Cfl - enough?

Re: cfl .. enough ??

i have 3 x 30w 2700k (117w) and 1 46w cfl all 2700k is this enough to flower a slh at 2 foot tall ?

If the grow space was approx a 2 square foot then that would be sufficient.

That said, the more light, the better during flowering.

:Namaste:

Isn't 3 x 30w CFL 90 watt? 117 watt would be the comparison?

yes each 30w is eqiv to 117w and the 46w is eqiv to 200w i think im not sure but its close i have a few pics in my gallary feel free to look

i also have a 250w 6500k cfl i was thinkin of putting them all together but dont kno if tha would be a bad or good thing as the blue spectrup would take over and dont kno if it will affect the bud growth so any tips on this would be greatful

more small lights are better than 1 big light. better light spread availible.
add the 250w.
its like saying a person who is on a high vitimin diet cant also be on a high protien diet.
more blues, more reds...and then some more of each! add as much as you can.

only 2 bad things are possible afaik. heat managment and putting out so many lumins that you bleach the plant, and you need some serious wattage to do that ;)

30w is eqiv to 117w and the 46w is eqiv to 200w

those numbers mean nothing to the plant. thats just marketing at its finest. what counts is light frequency and amount of lumins.

a 200 watts incandecant (the old lights the cfls are comparing themselves to) bulbs will do little more for the plant than burn it and cost you a hefty electric bill in the proccess.

i was thinking of adding it at the min thers 2 the church under the 250w 6500k flowering there doin ok for the first week am just comparing the growth under the diffrent light specs

s,l,h is under the 2700k lights and flowering looks better so i dont kno yet i might just leave them appart and buy a few more 30w'ers

yeah the 65k is for leaf growth, the 27k is for flowering, but with cfls you will find that they also make a small amount of the other.

it is actually possible to grow entirely under 27k but the plant suffers a lot of stretching, the point is tho, there is enough high end spectrum in there to do a little something.

thats why i was reccomending using ALL the lights all the time. this however would not be my advice if money wasnt an issue and you had dozens of both types of light availible.

well i think the slh is coming along nicely but not to sure as im new to growing this strain will post some pics of the second week flowering at the beggining of week 3 and so on hope fully i can get some advice if im goin wrong anywer

hi, im a cfl grower and asked a lot of questions as i want to get the best yield i can as cheap as possible so went with the cfls as i had shed loads of 2700kelvin cfls as i used to get them free from energy companies or out the paper so i only need to get the more expensive 6500k cfls for the veg cycle.

now the best lighting for using cfls is the 3 to 1 ratio, so for veg you would have 3 6500kelvin cfls and 1 2700kelvin cfl in the veg room, for flower it would be the opposite, so 3x 2700k cfls and 1 x 6500k cfls,

you can buy cfls in most wattages, how ever the best watt to get is the 23watt, as this has the highers watt to lumin ratio so 4 23watt cfls would give you more lumins(more light) than 1x 100watt cfl, so the more of the lower wattage ones you can get the better, and with cfls you can get the bulb very close to the plant, mine are within an inch or 2, but if you have loads of the lower wattage cfls then you can have a few above the plant then hang some around the sides of the plant, this helps increase growth during the veg and increase yield during flower cycle.

how ever one problem i came across was stunted growth, so keep an eye on this, my plants stopped growing at 6 inches and it was possibly down to the lights been to close to the plant, so if say for a week you have no upwards growth then raise the lights an inch till it grows again, i ended up with a plant that was 7inches high and that bushy that you couldnt see into the plant, so i had to tie leaves and cut some to get light into lower branches.

try and not cut many leaves off, less leaves the slower the plant will grow, with cfls the lumins are low and this drops off rapidly the further the lights are away from the plant, so bare this in mind, the best thing to do is get yourself a pack of pipe cleaners off amazon and use some lst and train either the whole plant, or do what i did and train the lower branches to grow in different directions so that the lights can get to every part of the plant, doing this will ensure you get the most from your plant, theirs loads of advice on my journal if you want to have a read,,

ill keep dropping in to see how things are going,

great journal so far

toolstation do them, their not listed in the light section though, if you look in the outdoor lighting and you will then see the floodlights that have cfl bulbs in them, the smaller floodlight has a 23watt 6500k cfl and it lists the part number, ill give you the number if you got toolstation near you, the only other option is amazon, thats where i been getting mine from

also how come we cant add comments to your grow gigabane, looking at your plant its had loads of stretch, you will struggle to get good yield using cfls unless you pack loads in, with the plant that big it should have flowered all ready.

the smaller of the 2 plants would be perfect size to switch to 12-12 with as it will double and possibly tripple in size, you really could of benefited from the 6500k bulbs, the plants have really stretched and would possibly struggle to get any big buds off them due to the distance between nodes, you should try and get the 6500k bulbs and take the 2700k bulbs out all together and let the plants bush out a bit, looks like its what they need,

amazing you got it that big though using the 2700k bulbs, it gives me an idea with mine, i was struggling with vertical growth and using only 6500k bulbs my plants just kept bushing out, so im gona add a load of 2700k bulbs and make and see if that gives the plants some stretch cuz i cud really do with it my plants are bushing out great but gaining very little height,

ive just switched to the glr method to increase growth, so instead of growing under 24 hours of continuos light im now using a method that has 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark, but to prevent it from switching to flower you add 1 hours worth of light during the off period, so its something like this 12-5.5-1-5.5 so 12 on 5.5 off, 1 on and 5.5 off,

what the glr method does is make the plant think its coming to the end of the season so it starts its stretch period as if it was going to flower, but by giving it the hours light in the dark period this stops the flower process and keeps it in veg, doing this makes it grow really fast and prevents the flowering, plus it cuts down the electric bill.

tomorrow when the lights are on im going to switch some cfls out and put some of the 2700kelving bulbs in and try and get some height on my plants.

