Come SOG With Me: 112 Plants, 2 Liter, Hempy SOG

... I do have an auto irrigation system designed. I will incorporate it once I'm at full go in the new space.
would you share more info about that as well? can't wait to see what you came up with.. a drip system maybe?
I ended connecting some sort of hosepipe with a funnel for watering a scrog, but this doesn't work with them bottles..

Hi to all following this thread,

I just want to report that I just finished a 2L hempy SOG based on 420fied's awesome journals and want to thank him from the bottom of my heart.

I averaged 14g's,highest yield was about 20g's and the lowest was 11.

My advise to anyone thinking of trying this method is first and foremost don't try to reinvent the wheel,follow 420's journals and replicate it as much as you can. That being said I will list the differences in mine:

I used AN nutes because that is what I had,no love for them and I have two more SOG's in flower at the moment using Technaflora nutes,I will report on my yields on these in a few weeks. I would LOVE to support Blue Planet but the shipping costs are high,not Corey's fault but it is what it is.

I vegged for 9 days because my flower room wasn't ready,the next two grows were vegged for only 4 days.

I add H2O2 and CalMag to ALL my nutes,ALL the time,I have never had root rot or or any disease EVER.

I reused my runoff once,I reset the PH and reuse ONCE and once only. This was just to save money.

One factor in the success of this system that is understated in my opinion is that it is a "drain to waste" system. I have used recirculating and DTW on other grows and DTW wins hands down every time,commercial growers of flowers and other plants would never recirculate,once the nutes have passed through the medium the balance of the different components is not the same anymore and because we can't measure it the only way to assure your plants of consistency is by utilizing a DTW system. I did a DTW SCROG prior to my hempy SOG and the results were off the chart.

The part that sucked about growing this way is the hand watering,I suffer from severe arthritis and it is a literal pain to do this much watering,I long for the day 420fied releases his new journal outlining his drip system,I have looked at other tutorials but am waiting on 420 as he does a much more thorough job explaining and detailing the process. Also,getting at the 4th and 5th row of plants in the middle of the grow is very difficult regardless of my condition,you just can't see in there!

My biggest challenge believe it or not was proccurring enough bottles,I don't drink soda and ran adds on Craigslist offering 20 cents a bottle and only got two people to sell them to me,I ended up buying soda at the store and dumping it down the drain.

Anyway,this broken,rickety old man thanks you 420fied for taking the time to write these journals,it has been a life changer for me.

I use all 1000W Hortilux dual arc super blue bulbs over a 4x4 footprint,I put 64 plants 8x8. The initial outlay for these bulbs are high but is you get even a 10% higher yield it pays for itself and then some,I submit it is more like a 25% yield increase. Dual arc bulbs are the sh*t,trust me.

Hey 420fied.

Just wanted to say thx for helping us all out with this thread. I've experimented with this SOG technique and have had some mild success(for me anyway), but I'm still getting myself into trouble with feeding/nutes and leaf damage etc...

Anyway, I think I asked earlier if you ever used a flood technique and I believe you said you still feed by hand/top.

I came across some information on technique at opengrow(sorry mods if this is party foul) talking about Mapito technique.
It uses mapito which in Europe is like recycled rockwool. For how relatively low imput these grows are the results are impressive to me. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a similar flood technique with these 2L's.

Would fluid/nutes/water "wick" up into the upper layers like rockwool would. I understand the osmosis type draw of fluid up the rockwool. I'm not sure if the pearl lite/vermiculite mix would be able to "communicate" or allow that wicking to occur. Sorry if I'm sounding retarded, but I'm bad with terminology :(. Basically, what I'm trying to say is if I flood 4-6" of water/nutes into a flood tray, will the plant get enough juices to the upper root area that might be up to 12-14" high, as opposed to the 6" of flood level??????

I'm also going to experiment with using the rockwool media like maybe Gro-wol as you can get big bales of it for decent pricing and it's re-usable after a semi-pia cleaning process. I think this is where I'll end up settling as making runs for huge bags of pearl lite, vermiculite, or SS#4 in the past was a PIA and conspicuous.

LoL, it seems like I'm always chasing that greener grass on the other side of the grow rooms

Hi to all following this thread,

I just want to report that I just finished a 2L hempy SOG based on 420fied's awesome journals and want to thank him from the bottom of my heart.

I averaged 14g's,highest yield was about 20g's and the lowest was 11.

My advise to anyone thinking of trying this method is first and foremost don't try to reinvent the wheel,follow 420's journals and replicate it as much as you can. That being said I will list the differences in mine:

I used AN nutes because that is what I had,no love for them and I have two more SOG's in flower at the moment using Technaflora nutes,I will report on my yields on these in a few weeks. I would LOVE to support Blue Planet but the shipping costs are high,not Corey's fault but it is what it is.

I vegged for 9 days because my flower room wasn't ready,the next two grows were vegged for only 4 days.

I add H2O2 and CalMag to ALL my nutes,ALL the time,I have never had root rot or or any disease EVER.

I reused my runoff once,I reset the PH and reuse ONCE and once only. This was just to save money.

One factor in the success of this system that is understated in my opinion is that it is a "drain to waste" system. I have used recirculating and DTW on other grows and DTW wins hands down every time,commercial growers of flowers and other plants would never recirculate,once the nutes have passed through the medium the balance of the different components is not the same anymore and because we can't measure it the only way to assure your plants of consistency is by utilizing a DTW system. I did a DTW SCROG prior to my hempy SOG and the results were off the chart.

The part that sucked about growing this way is the hand watering,I suffer from severe arthritis and it is a literal pain to do this much watering,I long for the day 420fied releases his new journal outlining his drip system,I have looked at other tutorials but am waiting on 420 as he does a much more thorough job explaining and detailing the process. Also,getting at the 4th and 5th row of plants in the middle of the grow is very difficult regardless of my condition,you just can't see in there!

My biggest challenge believe it or not was proccurring enough bottles,I don't drink soda and ran adds on Craigslist offering 20 cents a bottle and only got two people to sell them to me,I ended up buying soda at the store and dumping it down the drain.

Anyway,this broken,rickety old man thanks you 420fied for taking the time to write these journals,it has been a life changer for me.

Hello Tee,

First let me say thank you for the kind words. It always makes me smile when I read about another grower having success in 2 Liter bottles. I'm glad that you were able to pull things from my journals and apply them to your own situation. It's always my hope that those reading what I write will be able to take something positive away.

I'm sorry to hear of the pain you're dealing with. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to the feedings. I have designed a drip system and plan to show illustrations and discuss it in the new journal, but for ME, hand feeding is the only way to go. Avoiding a 50 gallon res full of water and several 1/2" pipes and drip lines which could potentially spring leaks, gives me peace of mind. I'd never be able to get a good night's sleep or leave the space for more than 12 hours without worrying. I will gladly hand feed every plant, every day if necessary, in order to avoid worrying. I agree that when there are several rows of several plants that it's impossible to get a good luck at the bases of the 2 Liters which allow you to gauge the runoff. You've just got to roll with it. Personally, I don't mind feeding by hand but it is definitely labor intensive.

Like you, I purchased the 2Liters but I think of it this way.....even if we buy them and immediately dump the product, where else would we be able to buy pots for 69 cents?

I will be opening the new journal very soon and we will discuss all this and a lot more.

Good growing

Hey 420fied.

Just wanted to say thx for helping us all out with this thread. I've experimented with this SOG technique and have had some mild success(for me anyway), but I'm still getting myself into trouble with feeding/nutes and leaf damage etc...

Anyway, I think I asked earlier if you ever used a flood technique and I believe you said you still feed by hand/top.

I came across some information on technique at opengrow(sorry mods if this is party foul) talking about Mapito technique.
It uses mapito which in Europe is like recycled rockwool. For how relatively low imput these grows are the results are impressive to me. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a similar flood technique with these 2L's.

Would fluid/nutes/water "wick" up into the upper layers like rockwool would. I understand the osmosis type draw of fluid up the rockwool. I'm not sure if the pearl lite/vermiculite mix would be able to "communicate" or allow that wicking to occur. Sorry if I'm sounding retarded, but I'm bad with terminology :(. Basically, what I'm trying to say is if I flood 4-6" of water/nutes into a flood tray, will the plant get enough juices to the upper root area that might be up to 12-14" high, as opposed to the 6" of flood level??????

