Closet grow

evildude916

Hi I'm two weeks into flowering on my first grow and I'm running out of room in my closet.
I was wondering if I could trim some leafs off or cut them in half to try and get some light penetration to the lower bud Cheers for any replies

You can tuck the leaves or tie them together, fan leaves offer vital nutrients to the plant cutting a leaf will slow the bud production. Fan leaves absorb sunlight through photosynthesis they turn it into food for the plant. But I always remember " tuck before you pluck". Or you can just do a 2nd harvest, take the top buds off then give it a couple weeks to finish the lower buds. I've read and done it before, but cutting off fan leaves during flower is something you don't want to do.

u can defoliate with no ill effects at all. If u defoliate in soil it will take longer for the plant to recover than it would in hydro. I defoliate heavily and only see positive things, it absolutely increases yield in my grows. As long as u dont rape the plant to the point of leaving only stick it wont do any harm and will open up the bud sites to more light, more light = more bud!

I would also say yes to defoliation in your circumstances. In an ideal world where you have a large space and ample light penetration then I'd say no, but in a small space it may be necessary to increase light to the lower parts of the plant and also to increase airflow. Without adequate airflow you risk a powdery mildew attack and botrytis (bud rot). The benefits far outweigh the risks in my opinion.
Take only what is necessary though, thinning out crowded leaves and fans that shade other growth.

u can defoliate at anytime so long as its not too aggressive and it depends if u are in soil or hydro as hydro recovery is so much faster. U can defol at any time in veg once the plant has a half decent root structure. day 21 and 45 is a very basic guide for less experienced growers but its not set in stone.Its better to defoliate just before the flip then do small amounts often so as not to shock the plant too much in 1 go, especially in soil. In dwc u can be brutal, so long as u understand the nutrient needs. A heavy defol between days 14-26 is great, it depends when the buds start to form and the stretch slows, generally around day 21 but varies strain to strain and grow stlye. if u have a strain that stretches like crazy and u want to slow it down, hit it earlier in the transition.

try taking just about every fan leaf off, u'd be surprised at the effect it has. It works best in DWC and Flood drain systems using pebbles, or perlite/verm mix. Not great in soil or coco.

Oh and the plant must be healthy too. do not do this if u have had root issues or any nutrient problems.

Back
Top Bottom