420 Magazine Canuck Seeds Comparative Grow - Motafina - Critical Mass

MotaFina

Thanks to Canuk Seeds and 420 Mag for providing me with feminized Critical Mass seeds and the opportunity to join this comparative grow.

Here's the specs:

Strain: Canuk Seeds Critical Mass
Genetic Makeup: Hybrid
Pot Size: 4 in. pot --> 1 gal pot --> 3 gal pot --> 7 gal pot (final)
Tent Size: 4' x 4'
How Many Plants: 2
Environment: Indoor
Medium: soil
---- Seedling stage: 50/50 mixture of HP Pro Mix BX and Coast of Maine Stonington blend
---- Veg/Flower: transplant into recharged Supersoil
Lights: CFLs (seedling) --> 400w Metal Halide (veg) --> 1000w HPS (flower)
Ventilation: 2 x 6 inch inline fans - ingress and extraction
Nutrients: primarily Nectar for the Gods
Room/Tent Temperature: ambient
Relative Humidity: ambient
Pests/Disease: None (God willing)
Watering: as needed

My grow style is pretty relaxed/lazy. I grow for my household only and mainly to ensure we're consuming 'organic' produce and to avoid high dispensary prices. We prefer uplifting strains, so I try to avoid overripe buds and "couch lock" type strains. I don't like tinkering with expensive gadgets or fussing over data. I don't typically aim at getting perfection. But with the exception of a couple of mishaps over the years, my results have been consistently good. Maybe not top-top shelf, but good enough for our needs.

My seeds were placed between paper towels and sandwiched between two ceramic dessert plates on 9/18. Here they were this morning (9/20):

I'll post again when these baby girls show their heads!

Off to a great start! I just started my Canuk seeds Comparative journal today!

:hookah:

Update - Day 9 from seed - First day of veg

I'm calling today the first day of veg. I've got one 'champion' and one semi-runt. I'm pretty sure they'll both do equally well. I'm still using two CFLs, but I've put them on a timer at 18/6.

Update - Day 16 from seed - Day 7 of veg

These two Critical Mass are doing well so far. I've only watered once, adding in just a touch of Bloom City Root Stimulator (contains fish hydrosolate, kelp and microbes). Still under two CFLs but I'll be adding another couple of bulbs soon.

Here they are:

Update - Day 22 from seed - Day 13 of veg

I transplanted to 1-gal pots today. They're both looking a little sad, but especially Critical Mass 1. The first set of leaves on that one are fading. Hopefully they'll perk up. I don't usually have problems early on, so not sure what could be the issue.

Looks great from my couch!

:bongrip:

Mind if I cop a squat?
Certainly Tok...thanks for stopping by. I've been watching your Blue Dreams as well. That's one of my favorite strains.

Update - Day 28 from seed - Day 19 of veg

My Canuk Seeds Critical Masses are coming along. A bit slow overall, but about on par for my methods. My tent's in a basement and it's been cooling down to the low 60's. I'm sure they'd do a little better if I were to bring the temp up.

I installed the 400w Metal Halide light today, topped the plants, and fed them with just a bit of the Bloom City Root Stimulator. The MH bulb will definitely help with the low temps in there.

Here's some pictures:

Critical Mass 1:

Critical Mass 2:

Tent Shot: (the plants in the back row are not featured in this journal.)

Update - Day 36 from seed - Day 27 of veg

Today I transplanted the girls into 3 gallon plastic pots. I used my super soil (undiluted) in the pots with no additional dry amendments. I'm seeing just a touch of tip burn on some leaves, so I'll need to be careful about overfeeding them for a while.

Next up, I'll start training the top branches to grow more horizontally.

Here's tonight's photos:

Update - Day 41 from seed - Day 32 of veg

The Critical Mass girls are coming along. They're a little slow, but otherwise all is good. Up next will be another up-potting to 7 gal pots in about a week. Then another two weeks or so before I flip to 12/12. Here's pictures:

Those girls are looking happy and healthy!
Thanks 2Water!

Looking good, Mota! Approximately, how big are they now?
Hey HashGirl....the pictures make them look bigger than they are. The bigger one is only about 5 inches tall. So I've got a long way to go in Veg still.

Update - Day 52 from seed - Day 43 of veg

Late update here....sorry. I came down with Covid and haven't been much interested in posting. It was all I could do to keep these plants watered. I'm still dragging, but I had enough energy last night to get them up-potted to their final 7-gallon pots. They've been topped 2nd time also. So from here on out, it'll just be some LST and then some light defoliation before the flip. Probably 2-3 weeks more before I flip them.

Here's a couple pictures:

Critical Mass 1:

Critical Mass 2:

Tent:

Back
Top Bottom