I'm also going to experiment with using the rockwool media like maybe Gro-wol as you can get big bales of it for decent pricing and it's re-usable after a semi-pia cleaning process. I think this is where I'll end up settling as making runs for huge bags of pearl lite, vermiculite, or SS#4 in the past was a PIA and conspicuous.

LoL, it seems like I'm always chasing that greener grass on the other side of the grow rooms

Thank you for the kind words. I've never heard of Mapito but I applaud you for always looking for ways to improve things. My system is far from perfect, but it's perfect for ME. I applaud growers who think outside the box and look for way to improve.

I have made some adjustments in my garden and the new space is shaping up. I plan to detail all the changes I have made in the upcoming journal.

Many people have asked me about the ability to flood a table full of 2Liters and here is my answer: When it comes to wicking the nutes up into the root zone like you spoke of, the Perlite/Vermiculite mixture does a wonderful job of that. That's what the purpose of the Verm in the mixture is. -- to act as the wick. Proof of this can be found easily. Sometime take a 2 liter bottle with the drain hole drilled in it and fill it up to the drain hole with water. Then, pour in some dry Perm/Verm medium. Come back 30 minutes later and much of the water that was laying in the res will be wicked up into the body of the 2Liter. So to answer your question, Yes.....the Perm/Verm mix works wonderfully in that respect.

The catch in the Flood and drain 2Liter is twofold in my opinion:

1. The tiny holes drilled in the 2Liters would allow water in but at what rate? How long do we need to flood the table for in order for each plant to be able to wick up enough nutes? Also, if flooded and not hand fed, would the 2" res at the bottom work as effectively? These are things I don't know the answer to and it would take some research to find out. Also, setting up a table to flood, would require some type of recirculating concept, pumps, lines, etc.

2. Perlite floats. If you flood 2Liters it is my contention that the entire medium/root ball may end up floating on you, especially if they're flooded too quickly. Again, this is all purely speculative and research would need to be done in order to be sure.

For me, hand feeding wins.

I buy my large Perlite and Vermiculite from a local Hydro shop. I know the owner personally so no worries there.

Keep trying new things and let me know how they work out for you. May all your buds be dense.

Good Growing

thx for the reply man :).

I'll report back on my attempts at hybridization of what I'm thinking of.

Yes there will be lines, pumps, resevoir etc...
Some added costs, so a negative there, and must have ppm/eds meter and ph too. I do so not a biggie there.

It's an interesting read on that technique and I really like yours too, so I'm still wondering in my head how they will merge if at all.

If it works well I will report back, or any stumbles can be reported too.

Hey 420fied...
I'm surprised you haven't used any CO2 with any of your set ups...not sure if I missed anything correct me if im wrong.

Cool no problem...not like you needed it anyway lol. I'll be doing a sog set up exactly like yours. Everything will be the same except I'll use jiffy pellets for clones instead of aero,and I'll use some co2. I'll be using some feminized OG Kush and some Blueberry. SOG with Me changed my life haha but good shit man...really!!

Cool no problem...not like you needed it anyway lol. I'll be doing a sog set up exactly like yours. Everything will be the same except I'll use jiffy pellets for clones instead of aero,and I'll use some co2. I'll be using some feminized OG Kush and some Blueberry. SOG with Me changed my life haha but good shit man...really!!

I hope that your results exceed your expectations. Those are very good strains you're going to run. If you run a journal, leave a link here so that I may share in your success. Best of luck.

;)

Thanks! I'll definitely be doing a journal and I'll be sure to leave a link. Right now just getting everything I need then I'll be on my way. Best of luck in your upcoming journal!! I'll be tuned in

Hey 420fied amazing stuff! Your threads have inspired me to start my own hempy grow which I will be documenting soon here on 420magazine.com. If you don't mind I have a few questions for you, if you would have pulled all 112 clones at once do you think they would have had trouble with light penetration (even after defoliation) later in flowering? I have a 1000w air cooled HPS and plan on squeezing 80-90 hempys in there under an enclosed 4' x 4' area. This will be my first grow so i'm just curious as to whether I should worry about them being too close. Also, I would like to be able to pull all these clones at once, exactly how long do you think you would have had to veg your mothers to pull all 112 clones at once? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Victor C

Back
Top Bottom