Colorado Griz's - Ebb & Flow - Coco - LEC 630 - Grow Journal - 2016

ColoradoGriz

Colorado Griz's - Ebb and Flow - Coco - LEC 630 Grow Journal -2016

Thanks for stopping by, I've been away a long while but I'm back to check things out. I've only been growing for a few years now so this is all still a learning process for me. I'll spare you boring personal background stuff and get to the meat and potatoes. I'm not really good at writing journals but in my own research I haven't found anyone running the exact setup I am, so, let's experiment.

SETUP:​

INDOOR GROW: 4x4 Apollo Horticulture Tent
MEDIUM: Royal Gold Tupur Coco Coir and Growstones
WATERING METHOD: Hydro Farm Ebb and Flow w/55 Gallon Rez and 7 Gallon Controller
NUTRIENTS: Advanced Nutrients Sensi Coco Grow (Hobbyist level Nute Schedule); Great White; Advanced Nutrients PH-Down.
WATER: Tap at 7.2 PH, PPM 53 (Rocky Mountain Snow Melt) Not using rain water this run.
POTS: 2 Gallon Pots (bottom inch Growstones, filled 3" from top w/ Coco Coir) decided against smart pots this run.
LIGHTING: Sun System 630w LEC; T5's for seedlings
AIR FLOW: 6" 440 cfm Exhaust fan on low, 6" booster fan intake, 1 3 foot tower oscillating fan, 2 6" clip fans, Phat Filter.
CONTROLS: Blue Lab Guardian for EC, PH and Res Temps. Titan Controller for Heat, Humidity and Lights. Not using CO2 this run. Humidity is really low in Colorado. Wifi Camera to check my crops 24/7.

I am growing the following feminized strains:

Blue Cheese x 2: an indica cross created by crossing a Blueberry male with an original U.K. Cheese (a Skunk #1 phenotype) female.

Humboldt Blue Dream x3: A sativa dominant cross of Blueberry and Haze

Pakistani Valley Kush x 2: 100% Indica

White Widow X Big Buds x 3: Hybrid, name speaks for itself

Delicious Candy x2: Indica dominant Caramelo x Cheese​

Many of you are already familiar with several strains so I will spare all the details of each. If you have any questions about a particular one, I'd be happy to answer to the best of my abilities. I hope my comments throughout this journal will fill in the blanks about their performance in my grow.
Now I had already germinated these seeds prior to starting this journal. It wasn't until I finalized my setup that I decided to start a journal.

IMG_032646.JPG

I germinated 14 seeds in Rooter Plugs in which 14 hatched and 13 broke the surface. I've seen all kinds of methods of germination and personally I just stick with a simple method that has worked for me about a good 99% of the time. I use rooter plugs soaked in regular tap water until I feel they are nice and soaked but not dripping. I place the plugs in tray with a heat pad underneath. My heating pad has a thermostat and I try to keep the pad in the high 70's, below 80. I put the seeds into the holes of the plugs and push them down about a knuckle deep, 1". I then rip off a piece of the plug and use it to plug the hole.

IMG_032843.JPG

I use a single bulb T5 running for 24 hours until they sprout.

IMG_034542.JPG

I usually get results in 2-3 days. These seeds sprouted within 48 hours and had first set of true leaves on day 3.

IMG_036147.JPG

After 4 days I transferred them to red solo cups filled with Royal Gold Tupur Coco and put them under the four bulb T5s until they started their 5th set of leaves. I topped the 5th set gave them about 4 days and transplanted them to the 2 gallon pots.

IMG_037537.JPG

Day 5

IMG_0382_1.JPG

Day 7: Decided why water, when I can dunk. Same process as Ebb and Flow, I felt it helped get any air pockets out of the medium and fully saturated the medium. Looking back, it was easier than watering and didn't have any negative effects. Bottom line, time saver, thorough but not necessary. I'll be doing it from now on though. This is just RO water and Great White.

IMG_038342.JPG

Watered and Healthy. Through this stage watering every 3-4 days was fine. More often wouldn't have hurt but I wouldn't have gone less.

IMG_039357.JPG

Snapshot from my wifi camera giving me live video feeds.

IMG_045037.JPG

These were my all-stars at Day 15. I had topped their 5th set of leaves. Showing signs of water not being enough anymore.

IMG_045242.JPG

These were the runts of the bunch.

IMG_044738.JPG

Don't worry, that's just the tap PH

IMG_044935.JPG

Dinner time, ¼ serving.

IMG_045439.JPG

Ph is better, brought that water temp down to 74. Ph was auto adjusted by the Nutes.

IMG_046045.JPG

Pakistani Valley stretched a bit into the T5s. Giving them a little more time to adjust from the topping before I transplant to the 2 gallon pots.

