420 Magazine Canuck Seeds Comparative Grow - Motafina - Critical Mass

Thanks to Canuk Seeds and 420 Mag for providing me with feminized Critical Mass seeds and the opportunity to join this comparative grow.

Here's the specs:

Strain: Canuk Seeds Critical Mass
Genetic Makeup: Hybrid
Pot Size: 4 in. pot --> 1 gal pot --> 3 gal pot --> 7 gal pot (final)
Tent Size: 4' x 4'
How Many Plants: 2
Environment: Indoor
Medium: soil
---- Seedling stage: 50/50 mixture of HP Pro Mix BX and Coast of Maine Stonington blend
---- Veg/Flower: transplant into recharged Supersoil
Lights: CFLs (seedling) --> 400w Metal Halide (veg) --> 1000w HPS (flower)
Ventilation: 2 x 6 inch inline fans - ingress and extraction
Nutrients: primarily Nectar for the Gods
Room/Tent Temperature: ambient
Relative Humidity: ambient
Pests/Disease: None (God willing)
Watering: as needed

My grow style is pretty relaxed/lazy. I grow for my household only and mainly to ensure we're consuming 'organic' produce and to avoid high dispensary prices. We prefer uplifting strains, so I try to avoid overripe buds and "couch lock" type strains. I don't like tinkering with expensive gadgets or fussing over data. I don't typically aim at getting perfection. But with the exception of a couple of mishaps over the years, my results have been consistently good. Maybe not top-top shelf, but good enough for our needs.

My seeds were placed between paper towels and sandwiched between two ceramic dessert plates on 9/18. Here they were this morning (9/20):

I'll post again when these baby girls show their heads!
MotaFina, Looking to hop on board for your Canuck Seeds Critical Mass 420 comparative grow. The intro to your grow style mirrors mine pretty closely in organic soil. Will catch up soon. Cheers

Update - Day 112 from seed - Flower Day 33

I'm starting to see some signs of over feeding (leaf tip burn) on Critical Mass 2. Critical Mass 1 is really losing color in the fans now. I've given them one half-strength feeding and one compost tea feeding over the past week. Everything seems to be on track. Here's pictures:

Plants:

Buds:

Way late to the party on my Canuck Seeds 420 comparative grow after some germination issues and replacement seeds. Those are some firm looking buds, sweet. Cheers

MotaFina, Looking to hop on board for your Canuck Seeds Critical Mass 420 comparative grow. The intro to your grow style mirrors mine pretty closely in organic soil. Will catch up soon. Cheers
Hi cr8grow. Welcome aboard! I just took a quick stroll through your Grandaddy Bruce journal. Great start!

Update - Day 120 from seed - Day 40 of flower

Critical Mass 1 is really starting to fade now on the lower branches. Critical Mass 2 has upper leaves 'taco-ing' and is starting to look ripe....like almost ready to harvest. Once that one hits 6 weeks, I think I'll put it under the scope to take a look at the trichomes. It seems really early, but I believe this strain is supposed to finish in 7-8 weeks. I'm beginning to think that breeders recommendations for indoor flowering period is from 'time from flip' and not 'time from first pistils showing'. I've been watching this factor over the past half dozen or so grows and, in my experience, that seems to be the case. We'll see how it pans out with Critical Mass!! Anyways, here's this week's pictures:

Update - Day 126 from seed - Day 47 of flower

I took a look at the trichomes on CM2 (using jewelers loupe - not microscope) and it's about 50/50 cloudy and clear, with no amber yet. I'll check again at 7 weeks, but she might end up going the full 8 weeks. I haven't looked at the others yet. The calyxes are getting large on both Critical Mass. The odors are strong....they'd be overwhelming if I wasn't venting to the outside.

Here's some photos:

And lastly, here's the start of my next grow. I started way more seeds this time due to two of these strains (Western Grail and Dreamcatcher) being regular seeds. I want to ensure that I have a full tent once I cull out the males.

I count weeks in flower from first patches of pistils.

Hi Cr8grow. I've been doing the same. But for the past 6 or so grows I've been trying to evaluate breeder recommendations. I tend to lean towards an early harvest - with amber trichomes just starting to show. If I use time-from-flip instead of time-from-first-pistils, then my harvests have been matching pretty closely to breeder recommendations. I guess in the end its all relative and just comes down to watching the trichomes and harvesting how you like them.

I see early pistils on my plants 3 weeks into veg. When do the males begin to show so you can pull or segregate?
I usually grow feminized too. My plan for sexing these regular seeds is to clone the tops when I first top them, then put the clones under 12/12 for 10 days to determine sex. Fingers crossed that I'll get one female of each (Western Grail and Dreamcatcher).

Hi Cr8grow. I've been doing the same. But for the past 6 or so grows I've been trying to evaluate breeder recommendations. I tend to lean towards an early harvest - with amber trichomes just starting to show. If I use time-from-flip instead of time-from-first-pistils, then my harvests have been matching pretty closely to breeder recommendations. I guess in the end its all relative and just comes down to watching the trichomes and harvesting how you like them.