@giga, how close did you have the lights to the top of the plant,?

that was my first grow, its an abandoned journal which is why you cant comment. i have put my 2nd (current) grow in my sig ;)

generally i kept my lights far enough away that i could fit my fist between them and the foliage.

my understanding has come a fair way since that grow, merely from the facts gained on this site mixing with my ways of thinking ;)

edit: ok bud, im off to bed right now. i did not sleep last night and spent the whole day at chessington adventure world with the kids, im totally knackered!!...(man that place sucks hard, i blew £200 there keeping the kids happy, they were even dragging(not in any way that could bring the police into it, but they did have big security guards ' assisting ') babies out of their buggies to check their height to see if they could squeeze more cash out of people, oh yeah and they tell you on your way out that you have to pay for your parking or you cant take your car!, not taking them there again, think euro disney is next)

my plants stayed short coz of the gap between the cfls and the plant it self it was about 2-3 inches away so there was no need for the plant to strech as the light was there already theres a few pics in my gallary feel free to look

hey sausage200723, see i thought that, but is the growth stunted due to the lights been so low or due to the 6500k bulbs been strictly that light range, ive added more 2700k bulbs at the moment, about 50-50 with 6500k and 2700k cfls to try and get some more height,

ill try and find your pics and have a look, so im trying the mixture of lights i got to try and gain some more height, failing that ill raise the lights again and see if the plants stretch up to the light, but im thinking that the further away the lights are the less lumins are reaching the plants so less growth, so the closer the light the more lumins the more growth, so does having less light cause stretch or does having the wrong type of light cause stunted growth, when my plants where under 6500k cfls i had small and bushy plants and only 7inches tall, so now iv mixed the bulbs up a bit and see if that makes any difference, i want to get my plants a foot tall before going into flower, but im also trying an experiment with seeds and putting them strait under 12-12 from day 1, so got a lot going on and not a lot of time to get it all done

my plants stayed short coz of the gap between the cfls and the plant it self it was about 2-3 inches away so there was no need for the plant to strech as the light

i know what caused my stretching, and i klnow what to do to prevent it ;)
we are talking about Stunted plants, i was explaining it wasnt because of 2700lk lights, weak or wrong lights cause stretching (long and thin instead of shortish and fat (
but im thinking that the further away the lights are the less lumins are reaching the plants so less growth
thats what i mean, think of it like vertical 50% girth and development 50%, but not enough light would probably mean 50% vertical 0-50% girth and development depending on how badly its hungry) they would not cause stunted growth (stunted being defined as shorter than expected for the species) it would cause stretch, thats why the lighting in donpaul.p's scenario is unlikely to be the cause.

also donpaul i would just like to point out the actual cause of stretch it 'not enough of the right light' not 'too much of the wrong light', so if you deliberatly want to cause stretch for whatever experimental reasons, you would reduce the amount of 6500k to trigger it, if they have enough of the growth light they need then there is nothing you can add that will starve them into stretch.

hope this clears everything up for everyone. and i sincerely appologise for my inability to explain it correctly the first time, not everyone who is good and gaining knowledge is good at teaching knowledge ;)
:morenutes:

distance from the plant and the light do have a main part in the stunted growth as they dont need to strech up the light is already there

the 6500k is more of a leaf development spectrum hence the short bushy plants

iv grown from seed always and have noticed a big strech when using 2700k all the way threw to using 6500k in the veg stage and 2700k for flowering , but then again every one has there own way of growing more this spec or more tha spec really its all about getting a rutine your happy with and smoke on..

thee only thing im thinking is, by me having the 6500k bulbs in as well am i gaining anything i mean are the 6500k bulbs going to stop the plant stretching so am i wasting my time adding the 2500k bulbs, i wont know for sure for a few days, but if i notice no difference then ill take the 6500k bulbs out for a few days as i want my plant a foot tall and at the moment its getting bushier and not taller, so if i have to do that then ill give that a try

im using a load of 30watt 6500 kelvin bulbs for veg as they have the best watt/lumin ratio, i think 23watt is the highest lumin ratio so got some of them as well, i was planning on just using just the 6500k cfls for veg and the 2700k cfls for flower, but i was getting stunted upward growth, bushy plant just little to none upward growth, im also using gas lantern routine and have changed to this from 24-0 because glr is meant to give the best growth and quickest return time, so ive gone with that for now,

reducing the amount of 6500ks would trigger stretching, thats the only reason to do it.
so am i wasting my time adding the 2500k bulbs

adding more light that the plant can use is never a waste of time for improving development, however if there is a choice, adding more 65k's is better than adding 27k'k as far as veg growth is concerned. its just way more efficent.

Back
Top Bottom