Carloke's First Grow - LED - Small Closet Grow - Autoflower - Pakistan Ryder

Carloke

Hi All,

I finally started my first ever grow a week ago after much reading on the 420 forums (so, thank you all!). I am an absolute beginner, so any tips and (constructive) criticism is welcome as this is all a learning experience for me! This is a very small grow starting off, just one plant. Details below...

Medium: Canna Terra Professional
Lights: 1 x 300w LED (given to me by a friend - I understand it may be excessive)
Nutrients: Canna Flora
Strain: Pakistan Ryder Feminised Autoflower
No. of Plants: 1
Bucket Size: Under 10L
Light Cycle: 18/6

In addition to the above, stealth isn't paramount, but I'd prefer not to stink the house out so I've attached a carbon filter and intake tube into the top of the tent. As it's one small plant, I don't have an intake fan; I just leave the vent open at the bottom. I also have a small fan to circulate the air. I'm keeping the intake fan on 24/7 to keep a steady flow of air and keeping the ciruculation fan on the same cycle as the LED (18/6).

I started only a week ago and realised after the seed had sprouted that you're not supposed to transplant autos... Considering it was in only a TINY plant pot I figured I had better do it quickly and as gently as possible - hopefully I haven't shot myself in the foot so early!

I'll post photos below, please shoot with any queries on anything, as I'm sure there'll be things that I may have missed!

P&L,

Carloke

:Namaste:

SAM_25241.JPG
SAM_25251.JPG
SAM_25261.JPG
IMG_380010.JPG
IMG_38135.JPG
IMG_38147.JPG
SAM_2529.JPG
IMG_38166.JPG
SAM_2530.JPG
SAM_2531.JPG
SAM_2527.JPG

Thanks!

I originally had my tent in my loft of my house (I live in the UK), but at night time it was far too cold and only the Pakistan Ryder came out the soil. The other three were two Delhi Cheese seeds and a California Reaper Chili seed (I like hot food!). I've since had to move it. Not that it's a problem as I only wanted to try with one plant starting off.

Thanks man. Still early days.

Oh really. As she's a auto flower so I'm only going to add nutes when she starts to flower.

Ahh similar set up. My friend was under the impression that it's 400w (100w per light), but the label said 300w. I'll upload it when I get the opportunity.

Is yours your first grow? How far along are they now? I'd be chuffed to even get half Oz yield as its my first attempt!

It should say on the light what the max voltage is with the percentage of variance! First real grow ( leaving bag seeds to fend for themselves in the forest doesn't really count haha) , the pics you saw were very recent so no updates. My nutes should get delivered tommorow so hopefully my buds start packing on the weight! People keep asking what I think I'm going to yeild but as it's my first grow, and I'm just focused on HAVING an end product lol I like the auto flowers though! Next run I'm going to use auto flowers with a photo strain so I get some early rewards (hopefully lol)

Thanks - I'll take a look next time.

Ahh I see, so just ph'ed water so far with no nutes? Looks good for it still!

Haha, I've thought the same - I'd be happy with just making it to harvest as it's my first run!

That sounds a decent idea. What about light cycles though? I'm not sure about the effects of switching the light cycle for an autoflower as it apparently grows very well with the same light cycle throughout.

Thanks - I'll take a look next time.

Ahh I see, so just ph'ed water so far with no nutes? Looks good for it still!

Haha, I've thought the same - I'd be happy with just making it to harvest as it's my first run!

That sounds a decent idea. What about light cycles though? I'm not sure about the effects of switching the light cycle for an autoflower as it apparently grows very well with the same light cycle throughout.
I am pretty sure you will make it to harvest on your 1st go if you are patient and let the plant dictate what needs to happen when. And yes PH is a major important thing when it comes to growing MJ. If you do not pay attention to it, it will have you chasing all kinds of problems that do not really exist.

It should say on the light what the max voltage is with the percentage of variance! First real grow ( leaving bag seeds to fend for themselves in the forest doesn't really count haha) , the pics you saw were very recent so no updates. My nutes should get delivered tommorow so hopefully my buds start packing on the weight! People keep asking what I think I'm going to yeild but as it's my first grow, and I'm just focused on HAVING an end product lol I like the auto flowers though! Next run I'm going to use auto flowers with a photo strain so I get some early rewards (hopefully lol)

Hi JM - photo of my light - it is in fact 400w.

IMG_38346.JPG

Day 9

Quick update. My plant appears to have survived the transplant as I can see definite growth of the leaves and I can see the third set of leaves starting to form at the top. Despite that, she doesn't appear to be growing much in height? From what I've read, that isn't necessarily a problem as it's still relatively young...