Now I have grown in Fox Farms soil until a friend turned me onto coco. I had been using Botanicare but once I found out they had ties with Monsanto, I dropped their product line along with G & H. This is my first time using Royal Gold so it's too soon to tell.
I've heard varying reports about coco coir in an ebb and flow system. I'm hoping to find out for myself if this is a good medium or not. I want to use coco because I can throw it my yard instead of a landfill. This is also why I decided against smart pots. So no ebb and flow using clay pellets and smart pots on this grow. I used to grow a few plants in large pots but I wanted to downscale the pot size as moving those big pots around after a long day of work was getting old.
This is also the first time I have used an LEC lighting system, lots of firsts. Nothing against LEDs, I just think they are not there yet and I got tired of pink photos and special glasses. Well, let's add some photos.

IMG_048032.JPG

Here you can see a little light burn. These girls want more light and they are going to have it.

IMG_049239.JPG

This is a good testament. The plant in the red solo cup was one of the all stars that didn't make the cut of the 12 going into the Flower tent. We transplanted the plants just one day before this was taken. You can see the growth that basically happened overnight.

IMG_0495_1.JPG
IMG_049436.JPG

Here we are now Day 5 of Week 1, Veg Cycle.

Being new to this set up, vegging for 3-4 weeks will be dependent on growth. I've been able to keep them short and bushy up to this point. I started the rez with 90 liters of water and nutes on Friday. About Tuesday the EC went up a little so I just topped off with 15 liters of water bringing the EC down. Since this brought the PH up a little by Wednesday, I added some PH down. I also should mention I have two airstones in the rez to keep things from getting stagnant and put oxygen in the water. They are on an 18/6 light schedule with 3 waterings a day during the light cycle. Once when they wake up, one mid cycle and once more 2 hours before lights out. I may or may not drop this down to two feedings but it's working good so far.
I have good feelings about the LEC lamp. Temps get to 80-88 and I know that is kind of high, but Colorado has very low humidity so 85 with a Humidity of 50 in my grow tent is a trade off and the plants are showing no signs of heat stress. In about a month temps will drop and heat will become more manageable. I could run cool air from outside or hook my portable AC but currently I'm not too concerned about a high of 88. Just a tip, sometimes turning up your exhaust fan is counterproductive. If you suck air out too fast, it doesn't give the incoming air time to cool things down.

re: Colorado Griz's - Ebb & Flow - Coco - LEC 630 - Grow Journal - 2016

I went to the tent to check on the rez, did a little Ph adjustment bringinging it down from 6.6 to 6.1. I didn't mess with the EC too much as I will clean out the rez tomorrow and add fresh water and nutes.

With the way they are growing, I may just give them one more week before I flip the switch. It puts me in a little bit of a pickle in that if I want to give them only one more week, then I need to change up my nutes for this coming week. If I do that, and decide to go one more week a few days from now, I could have reduced some potential by cutting back on the nutes. Oh well, overthinking the grow is a common trap. It's easy to get ahead of ourselves as we wait in anticipation. It's so silly to look so far forward when dealing with a plant that could surprise you and die overnight.

Having said that, I will go two more weeks so I can take some clones later this week, giving them a week of recovery before changing the light schedule. My greatest concern is 2 gallons is not a very big pot and the rate of growth could cause some root issues through flower. I'm so used to bigger pots and have to remind myself I'm going for overall yield.

I took these pictures this morning. Stems look good and strong. I was showing how much growth can come from transplanting sooner than later. Had these plants still been in red solo cups, they would be as small as this one from the same batch.

IMG_049739.JPG

IMG_049936.JPG

IMG_050145.JPG

Yo! Pass that! :passitleft:
Diggin the lights the strains and the ebb flow setup. Rock on my man.:tommy:
I'm in :popcorn:

Yo ColoradoGriz,
Your 630 CMH looks like its doing an amazing job of keeping the internodes compact.
I likey...I likey! :circle-of-love:

Yo! Pass that! :passitleft:
Diggin the lights the strains and the ebb flow setup. Rock on my man.:tommy:
I'm in :popcorn:

Thanks Stage! I know most people use clay with an ebb but I was determined to make coco work. I'm sure as long as I can keep the salts down, it should be fine. The light, I never got this kind of growth from LEDs, I would have a lot more stretch. I started it off at 30" from the top of the plants thinking I would adjust from there. They are still short and bushy with no heat stress so 30" seems like a good number for the time being. The light still has 3 more feet of ceiling clearance.

As for the strains, the top performer has been the Pakistani Valley Kush which were free seeds thrown in by Herbies. They had seven finger leaves on their 4th set, nice thick stalks, tight nodes. I will probably keep cloning and growing that strain.

