Confused! Illegal is ok but Legal is not? (Rant)

the irony is that is was legal to everyone until the early 1940's.

I am one of those people that did not know that. I thought it was just that no one cared that anyone was doing it.

Then I would stand outside of their office making sure I am on the public sidewalk and then proceed to pass out the literature and tell any and everyone who will listen my story.
Maybe starting with the press in an interview upon starting, you can even ask to have your last name withheld.

Your much braver then I. For now I will try this civilly with a personal meeting to discuss further. As of yet I have not had a phone call yet but I do understand things take time. But rest assured I am no longer letting people walk over me freely.

You shouldn't have to lie. It's not your fault. It's his.

Thanks sun, I just still can't get over him doing this. That was the last thing I thought would happen that day. Totally Unexpected!

Can you imagine if you were getting inspected in the most personal of areas and the doctor started laughing or making comments. Quite honestly, I couldn't ever trust a health professional that made me feel uncomfortable for whatever reason.

I know I can't see him again. When I did speak with the person that was actually there first attempt at fixing it suppose by suggesting another doctor. That's good advice on the off the record notes but it's still sad to attach fine print to words now..

Here is what I've come across for you. This post has had be not only upset for you, but researching as well. I hope that something here can help:

Can telling your doctor private medical information hurt you down the road? | Term Life Policy

Medical Privacy FAQ | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse

HIPAA Basics: Medical Privacy in the Electronic Age | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse

And this doesn't answer anything really, but I came along it in the search and it was still helpful to me, so I'm gonna share it:

NEJM -- Medical Marijuana and the Law

Don't worry! At least that's what I have been trying to teach myself lately. You just gotta learn to face things when you must and make a go one at a time. Thanks so much for the research and the compassion.

Lastly, I don't think your doctor that was mumbling under his breath is worth your money ..or your insurance money. As for an argument... I would mention to your insurance company that these script bills would be much higher without MM.

I definitely agree. Problem is this is a 3rd party insurance that picked me up outa the blue when I was going through some bad times. So I don't know if and what outcome would take place at the mention of mmj.

I definitely agree. Problem is this is a 3rd party insurance that picked me up outa the blue when I was going through some bad times. So I don't know if and what outcome would take place at the mention of mmj.

Im just saying if this prick doctor does inform your insurance of your "card" and your medication ... its good to have a prepared argument/rebuttal for any/all perceived issues.

So begin to put together a rational and non-confrontational defense of your actions. its much harder for anyone to justify being a prick to a rational, calm, and peaceful individual... just like your initial reaction.

I'm sooo with you Pres.

What you are explaining, I'm going through also. I can't "qualify" for standard insurance coverage currently. So have to be covered by some "bottom-feeder" company. Which then limits Doctor choices. My preexisting conditions are Hypertension and Cholesterol, both under control with medication.

It will be GREAT when the new health care laws (recently passed) will mandate all insurance companies to offer coverage for anyone, without regard for preexisting conditions! Granted we don't know what premiums will be, but at least we'll be able to have some choices in the marketplace, and hopefully competition will keep premiums in check.

Sorry for going off. Just wanted to agree with you here.

SF

Im just saying if this prick doctor does inform your insurance of your "card" and your medication ... its good to have a prepared argument/rebuttal for any/all perceived issues.

It is disgusting this halfwit MD is even threatening you with this. Make another appointment and when alone tell him he should not force unwanted sexual advances upon his patients. And now, you must inform his insurance company of their liability. Just kidding

I'm sooo with you Pres.

What you are explaining, I'm going through also. I can't "qualify" for standard insurance coverage currently. So have to be covered by some "bottom-feeder" company. Which then limits Doctor choices. My preexisting conditions are Hypertension and Cholesterol, both under control with medication.

It will be GREAT when the new health care laws (recently passed) will mandate all insurance companies to offer coverage for anyone, without regard for preexisting conditions! Granted we don't know what premiums will be, but at least we'll be able to have some choices in the marketplace, and hopefully competition will keep premiums in check.

SF
This is the unfortunate reality and if you believe the press NOBODY wants better healthcare. We all love getting fucked out of the very life we are discussing because like cats we get 9 lives after we die.
Despite politics and crap we will se healthcare reform. I just hope it goes far enough that people and corporations benefit and prosper.
Please stay cool and do not let negative people rent space in your head. :peacetwo::passitleft: have a hit
:nicethread:+ REP

So begin to put together a rational and non-confrontational defense of your actions. its much harder for anyone to justify being a prick to a rational, calm, and peaceful individual... just like your initial reaction.

That is a very good point, planned event's do tend to go better then the unexpected I suppose.

Sorry to hear your in a similar situation. I don't believe I have had to face any issues with pre-existing conditions, but I'm sure that's probably gonna be my next battle. No need for apologies, I have gotten alot of stress of my back here at 420.

