Clear Jelly Like Globules: Anyone See These Before?

Morda Grown

Ok, so on my walk today checking for pistols I found these jelly like round globules on one cannabis plant, tomato plant, and bean vine. Not something I have seen before... What could it be? The closest thing I found in my searches was Black Tail Butterfly eggs. We do have them fluttering about and many other butterfly's. It is a similar shape but Black Tail eggs are yellow, these are clear and turn cloudy. Could it be a butterfly egg?

All thoughts Welcome!

Cloudy one on Cannabis Leaf (Micro):
smalljellyglobulesMicro-01.jpg

Underside of leaf (Micro):
smalljellyglobulesMicro-01-2.jpg

Clear on Tomato Leaf (Micro):
smalljellyglobulesMicro-02.jpg

Close ups of both:
smalljellyglobules-01.jpg

smalljellyglobules-02.jpg

I checked and did not see any more on the MJ plants. I took the leafs, except the two in the photos, and destroyed them. I found 5 total between all the plants in the garden. I'm assuming it is some kind of egg.

If it wasn't on such a small leaf I may think tree frog. However they are usually put over water so when the tad pole hatches it can drop into the water. We have several very small tree frogs around. I'm taking the two I took off the plants and putting them in a sealed jar and see what comes out. My bet is a caterpillar.

If it wasn't on such a small leaf I may think tree frog. However they are usually put over water so when the tad pole hatches it can drop into the water. We have several very small tree frogs around. I'm taking the two I took off the plants and putting them in a sealed jar and see what comes out. My bet is a caterpillar.
I doubt caterpillar, but I am intensely curious about what it is, so please do update :)

eta I am thinking maybe something like snail ?

Maybe small tree frog eggs or maybe snail or slug eggs?

We don't have land snails here so I know that is not it. Slug... possible... I'm wondering if it the Sipinosad that balled up. It is only in the bed I sprayed. I'll need to take a closer look at the other plants I sprayed. Definitely will add updates!

Edit: Nope not on any of the other sprayed plants...

Can you look at it with magnification? You maybe able to see eggs in the gel...

Can you look at it with magnification? You maybe able to see eggs in the gel...

Some of the pics I posted were with a digital microscope. (Labeled Micro)

After some more digging I'm now leaning towards "Honeydew." It is secreted by sap sucking insects so, it could be Insect poo. Question in this case is, "What insect is creating this size of honeydew pile?" Known Honeydew insects are Aphids, Scales, Leaf Hoppers, Mealy Bugs and a few others. I do not have Aphids, Mealy Bugs or Scales, however I have a lot of Leaf Hoppers and Ants. So, if it is honeydew I have a few culprits it may be or one I just have not seen.

House plant with Honeydew:
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Leaf Hopper squirting Honeydew

I get a lot of leaf hoppers - I hates em! Fortunately, they will succumb to insecticidal soap (like Safers).

To improve the effectiveness of insecticidal soap against harder shelled pests like leaf hoppers, mix 1 tablespoon of household isopropyl alcohol to 1 quart of the spray. It helps the soap penetrate their outer shell.

Also, insecticidal soap only affects insects if they come in contact with it while it wet - it has no residual effect. So, be sure to spray before the sun/light will hit the leaves (for at least a half hour), spray from below as well as from above, spray the top of the soil, and the outside of a fabric pot. And to prevent buildup on the leaves, spray leaves with fresh water to clean off dried residue.

I get a lot of leaf hoppers - I hates em! Fortunately, they will succumb to insecticidal soap (like Safers).

To improve the effectiveness of insecticidal soap against harder shelled pests like leaf hoppers, mix 1 tablespoon of household isopropyl alcohol to 1 quart of the spray. It helps the soap penetrate their outer shell.

Also, insecticidal soap only affects insects if they come in contact with it while it wet - it has no residual effect. So, be sure to spray before the sun/light will hit the leaves (for at least a half hour), spray from below as well as from above, spray the top of the soil, and the outside of a fabric pot. And to prevent buildup on the leaves, spray leaves with fresh water to clean off dried residue.

Most times I just squish-en till they pop. Or, just give them a good GTFO finger flick. :rofl: I could spray, but I would be doing it every day... I will say Spinosad had zero effect on them.

Edit:
One day I saw huge grasshopper on a plant on the deck. I grabbed him by the back legs and tossed him the lake for Bass food.

Has to be an egg... curious what will hatch out into your jar though.
So far nothing has emerged from the ball... :) Still waiting to see if anything comes out.

Back
Top Bottom