won't be sucking smelly air out of your tent and sticking the place up.

I got a normal carbon filter complete setup from my local grow shop for 60Euro. They r all made in China , and almost all r gonna be Ware B (same class) Keep in mind its just an outtake fan connected to a filter. My local grow shop guy tried to sell me some 150Euro setup . I was like Dude its just a fan and coil pack with a damn carbon filter NO i dont want the other exact same thing that has a digital screen or some other bullshit on there for 100Euro more . :)
Hope this helps :p

Go with Rhino filter mate. They are pricey but they absolutely work. They are high grade carbon and not chinese snides. How big is ur grow room and i can advise on size.

I dont agree with pushing air through cooltubes its much less efficient. u can seal ur cooltubes so there are no leaks. Carbon filter, cooltube(s), fan, outake. PM me if u'd like, i have well over a 100 grows behind me, nearer 200 i think and i know what im talking about. Also a T-piece in ur duct with jar of ona gel in works a treat too.

He's right .... it is less efficient. But, as long as you have enough CFM it's not an issue. Plus, you don't have to worry about leaks or smell. I have more than enough CFM to overcome any loss of efficiency.

I currently have three plants in my grow box. You can stand right outside my box and stick your nose up to the exhaust vent on the side (where the air gets pushed out of the box). You can't even smell a hint of marijuana.

well i agree to disagree, but then i grow more than 3 plants lol. Wen u are running multiple lights pushing air isnt good enough, unless u using turbines. To be fair it depends on scale of grow. But i have rooms with 100+ plants in and u cant smell anything outside the door. Just depends on what u willing to spend and where u are willing to compromise. In my opinion it always best to run rooms in the cleanest, most efficient way possible whilst getting the job done without fear of detection.

Once again, I agree with what you are saying. But, you are speaking of large rooms with multiple lights and 100's of plants. Draz is not growing 100s of plants in an openn room. He's growing in a tent, and I assume he is only running one light.

I would also vent a large room differently. Don't get me wrong .... I'm not arguing with ya.

We use the cheap ones from fleabay and keep a spare around that we refill ourselves with good carbon.

Thanks all for the replies.. :) Its much apprecited and I have taken it all on board..

I do have another couple of questions linked ot this though if thats ok..

Info first though.. :) I am using a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2 meter Tent with 1 x 600 watt HPS.. So I intend to buy a cooltube..

Some websites say a 5 inch one is ok for 600watt HPS and others say I need a 6 inch.. Now the actual cooltubes are no differnt in price.. But the fans that attach to them are about 20 pounds difference..

I intend to run the Carbonfilter and Cooltube off of the same fan and ofc use alength of ducting to then send it out the tent, I will use passive intake to start with.. If it isnt up to the job I will add another fan for active intake later..(I may do that anyway when funds permit me to)..

So Do I need a 5 inch or a 6inch fan and CT ?

Last question.. Its fan related.. The makes of fans.. Which ones do I need to stay away from, and which ones will be good for the job..?

I have seen many makes out there on various hydro websites.. and they vary in price form 15 pounds upwards..

The makes I have seen that seem to be reasonably priced and seem to have an ok rep are the TT fans and the RVK ones.. please correct me if I am wrong.. Basically I want to spend the minimum I 'need' to spend..:)

Go with the 6 inch cool tube. You can buy a 4 inch fan and a 6 inch fan. But, good luck finding a 5 inch fan. So, unless you want to deal with reducers and stuff (just more crap to buy) I would go with a 6 inch fan. That way it all mounts together with no need for reducers. Most fans are about the same. Try to stay with a fan that has a decent warranty and sealed bearings would be preferable.

I run a 600w in a 6 inch cool tube with a 6 inch fan. My space is 3' x 4' x 6' tall and thise setup keeps the temps as low as I want. No heat issues at all. And, I don't need to run my fan at 100% .... I use a speed controller to run my fan at 30% and it stays way cool. I'm sure I'll have to run the fan a little faster in the summer.

Yeah go with the 6in. U can put 600 in the 5in but u'll get more light spread with 6in and it eaier to cool. I nearly always use passive intake, even i large rooms. Only buy an intake fan if absolutely necessary. Depending on ur budget theres alot out there. At the higher end u could go for the super silent and powerful airforce fans, i have many of them in diff sizes and they work effortlessly and dont hear a whisper. U'd be looking at a couple hundred quid for a 6in one. RVK are sound, they industrial and run forever, if its achoice between that and tt go for rvk. They arent silent though so u need to bare that in mind, Accoustic ducting will help that a little though. Def go for rhino filter mate, u'll regret it if u go for cheap immitation then will have to spend money on ona blocks and gels which arent cheap. U looking at about 100 quid for 6in small rhino or 120 for large 6in (i recommend this if it fits in ur tent). good luck.

I agree with cultivator. You should only need an exhaust fan. If you has enough CFM, it will create a negative pressure inside your room/box/tent and will suck in whatever fresh air it needs (that's how mine works, I have vents at the bottom to allow air in). This should be more than sufficient to exchange the air as long as you have a way for it to get in. If you use an intake fan, you run the possibility of creating a positive pressure inside your grow area. When this happens, you tend to push air out through any crack or leak. Which, pushes smell out into the area around your grow. This bypasses your filter and makes it useless.

Back
Top Bottom