Controlling Height

I am growing a full term outdoor that’s in a greenhouse when it rains and at night - but will need to finish up completely in the greenhouse once flowering. The house is 6” tall at its tallest and tapers down from the center.

I topped once and did some LST to open the center. There are now 8 main strong vertical branches that are nearing 3’. I was going to supercrop these mains at about 8” from the tops and tie back. Now I'm considering just topping these mains for better height control.
Does anyone have any experience with what is a better option for overall height control? I'm concerned as this plant is taking off and there are still a few months to veg.

Next week I will be uppotting to a big grow bag, just waiting on some mycorrhiza that arrives Tuesday. Once transplanted I will work on the height control. I was going to use a 20 Gal bag, now I think a 15 is better?

Thanks.

DSC00372.JPG

DSC00387.JPG

You have it correct for natural controlling height is to top and redirect plants growth to a bush which will require more topping and tying. Now another way is to add a trellis net That is what I use for my outdoors it also helps for heavy cola support. I get mine at Homedepot for around 5$ for one 5'x8' could get on amazon as well. Very easy to use with your area you could zip tie it to your leg polls. Then you make the plant grow outward using net to weave branches rather then allowing plant growing upward. That's just what I do and is a idea for you to consider. Google vigoro trellis net and you will see cheap options. I have two examples I hope you do not mind me posting pic of. I am sorry I do not have my pics of plants I scrogged I this computer but if needed to see I can get them.

This is topped vrs untopped
1.jpg

This is using a net to help support heavy colas
2.jpg

Using the net for height control to me is best for one main reason. You can train the branches a lot further out and have support. If you just tie them you can run the risk of plant not being able to support branch weight and snap with winds or just weight. Hope that helps I wish you the best take care...
:passitleft:

Thank you CO, your plants look great.
I'm looking to see what would work best and what others have done to slow vertical growth for awhile, topping or supercropping? I would like to avoid scrog netting if I can.
I should check with @Stunger as he had to keep shorter than what I need or want.

Does anyone have any experience with what is a better option for overall height control? I'm concerned as this plant is taking off and there are still a few months to veg.
I used a combination of topping, LST and supercropping to keep mine to a necessary 2 foot stealth limit. LST required a bunch of training wires/strings, topping works well too, and for some easy supercropping you can wrap a bit of tape around each jaw of a pair of pliers and gently but firmly use them to supercrop to maintain the height.
Using the net for height control to me is best for one main reason. You can train the branches a lot further out and have support.
Wonderful looking plants you have there CO!
I just wondered on the pic with the netting, it looks like it is providing some structural support but it doesn't seem to be doing much for the height as it looks like the plant has just been allowed to grow thru the netting regardless, but it is real nice looking beauty!

I used a combination of topping, LST and supercropping to keep mine to a necessary 2 foot stealth limit. LST required a bunch of training wires/strings, topping works well too, and for some easy supercropping you can wrap a bit of tape around each jaw of a pair of pliers and gently but firmly use them to supercrop to maintain the height.

Wonderful looking plants you have there CO!
I just wondered on the pic with the netting, it looks like it is providing some structural support but it doesn't seem to be doing much for the height as it looks like the plant has just been allowed to grow thru the netting regardless, but it is real nice looking beauty!
I thought I had explained it right sorry if I was miss understood. I was trying to say I do not have pictures of my trained scrogged plants on the computer I am on and I had a couple of pics of my net just doing cola support which it did very well when they got heavy with the strong winds and some rain. I was trying to explain the two different ways I use my nets for outdoors One for just cola support and the other for low level training. I have found without a net I was limited on how far I could train them outward and it made the branches very weak when trained out far. He said in a post he really dos not to run a net so that leaves topping and tying branches down or next time time the seeds or clones more into june later in summer time so less veg time. Oh and the picture was also just to show a topped vrs natural. You can also see the topped one on the right had more colas and did make more weight. Anyways I wish you all the best take care..

Thank you Stunger.. I'm going to top the 6 or 8 main branches and then supercrop as needed after that. There is still quite some veg time left and I am at over 50% of the height of the greenhouse now.

Back
Top Bottom