It is disgusting this halfwit MD is even threatening you with this. Make another appointment and when alone tell him he should not force unwanted sexual advances upon his patients. And now, you must inform his insurance company of their liability. Just kidding

Now that's an idea... :laugh: I can just see his face the minute something like that would come out of my mouth. It would be worth saying it just to prove my point. haha I love it..

Some eye opening statistics. :peacetwo:

Interesting, I've never read anything like that yet!

Thanks so much for all your support everyone. :thanks:

Well I got a call today finally and as of now I will be going in there this week for a formal conversation and review of my medical records and doctor notes. The funny thing is, everything that was stated to me over the phone was "oh there must have been some misunderstanding and the doc said you just got upset and left without your meds". So being nice he decided to leave my case open for a few days to see if I would return. What a pal!

I find it so messed up that everything gets twisted and the little guy gets screwed. I mean heck he had the papers in front of my face and told me he would just drop the meds and now he notes I left without them. I was also told that there is no supervisor so to say and my doc is one of the owners of this organization. Go figure!

There were some discrepancies in some of my other records I got from them so needless to say that's all getting brought up now as well. It will be interesting to see all of his notes on this past visit. So needless to say I will go from there and see what comes up along the way.

:peacetwo:

I would still change doctors, or maybe jump to one of the other doctors in the office. Compassion can be everything when someone no longer has their health.

Also I would still look into filing some kind of "Official" complaint. With the medical board or etc. In doing so it gives his word little to no weight as he is the one submitting now. So you know he was out of line.
At a minimum I would tell him that I am not going to just lay down on this issue, and blatantly ask him what your options are and why he treated you so poorly.

Just because you didn't Kneel and submit to those draconian manipulation practices doesn't mean most people don't. Just one person can make a difference.
Of course maybe it was just his way of testing to see if you really need the meds or just want them to get high, but having some experience hearing doctors I've been around a lot use the techniques they are taught to try and verify if maybe someone is seeking rec. drugs, this is one I have never seen nor heard of.

You never mention your illness or meds etc. So I am going to suggest you look up Granny Storm Crows list.

Then look said list over and then email the sections that apply to you, or the whole list, such as reduced opioid use when combined with cannabis.
etc.
Maybe educating this person my help others in the future.

Well I got a call today finally and as of now I will be going in there this week for a formal conversation and review of my medical records and doctor notes.

I would give serious thought to having legal counsel present. Perhaps if you called around you could find a lawyer that would be willing to help in exchange for the publicity that such help would provide him.

The funny thing is, everything that was stated to me over the phone was "oh there must have been some misunderstanding and the doc said you just got upset and left without your meds". So being nice he decided to leave my case open for a few days to see if I would return. What a pal!

It might be helpful to start recording your calls (keep in mind that you have to make the fact that you are doing so known to the parties on the other end of the line).

I was also told that there is no supervisor so to say and my doc is one of the owners of this organization.

All doctors in a state are answerable to some official body in that state.

I would have serious concerns that he was more than willing to smile, wink, and tacitly give his approval to (by continuing to treat you as a patient without a problem AND without ever once attempting to "help" you stop) the fact that you were illegally using a drug the entire time that you weren't legal (greed at work here?) - but the minute that you state that you are legal he causes you problems. I only have your side and not his but from what I read I get the impression that he's a greedy SOB that is in his profession for the income and not out of a desire to help people and that he considers his own well-being (income) to be far more important than your (and by logical extension, any and all of his patients) health.

It is one thing for him to follow a given course of actions because he honestly believes that he is doing something for a patient's own good (whether or not his belief is ultimately proven to be true) but if this were the case he would have stated (verbally and in writing) that your use of marijuana before you became a legal user was unhealthy for you. To have a problem with it now that you are legal - and leaving a paper-trail - is tantamount to malpractice.

Yeah, I'd want a lawyer present. It would - regardless of the eventual outcome - cause "friction" between you and the office (no matter what is stated to you to the contrary). But given the "treatment" that you have received and especially considering the fact that this prick is a part-owner of this office, I would assume that you are already at that point anyway.

Good luck! It is only you in this particular specific case - but it is not only you that is being affected by this doctor's actions and by the actions of others like him that, sadly, exist in this world (and - because of the way that things stand now - prosper).

EDIT: Rated thread.

That's disappointing. And I would assume that it would be against the law for him to contact your insurance. Isn't their a confidentiality rule, unless you are doing something to harm another person, or yourself? And, in that case, I would assume he would alert the proper authorities so protect you (have you admitted someplace) or protect the other party that could be in harm (so alert the police). No place in there can I find a reason for him to alert you insurance company, unless you were there for a physical so that you could obtain a new insurance carrier.

