Clustered top

Finnicki

She’s only 5 weeks young and seems to have stopped growing skyward. Haven’t topped her yet. Could she be root bound? I can move her to a larger ‘bag’
but is it too late for it? Should it be attempted. Stalk is dia of my pinkie already. Tough to lst now. Afraid to break the stalk. Help.

827E633D-4F19-452C-8A16-47454AFF1335.jpeg

A35FF7FE-E74B-4D3A-B747-754E7024AF48.jpeg

I went back & bent her a tad…I use pipe cleaners to a bamboo tomato stick. Moved tomato stick to outside perimeter of air pot so it would not slip.

The plant is not looking bad at all at this point.

Could she be root bound?
Unlikely. My experience has been that root bound plants tend to keep growing, just growing slower. Also root bound plants loose that nice even green color, often with the leaves turning to a pale green with signs of any nutrient deficiencies starting to show.

I do not see that on your plant which is looking very healthy.

Tough to lst now. Afraid to break the stalk. Help.
Basic types of Low Stress Training are easy to do. What you and @Hafta mentioned are some examples.

I would pinch the stem where I wanted a bend to be. Then I held it in one hand above the area I wanted the bend to be and held it below with the other hand. Next I would slowly twist the stem back and forth. And before long start to bend it at that point. Some people will crush the area they want the bend to be. Go slow and as long as the stem has been softened up it should not break into two pieces.

You might hear the center 'woody' area give a slight snap but that is often just a minor issue. Sometimes the bark will show a split an again a minor issue most of the time. These will heal quickly.

There used to be messages showing photos of special pliers for stem bending or the instructions on how to jury-rig a pair on your own. Don't know if the pliers are still on the market and have not seen anyone post the instructions in awhile.

I can move her to a larger ‘bag’ but is it too late for it? Should it be attempted.
Some say yes, go for it. Some will say it is not worth the risk if it is an 'auto-flower' plant.

There was a pliers used to bend metal brake lines. One summer I put the ‘87 Dodge on stands and replaced every brake line. Bent a few. Back when I could get on the ground. Not any more. Thanks for the tips!!!

I use a solid round object like a thin pipe or pen/pen cap for smaller plants, pushing the stem on and around it a bit. Do it gently and you'll feel the stem give, maybe with a crunching sound and then it will get a bit floppy.

It may want to turn back up within a day or two but I just tie or weight them to keep them in position.

The bend will heal with a knuckle and that seems to make for an even healthier and stronger limb than the original.

Super cropping is gently crushing the stem and pulling it over. Then support with wire..

Pretty sure I used needle nose pliers for this one but gently crushing/manipulating with fingers alone will do it..

Day 97 WC knuckle 25 Oct 2023.jpg

For a less severe bend, just gently pull the branch over without crushing the stem. Do this in stages if you feel it is necessary ;)

Notice on this one I've also supported the main stem lower down on the opposite side...

Gelato 9 Feb 2022 Day 33.jpg

Age doesn't really matter, you can train well into flowering !

Cheers

Here is a photo of the top leaves of this
GarlicMashedPotato photo plant. Others I have grown have never been this large. I have a 2nd light going to the left to reach the leaves below. Almost beach umbrella size.

E446E77F-8F9C-428D-9CD4-18F403162444.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom