Clones from clones from clones

I had only one plant grow from some really old but sweet hash bud plant seed. Not knowing if it was a male or female I took clones. She turned out to be a beautiful plant. I seeded her from a nice indica male from a good but not great strain so I do have seed. She is so nice I want to keep her going. I would rather not keep a mother and just take clones from her clones. I have heard mixed stories on this ... that a strain was kept this way for many years or after a few times the plants are not the same and are not as good.

Anyone?

this is the plant ... just for motivation

DSC_6491_sm.jpg

Posting this for the folks looking for information

I see there are hundreds like me seeking information on this subject. I have no room for mother plants. I do have a small area 4' x 3' that is 18/6 that I want to keep my favs going in so I have been looking for information too. While I have found some hearsay that genetics degrade I have not yet found proof. (not saying it is not there just have not found it yet)

I did find this here on 420magazine

What is a flowering clone?

snip

well I've never seen the genetics drift enough to really be noticeable. potency was never lost but I never kept the process going longer than 5 years either. A friend in Australia has been growing with flowering clones and the same plant for over 12 years and he says it tastes the same and hit's just as hard as it did the first season. I know rosenthal and george report that the genetics change and potency diminshes but I truly have never seen it happen.
What confuses me is what's the difference if you keep a mother plant alive for 5 years and clone from her or if you just clone from a clone? It's the same genes and techinaclly they are the same age.

end snip

my friend has grown ''white berry'' for 10+ years clones of clones etc and i personally think it's not at good as the first season but he rates it the same. hard call unless you had a lab and samples from clones many many many gens down the line.

Logic says that no matter how many clones are made it should NEVER change since it's always the same plant, same dna etc.

Personally if i want to keep a strain, i clone it, silver the clone, back cross,keep the fem seeds made. I can only keep two mothesr at a time so i grow them out when a new girl comes into my life.

i know this can change the plant but it's normally close enough with very few hermies if any and 95%+ fems (rest normally hermies) and 200+ seeds you can have as many goes as needed.

and sorry if i keep jumping on your threads buckshot but you seem to ask questions that get my gears going lol

my friend has grown ''white berry'' for 10+ years clones of clones etc and i personally think it's not at good as the first season but he rates it the same. hard call unless you had a lab and samples from clones many many many gens down the line.

Logic says that no matter how many clones are made it should NEVER change since it's always the same plant, same dna etc.

Personally if i want to keep a strain, i clone it, silver the clone, back cross,keep the fem seeds made. I can only keep two mothesr at a time so i grow them out when a new girl comes into my life.

i know this can change the plant but it's normally close enough with very few hermies if any and 95%+ fems (rest normally hermies) and 200+ seeds you can have as many goes as needed.

Thanks for that. When you take the clone is it flowering? ... and you can get it to herm?

and sorry if i keep jumping on your threads buckshot but you seem to ask questions that get my gears going lol

I appreciate it ... thanks again for the info

I have a report on my efforts and a question for those doing this.

I have taken clones from 2 clones. The report is they seem to be taking much longer to root and the question is ... is that normal from clones from clones? This weekend I am going to take some pics.

hope your clones keep rooting Buckshot! I was wondering as well if you could put these clones directly into 12/12 light? No veg time, just living in a 12/12 lite/dark grow box.

Yes you can ... folks do it to sex plants early or treat them and make them hermaphrodite to breed for feminized seed. I guess you could do it for the bud but the yield would be small. I saw a plant here that was only a couple inches and budding

PS I have 4 S3 girls

Buckshot said:
Yes you can ... folks do it to sex plants early or treat them and make them hermaphrodite to breed for feminized seed. I guess you could do it for the bud but the yield would be small. I saw a plant here that was only a couple inches and budding

PS I have 4 S3 girls

Any plant that goes directly into 12/12 will basically have just one main cola and maybe some lateral branching. That's what the hempy guys do for their sogs

i wasnt aware of this phenomenon so i kept taking clones of clones of clones and it was a gradual process but what is left now is similar to the originals but they do not yield as well or have as good as bud structure. i then became aware of this and saw it happen with another strain over just 1 generation. for example, a mother grown from seed shows certain pheno's like mirror branching and thick wide leafs. clones taken from that mother all had the same pheno's as the mother but clones taken from the clones varied in pheno's. i not this isnt a good enough sample size blah blah blah but others have experienced it and i saw it with my own eyes. i need no more proof and no one can convince me otherwise. i now have some moms from seed that i wont be flowering for at least the next 5-6 months and when they're down ill re-order seeds. CLONES FROM CLONES FROM CLONES WILL DIMINISH YIELD/STRUCTURE/POTENCY

When I took the first set of clones from the mother I had only a few that seemed to have strange structure. It is hard to tell yet but I will take your word and report my results. At this point I would like to keep her going till I can square her.

i wasnt aware of this phenomenon so i kept taking clones of clones of clones and it was a gradual process but what is left now is similar to the originals but they do not yield as well or have as good as bud structure. i then became aware of this and saw it happen with another strain over just 1 generation. for example, a mother grown from seed shows certain pheno's like mirror branching and thick wide leafs. clones taken from that mother all had the same pheno's as the mother but clones taken from the clones varied in pheno's. i not this isnt a good enough sample size blah blah blah but others have experienced it and i saw it with my own eyes. i need no more proof and no one can convince me otherwise. i now have some moms from seed that i wont be flowering for at least the next 5-6 months and when they're down ill re-order seeds. CLONES FROM CLONES FROM CLONES WILL DIMINISH YIELD/STRUCTURE/POTENCY

After 4 generations I must disagree ... I will follow up in a post

I have a White Widow that i just started 5th gen clones. The previous 4 were all great. I see no degrading of the strain yet.

After 4 generations I can fully back up this statement ... in fact "prove" it.

Ok I have now gone 4 generations of S Girl cloning from a clone, so to be clear I now have a clone of a clone of a clone of the original plant from seed. Below is S3 girl, I have learned how to take care of her and now each generation is actually BETTER that the previous gen. You do not have to take my word for it ... just look back through my images

S3 Girl

DSC_8974_S3_Girl.jpg

S3 Girl closer

DSC_8973_S3_Girl.jpg

This is a super snowdawg clone that is going to be twice the plant of the mother ... you can look back for her too

DSC_8972_sativas.jpg

I now have a male for a 75/25 cross :cheesygrinsmiley: I don't know how many more generations it will take...

GDP is the #1 selling strain in dispensaries right now. They can't keep it on their shelves. It is a clone only strain has been that way for years. Personally I have grown a strain 8 years and never saw even the slightst difference from beginning to end. as far as keeping mothers. If your running a cycled dark room (12/12) then youll nned a veg area. But for years I just took clones off of plants just prior to turning that specific room to a 12/12 cycle. I never actually ran a veg room or mothers and i ran 6 10x10 grow rooms like this for years. Just my 2 cents.

OG

you mean you take a clone and have no veg room, then what do you do with them to get them to grow? Don't they just flower before they actually get a chance to grow if you keep them in the 12/12 room?

Well I was running 6 rooms remember at the time. Id take clones from one room, turn the lights to 12/12. This meant the next room was ready to be cut so I had a room now available. Theres always a 2-3 day down time for each room to cut and completely clean all the equipment. And also theres actually 2 sets of clones going. The ones i just took and another set further along that have roots and are ready for the next room as soon as everything is cleaned. They go down for 2 weeks of 18/6, just before turning the lights to 12/12 take another set of clones. and the cycle continued. There were a couple times cycles got outa sync so at the most i had to find a place for them under a 48" floruecent hood for a day or 2.

Back
Top Bottom