Top heavy plants

Scottishweed

Hi all I'm 4 weeks into flower in my 1st season. I came home from work today to find my Ultra Power is looking like the leaning tower of pisa. They're rather top heavy and bowing a bit. What would be the best way to support the stalks, ive heard of netting and staking but not sure what wouldd be best.

I apologise for the quality of the photo but can clearly see the the issue im having. Theres 13 top buds like that and im afraid if I start sticking heaps of kebab skewers into the pot, ill end up hurting her
20200918_154311.jpg

Any help or advice would be greatfully appreciated, ive posted a few times here and you guys have proved to be the most helpful towards new members/gardeners.

Tia guys and girls
Scottish

Pushing a kebab skewer into the soil near the stem of the plant is not going to hurt it. The skewer might cut a few roots on the way down but a healthy plant will not suffer from that.

A couple of my clones have given me similar situations. What I do is push a bamboo stick in until it hits the bottom of the pot. Then my wife will give me a strip of cloth, it will look like a ribbon, from her sewing room. I tie one end to the stick and then go around all the stems that are leaning over and pull it up tight enough to just pull the stalks up enough straighten them out so that they are not leaning over the edge of the pot. Then tie the other end to the stick.

Hi all I'm 4 weeks into flower in my 1st season. I came home from work today to find my Ultra Power is looking like the leaning tower of pisa. They're rather top heavy and bowing a bit. What would be the best way to support the stalks, ive heard of netting and staking but not sure what wouldd be best.

I apologise for the quality of the photo but can clearly see the the issue im having. Theres 13 top buds like that and im afraid if I start sticking heaps of kebab skewers into the pot, ill end up hurting her
20200918_154311.jpg

Any help or advice would be greatfully appreciated, ive posted a few times here and you guys have proved to be the most helpful towards new members/gardeners.

Tia guys and girls
Scottish
Tie it make a loop round the pot and then add a separate piece of tie to the plant and tie it to the loop round the pot it will hold it.its worked for mine

Cheers guys, went to raid my folks garden shed today found something I could use, a round grid support I think for tomatos or the like but need to find a way to support it. Away to B&Q to see what I can find.

Resin will do that in fact I hope it happens every time. If they ain't swaying the Gods ain't praying.
I've just rigged up a tomato screen? (Least that's what I think it is) I kinda bent a few stalks trying to tuck them but has worked to an extent. I must admit my hands are sticky and the smell is amazing!! I can't wait til mid november! 1600619685398648124166377965870.jpg
Thanks everyone for the help. I decided not to stick bamboo stakes in the coco as ive heard about it causing mold etc so just taped them to the outside.

16017227069702148033932745166427.jpg 1601722809516971798983701800971.jpg
Have I got a deficiency or is this normal. Its only happening on 1 of the plants.

Cheers, Scottish

get a mesh netting trellis for your next grow and place before your plants get to big and let them grow into it , i like the idea you taped the stakes to the outside of the pot , never put stakes in a flowering plant pot or veg for that matter , the dying leaves should be at the bottom of the plant not the top near the larger cola`s , if its at the top its being over fed , that is tip burn in your pics , the brown at the bottom is the plant killing leaves that don't get enough light witch is normal .

looks like a potassium deficiency... finishing nutes are being called for, imho.

I like tomato cages for the top heavy problem. There are some cool 4' cages you can get now that assemble right over the active plant and provide a very cool solution to your problem without having to dig out bamboo stakes, twine for corsets, or yo-yos to support the buds from the ceiling. Plus, the plant remains mobile and able to be moved around in the room, taking its support system with it, unlike a net that really locks everything down in your grow room. This is perfect for me, because I like to rotate my plants in place and around the room as the grow progresses.

i have used cages before also and they work great but i have 7 of the new mars 1000 watt lights in a 5x7 x7 grow room so lighting to the bottom isn't a problem plus i tend to trim the bottom 6-8 inches of my plants when they are in veg .

I use bamboo stakes and stake them up. Tie the real heavy stalks to the stakes with pipe cleaners 90% of the time when growing in fabric pots with coco. Hydro is a little more challenging to stake up. That is where a net comes in as you are not moving the plants anyway.

I have used netting to surround the entire plant to hold it together and I have used yo-yo's. Both of those methods are down on the list method wise.

If you are indoors try yoyos. They more with the plant, you don't need to fit anything over the plant, and they only cost a couple bucks
Not the best picture, but basically, a hook holds the stem. Its connected to the body of the yoyo by a spring loaded fishing line.

Stakes for the light duty jobs. I usually use tomato cages for the most floppy ones. I snip the horizontal wires up one side so the cages can be opened up and put around the plants without much fuss. I bend the ends of the cut wires to make a hook/loop so they can be hooked back together again once they’re around the plant.

Back
Top Bottom