Sorry for your prick doctor. If he sends this info to your insurer he leaves himself wide open for trouble unless he alters your medical records and I mean ALL medical records. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Hope you stay well.

PFirefly

Don't most people sign paperwork allowing their doctors and health insurers to share information?

I just figured it was in the fine print somewhere (I don't have health insurance so I can't look at my paperwork).

Don't most people sign paperwork allowing their doctors and health insurers to share information?

I just figured it was in the fine print somewhere (I don't have health insurance so I can't look at my paperwork).

Hello and nice to meet you. My point being is that the poster suggests that he was encouraged to keep smoking the mj and then went the legal route to do so. The doctor in question will have to explain to the insurers why he didn't report this earlier if he felt this was a particular problem. Either way he, the doctor, looks like a vindictive jerk unless he makes some new notations in some earlier medical records. This is how I understood the post. It's hard or imposible to be just a little bit pregnant. Or putting the tooth paste back in the tube might be a better way to look at it. Maybe I read and understood the post wrong, if I did I'm sorry.

Blessings to all,
PFirefly

Maybe I read and understood the post wrong, if I did I'm sorry.

Nah, it sounds like I misunderstood your post. What you meant was not that he could get into trouble for reporting things, but that he could get into trouble for reporting them now? That makes sense.

Again, the best of luck and hopes for your success to you, Pres, and please keep us informed.

I would still change doctors, or maybe jump to one of the other doctors in the office. Compassion can be everything when someone no longer has their health.

Also I would still look into filing some kind of "Official" complaint. With the medical board or etc. In doing so it gives his word little to no weight as he is the one submitting now. So you know he was out of line.
At a minimum I would tell him that I am not going to just lay down on this issue, and blatantly ask him what your options are and why he treated you so poorly.

Just because you didn't Kneel and submit to those draconian manipulation practices doesn't mean most people don't. Just one person can make a difference.
Of course maybe it was just his way of testing to see if you really need the meds or just want them to get high, but having some experience hearing doctors I've been around a lot use the techniques they are taught to try and verify if maybe someone is seeking rec. drugs, this is one I have never seen nor heard of.

You never mention your illness or meds etc. So I am going to suggest you look up and Google Granny Storm Crows list.
Granny Storm Crow's list - Google Search

Thanks MedicalNeed, I still think I will switch to a different doctor there. I can't really switch organizations as that would be more of a problem than a helper.

I would like to have some form of documented complaint on the subject so I agree with you there. I am very familiar with what one guy can do to a place or person. Call it medical at it's best but I swear when I became a faithful I must have lost at minimal 60-70% of my passiveness. So needless to say a few places have suffered my wrath.

As far as illness goes, this company has nothing to due with my registering for mmj although IMO they should be after all the drugs they shoved at me. I'm talking crazy doses too. It just seemed when something was not working all they ever did was quickly take the meds to the max. They had me on 1600mg of Seroquel, 3500mg of Depakote and so so many more and this was daily.

They claim a few things are going on with me but Bipolar is pre-dominant I suppose. Just way to many re-tards out there. :grinjoint:

I though about the test thing myself and I hope he wouldnt do that to many given the history with them. Thanks for the Granny Storm list! I have seen similiar ones but not that one.

I would give serious thought to having legal counsel present. Perhaps if you called around you could find a lawyer that would be willing to help in exchange for the publicity that such help would provide him.

Would be ideal but I am in a situation where I do not want certain friends and spouses family to know about mmj. Don't need anyone else judging me or expect handouts.

It might be helpful to start recording your calls (keep in mind that you have to make the fact that you are doing so known to the parties on the other end of the line).

Interesting you say that as it makes me think of something: My doc uses a recorder at the end of our sessions and I caught him one time rewinding to set the tape in the right position before he spoke. When he played the tape I could hear what I thought was our conversation. I just left it alone but I will inquire while I am there now as well. That would seem unethical if he didn't tell me correct?

I would have serious concerns that he was more than willing to smile, wink, and tacitly give his approval to (by continuing to treat you as a patient without a problem AND without ever once attempting to "help" you stop) the fact that you were illegally using a drug the entire time that you weren't legal (greed at work here?) - but the minute that you state that you are legal he causes you problems. I only have your side and not his but from what I read I get the impression that he's a greedy SOB that is in his profession for the income and not out of a desire to help people and that he considers his own well-being (income) to be far more important than your (and by logical extension, any and all of his patients) health.

Yeah that part baffled me as well. As said before he did make the comment "now I can't tell you to stop" If he knows that much you would think he is familiar with medical laws and should have never done what he done. I mean come on, you can't just pick and choose.

