Need help identifying insect or disease

MotaFina

I'm trying to help a friend identify a problem showing up on an outdoor photoperiod plant that is just starting to show first pistils. The plant is healthy overall. But recently a few branches are showing what looks almost like the blight that tomato plants get. It's happening at the very tip of a few branches on the newly forming leaves. It's a purplish-black coloring of the leaf combined with some sticking together of the the newest little leaves. My first thought was that it's some insect that's laying eggs or something in the tops and then that's causing the discoloration and sticking. The only thing I've found around on the internet that sort of describes it is fusarium. But I've never seen or heard of this on cannabis plants before. Any help identifying it and what to do about it would be great. Photos below.

Hope very much that it’s not fusarium! Looks like it could be “sooty mold”. Does it rub off the leaf surface? Take a Q-Tip and rub it lightly, see if the black transfers to the cotton. Sooty mold is also associated with bugs/bug damage, so check the plant for pests. Has it been humid or wet lately?

Thanks Phytoplankton. I'll try the Q-tip next time I'm over there. I'm starting to think it's natural coloration. I've never encountered early purpling like that. I've seen pictures of strains that show purple right in the middle of the flowers. This strain has purple lineage, so maybe it's expressing it very early. I noticed a couple of new pistils that were a vibrant purple color, not at all sickly looking. I guess more time will tell....

Back
Top Bottom