I usually grow feminized too. My plan for sexing these regular seeds is to clone the tops when I first top them, then put the clones under 12/12 for 10 days to determine sex. Fingers crossed that I'll get one female of each (Western Grail and Dreamcatcher).
MotoFina…makes sense, I scope and lean to heavier amber for medicinal properties, so I wait until ready and add a week. I’m going to reevaluate that approach this grow. I’m tweaking my grow style every grow based on hands on learning and more so here. I have to look more into part two of your response, also makes sense. Cheers

Update - Day 126 from seed - Day 47 of flower

I took a look at the trichomes on CM2 (using jewelers loupe - not microscope) and it's about 50/50 cloudy and clear, with no amber yet. I'll check again at 7 weeks, but she might end up going the full 8 weeks. I haven't looked at the others yet. The calyxes are getting large on both Critical Mass. The odors are strong....they'd be overwhelming if I wasn't venting to the outside.

Here's some photos:

And lastly, here's the start of my next grow. I started way more seeds this time due to two of these strains (Western Grail and Dreamcatcher) being regular seeds. I want to ensure that I have a full tent once I cull out the males.

:popcorn::ciao: CL🍀

Update - Day 133 from seed - Day 54 of flower

Almost at the end of week 8 in flower for these Critical Mass plants. Canuk Seeds recommends 56 days to harvest. I'm still not seeing any amber on CM2 using the loupe....just clear and cloudy trichs. I'll trim a sample bud here pretty soon and put it under the USB scope to get a better picture of where they're at. The upper leaves on CM2 are 'taco-ing' really bad. Maybe it's from light stress...not sure. But it's only happening on that one plant.

Here's pictures from last night:

Here's the whole tent:

Critical Mass 1:

Critical Mass 2:

Critical Mass 1 buds:

Critical Mass 2 bud at different zooms:

And finally, here's seedlings coming along for my next grow:

Update - Harvest - Day 60 and Day 66 of flower

Bit of a delay in posting here. I injured my leg and have been using crutches to get around for the past two weeks. I haven't been able to keep up with everything. Anyways, the Critical Masses have been harvested. Critical Mass 1 was harvested at day 66 and Critical Mass 2 at day 60. Below are some pictures.

Critical Mass 1: First impressions: this one is stinky! Its definitely showing it's skunk lineage...has a sour, acrid smell to it. Not full on skunk, but very smelly. It was much larger than CM2. It's still curing, but I estimate about 4-5 ounces.

Critical Mass 2: I tried to get a decent shot of the whole plant, but nothing came out any good. So just a couple of bud shots. This was a totally different pheno than CM1. This one has a sweeter, flowery smell to it. And it was small. The cured buds almost fill 3 mason jars. Buds weighed out at 102g (~3.7 oz) plus some popcorn for the hash bag.

I'll try to post some bud shots and a smoke report after they're completely cured.

Update - Harvest - Day 60 and Day 66 of flower

Bit of a delay in posting here. I injured my leg and have been using crutches to get around for the past two weeks. I haven't been able to keep up with everything. Anyways, the Critical Masses have been harvested. Critical Mass 1 was harvested at day 66 and Critical Mass 2 at day 60. Below are some pictures.

Critical Mass 1: First impressions: this one is stinky! Its definitely showing it's skunk lineage...has a sour, acrid smell to it. Not full on skunk, but very smelly. It was much larger than CM2. It's still curing, but I estimate about 4-5 ounces.

Critical Mass 2: I tried to get a decent shot of the whole plant, but nothing came out any good. So just a couple of bud shots. This was a totally different pheno than CM1. This one has a sweeter, flowery smell to it. And it was small. The cured buds almost fill 3 mason jars. Buds weighed out at 102g (~3.7 oz) plus some popcorn for the hash bag.

I'll try to post some bud shots and a smoke report after they're completely cured.
Looking forward to seeing it already. CL🍀 :thumb: :welldone:

Completed Harvest - Buds and Yields

The drying phase is now complete and the totals are in. I'll give them a couple weeks in the jar before giving a smoke report. Here's a couple bud shots:

Critical Mass 1 is very 'loud'. The smell permeates the whole room when the jars are burped. Its sort of a combination of musky earth and kerosene. Buds filled up 5 1-quart mason jars.

Critical Mass 2 has a more muted smell that is sweeter, maybe throwing in some grape juice aroma. It's also more purple, so go figure. Filled 3 mason jars.

Yields:

Plant​
Grams
Ounces​
Critical Mass 1 - Canuk Seeds145.55.2
Critical Mass 2 - Canuk Seeds102.33.7
Total247.88.9

Just as comparison and to close out the journal, I'll add in the two other plants that were in the tent during this grow. Here's bud pictures:

And here's the yields on those two:

Plant​
Grams​
Ounces​
Girl Scout Cookies141.75.1
Peyote Forum X Gelato2117.5
Total these two plants352.712.6
Combined total for the tent600.521.4

Thoughts on this grow and the Canuk genetics: The produce from all four of these plants looks to be very high quality. The Canuk Seeds Critical Mass genetics look solid. Germination rate was 100%. The plants were fairly healthy throughout the grow, although CM 1 was sensitive with some lower leaf yellowing, and CM 2 started out and stayed small. I have 5 Critical Mass seeds left for future grows and I look forward to seeing if they match the quality and health of these two. Thanks again to Canuk Seeds for including me in this comparison grow!!

Back
Top Bottom