The leaves appear to be drooping a little, I'm assuming this is from over-watering - which would make sense as when I transplanted her from her smaller pot, I may have over-compensated when attempting to 'moisten' the soil first... I'm going to miss watering her for a couple of days and see if the leaves return to their usual shape! As I'm on the subject of drainage, this has made me query the pot I'm using. It's ceramic and made to be used outdoors, but there is only one hole to allow water to pass through the bottom. The whole itself can't be more than 2cm in width - could this be an issue in the future?

P&L.

IMG_38298.JPG
IMG_38289.JPG
IMG_38337.JPG

Drooping can come from a lot of things, and I'm afraid I'm not much help since you're in soil, but with my hyrdros I see drooping when pH is starting to go off (followed by tacoing, curling, and then much worse stuff), when they've gotten out of the water somehow, when the humidity is too low (smaller plants only), when they have way too much air on them, or when they're too hot. Most of the time, it's pH related, though.

Wishing you the best of success on your first grow, and it looks like you're off to a great start!!

For soil plants, in general, pay attention to EmilYa's posts - she's the soil goddess IMHO, and for autos, in general, check out A-Train's threads - he has his feeding schedule down to a science for soil plants.

I have a quick question for you and a quick explanation to why I am asking.

Your picture with what you feel is drooping. Was it taken right after the lights came on? Plants will sometimes droop a little while the lights are out but normally about an hour after the lights have been back on they will stand up and get perky again. Your pictures look like healthy plants. She is very young and has a long way to go before her lifecycle is over, this is where you need to learn patience. Once her roots are established she will have a growth spurt.

A couple of quick questions which will help me to help you with your grow.
When your plant is as young as it it, you will want to keep the LED a bit further away then you normally would. I would suggest like 30 inches for a while till she starts growing. If you have her to close to the light you will stress her and it will slow her growth.
What kind of soil are you using? Did you mix anything into it, or are you using straight from the bag?
How are you testing the PH of your water? Do you have a PH meter or a PH test kit?
How long were you planning on growing her until you start feeding her nutrients?
What type of nutrients are you planning on using? Do you have a feeding schedule for them yet?
How often do you water them?
How do you know when to water?
While it is true that an auto will bud out on any lighting schedule I personally believe that plants, like any other living creature, needs to take a break and rest. I know that it is very tempting to run her 24/7 under lights but you will find she will be more responsive if you allow her a chance to rest each day. I have vegged plants at 18/6 and 24 and the 18/6 actually out preformed the 24 for growth and it was 25% cheaper on the electric bill.
Your plant looks just fine to meat least for now. Now the trick is not to love it to death..

Hi OG,

I just tried replying via PM but I haven't built up 50 messages to do so!

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to help me.

I'll try lifting the LED a bit higher - would this explain the stubbiness of the plant? It's growing very quickly now (almost as if I can watch it), but it's not getting particularly taller.

I'm using Canna Terra Professional Mix. Here's the link: CANNA Gardening CANADA

I'm using PH testing strips to test the PH of the water I'm feeding her. Which fluctuates between 6-7.

I've got Canna Flores nutrients to feed her once she starts flowering. I understand she may benefit from vegging nutes also, but as she's an auto I didn't think it was a necessity... The Flores nutes come with a feeding schedule, I believe it starts at approx. 1 tablespoon per litre and gradually increases until a couple weeks before harvest.

I normally wait to water her until the soil is dry to about an inch deep.

After much reading, I established that the best light schedule is 18/6 throughout, which is what I've kept her on thus far.

Again, thanks so much OG.

P&L,

Carloke

Drooping can come from a lot of things, and I'm afraid I'm not much help since you're in soil, but with my hyrdros I see drooping when pH is starting to go off (followed by tacoing, curling, and then much worse stuff), when they've gotten out of the water somehow, when the humidity is too low (smaller plants only), when they have way too much air on them, or when they're too hot. Most of the time, it's pH related, though.

Wishing you the best of success on your first grow, and it looks like you're off to a great start!!

For soil plants, in general, pay attention to EmilYa's posts - she's the soil goddess IMHO, and for autos, in general, check out A-Train's threads - he has his feeding schedule down to a science for soil plants.

Much appreciated, Growchick. I've heard a lot about the PH levels being the cause of a lot of issues so I'll keep an eye on it regularly.

Also, I'll check out EmilYa's posts.

Thanks again,

Carloke

Back
Top Bottom