For now it will be myself and my spouse going there. I mostly want to review his chart notes for that visit and ah basically make my presence known. Again I don't want the attention of an attorney at this time but I most definitely will if needed.

It is one thing for him to follow a given course of actions because he honestly believes that he is doing something for a patient's own good (whether or not his belief is ultimately proven to be true) but if this were the case he would have stated (verbally and in writing) that your use of marijuana before you became a legal user was unhealthy for you. To have a problem with it now that you are legal - and leaving a paper-trail - is tantamount to malpractice.

You know when I was illegal he made a comment to me about how he can't recommend mj, but this was for legal reasons. I have also told him that if he thinks I need to quit, I will gladly stop for awhile but if I do not get help from the meds you are giving me I will start back up. He has never, never told me to stop using. Another reason this is just a shocker.

My doc uses a recorder at the end of our sessions and I caught him one time rewinding to set the tape in the right position before he spoke. When he played the tape I could hear what I thought was our conversation. I just left it alone but I will inquire while I am there now as well. That would seem unethical if he didn't tell me correct?

I don't know. Most doctors use a recorder for their patient notes (etc.) which is not unethical. I cannot say that recording sessions would be, either (many doctors do that as well, I've heard).

This is assuming that the recordings were not given or played to another person (for any reason that was not an accepted one, such as for consultation with another doctor (and he would be expected not to identify you). I suppose that if he was being sued by you that he could be expected to share session-recordings with his lawyer even though that would technically break patient confidentiality. But that is just a guess as I am neither a doctor or a lawyer (although I have been known to medicate and argue from time to time:grinjoint:).

Sorry for your prick doctor. If he sends this info to your insurer he leaves himself wide open for trouble unless he alters your medical records and I mean ALL medical records. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Hope you stay well.

Thanks PFirefly! I was told nothing has been sent anywhere as of now so I guess that's a good thing. :peace:

I don't know. Most doctors use a recorder for their patient notes (etc.) which is not unethical. I cannot say that recording sessions would be, either (many doctors do that as well, I've heard).

This is assuming that the recordings were not given or played to another person (for any reason that was not an accepted one, such as for consultation with another doctor (and he would be expected not to identify you). I suppose that if he was being sued by you that he could be expected to share session-recordings with his lawyer even though that would technically break patient confidentiality. But that is just a guess as I am neither a doctor or a lawyer (although I have been known to medicate and argue from time to time:grinjoint:).

Well I was thinking that because at the end when he does record he tells me first. So if he recorded me through the entire session that means he did not tell me. As you stated previously and as I thought myself, you must always inform the other party of the recording otherwise no good.

By the way I can medicate and argue out a point all day buddy! :smokin:
It's good for the soul! :grinjoint:

Wow, Isn't it too bad that you couldn't have just said, Hey, lets go outside and have a smoke on the 'peace pipe' and talk about it! or just give him a special brownie and tell him to take a chill pill. Your poor doctor appears to be stressed out and in need of some green stuff. I too thought this sort of thing was under the patient confidentiality rule as well to be honest I am not sure how I will ever address telling a doctor that I am eating thc goods almost daily so I can stay out of jail or the manor and not throw chairs myself.

Wow, Isn't it too bad that you couldn't have just said, Hey, lets go outside and have a smoke on the 'peace pipe' and talk about it! or just give him a special brownie and tell him to take a chill pill.

That would of been much better on me I can tell ya that. :yummy:

Well an update, I went in today to review the chart notes from that visit and just as I suspected everything is turned around to point on me and I mean everything. Some things were even made up. Seriously no joke people!

Like apparently I stormed out and I was asked to come back but refused and apparently I refused my meds as well. The lace fairy must have snuck in and laced my meds cause I don't remember any of that. :grinjoint:

So I got my rights book and complaint papers and also set up an appointment with the dr to confront him with the false paperwork and hear what he has to say about that. Should be interesting. Of course I had to promise my wife that I would play nice. (ie: flying chairs) :Rasta:

I was also told if I filed a complaint that would cause an investigation blah blah blah, they would need my photograph and basically cause me a whole lot of drama. You know why is that? They make everything so complicated you would rather bow down the jump through all the hoops. So stupid! Now there's another economy problem for ya, but that's for another argument. (TorturedSoul :smokin:)

So what would ya'll do given all my situations? I figure I would love to hear what he has to say when I confront him personally about the false statements before I will really know. I do see him tomorrow so kinda sweating out how to handle this the best way possibly.

This added BS is probably not what you need for your health.

Just go ahead and file a complaint.

Welcome to the Medical Board of California - Complaint Information

Find a new doc (easier said than done), and go punch the pillow for a few minutes.

Or as George's father did in Seinfeld, the Serenity Now Prayer works as well. :cheesygrinsmiley:

SF

Back
Top Bottom