Your set up and use of environmental monitors are a tech lovers delight.
The Paki Valley Kush looks wunderbar.
The blue dream is a yielder that will surprise you if you haven't run it before
Keep doin what you do bruh. I'm eating popcorn. :popcorn:

Yo ColoradoGriz,
Your 630 CMH looks like its doing an amazing job of keeping the internodes compact.
I likey...I likey! :circle-of-love:

I'm really happy with the 630, supposedly it runs like a 1000-1200. I hope it does as well in flower. I was a little worried when it first started because it was really noisy as if a transformer inside was vibrating. If I tilted the lamp the sound would go away. That noise went away after a day. I've never used anything but T5s and LEDs so maybe that sound is normal until they break in a bit. Ya, it's keeping my plants short and bushy. The light penetration thus far is great. Like that one photo, I have to push the leaves back to get any kind of stem photo.

Washed out and added fresh food to the rez today. Tent temps down to 83 with humidity at 47. As predicted the nights are cooling off here in Colorado so temps in the tents are getting lower as well. I backed the lights off just a tad, okay 6". As you see by the photos the girls are pretty healthy, node spacing is really tight. Almost too tight. One of the girls has new growth forcing it's fan leaves to split off. It's like Bruce Banner turning into the Hulk. Okay, I'll have to add a photo of that plant tomorrow to show what I mean. I use an app made by some guys in Colorado, that tracks your plants, etc. it's called ---------, check it out. So I was categorizing my plants, thus the labels and individual photos.

IMG_053230.JPG
IMG_053134.JPG
IMG_052933.JPG
IMG_052836.JPG
IMG_052633.JPG
IMG_052429.JPG
IMG_052234.JPG
IMG_052137.JPG
IMG_051944.JPG
IMG_051841.JPG
IMG_051745.JPG
IMG_051645.JPG
IMG_051549.JPG

A318 is a twisted mess being by that fan. I'm a little sadistic in that I'm not concerned. Apologies I wasn't aware I couldn't mention that app's name. Now I know.

Interesting grow setup, dude. Im subbed!

Sent from my E5803 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

First time running this setup, so far it's been the least stressful. Thanks for coming along for the ride!

Been trying to add photos for a few hours now. Lost a long update in the process after it crashed my browser and lost all of my text. I learned this lesson last year when I used to type everything in Word first. I thought this site would be more fluid by now but it is what it is. Updates when I get home.

All that effort for one photo lol

A summarized version of my update: Yesterday saw a couple of plants getting limey. I don't usually adjust for the sake of a few but this adjustment seemed it would benefit all. I added 15 liters of cold tap water to bring down the rex temps from 71 to 67 and the EC from 2.0 to 1.7. Advanced Nutes run a little high on the EC but spread out over three waterings a day, so far no issues. I just thought the limey might be that some of the plants were not getting the nutes they needed at the PH level and EC they were at. No more limey this am.

IMG_0534-Parts-Office.JPG

Veg week 2 Day 3

Re: Colorado Griz's - Ebb & Flow - Coco - LEC 630 - Grow Journal - 2016

The ladies look green bushy and happy. Yo Colorado Grizz ya got 12 in a 4x4? How long are u gonna veg?

Re: Colorado Griz's - Ebb & Flow - Coco - LEC 630 - Grow Journal - 2016

The ladies look green bushy and happy. Yo Colorado Grizz ya got 12 in a 4x4? How long are u gonna veg?

I have a red card and a legally higher plant count for edibles. I'm actually going to take clones tomorrow night, give them some time to recover and flip them to 12/12 on Monday. These are 2 gallon pots and I think vegging any longer would push the limits of their pots.

I've never grown out of 2 Gallon pots before, at least not intentionally. I've thrown extra plants that were in 1 gallons into flower before, instead of throwing them out, but those were in soil and under LEDs. These plants took off faster than I anticipated. Unfortunately this being the first time with an LEC, Ebb and Flow Buckets, and Advanced Nutrients line, I'm not sure what to credit the growth with.

Granted, I consider my girls seedlings until they have 4 sets of leaves and I top the fifth set as soon as they have enough to pluck. So one could argue that these girls are on week 3. Still, growth over the last week has more than doubled what I normally get at this stage and it's across several strains. en that twisted up Delicious Candy plant looks better after pulling them further from the big fan.

Your thoughts? Did I grow them too much to survive an 8 week flower?

Great looking grow and set up you have going in here CG! I'll sub in for this, as I am soon going to be growing Pakistan Valley Kush and Delicious Candy as well.

Also like the ebb and flow set and interested in seeing how all of that works...

Anyways happy growing! :roorrip:

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom