Couple of pics - Couple questions

pete2

This is starting to look like a jungle in here. I tried HST, but I think I started to late. 2 of them are slow growers so I topped the 2 bigger ones to slow them down so the other 2 might catch up, Don't think that worked to well. I'm told that they will grow 2 to 3 times as big as they are now. That's good, But I'm not sure the room is adequate for that. Since I want to put them into bloom in about 30 days, I don't know if I should top them again.
I guess what I'm asking is there anything that I can do now. Pruning,topping or training, things like that or do I need to just give them more room? Room is kinda an issue. I have only topped two of them once. The grow area I have is 30 inches x 48 inches. I can turn the 48 to 60 but don't know if my hood will still beable to give enough light. I think the hood is 13 x 11.

Any responces would be appreciated
08-17-2015_002.JPG
08-17-2015_001.JPG
08-13-15_003.JPG

:thanks::thumb::thanks:

Scrog can control a lot but I can't see any advantage to not flipping now. You can only grow bud in the area which receives light- the canopy-you have pretty well filled your space now.

If you think the plants might reach too close to the light by the end of bloom, then you should probably top them. If not, I agree with WC, you could flip to 12/12 whenever. If you can't flip them for another 30 days, then you could definitely top them down at least a couple inches and they would be fine in 30 days. Probably would only take a week or two to come back from that realistically.

Naturally I want to get as much bud as I can. Do you think if I trim some of the leaves off and top them and wait for about 30 more days before I flip them that in would help produce more bud? I value your opinion so please let me know what you think. Thanks

67 days in veg if i read right? Those girls are ready to flip. They will still stretch when they hit flower. Plants look great, should get lots of bud.

i agree with weasel and i guess i should have said flip them too i just figured that was implied ill show u a pic of two different scrogs i have going now both r low budget and were quiet easy to build u can watch videos on here or on you tube about scrog and in small ares scrog is going to be ur best bet for max yield of high quality buds i have never attempted a scrog b4 these two and they have turned out great i think basically u move the grow shoots to whatever hole u want them in tuck the shoots every couple of days

Doing a scrog is extremely easy. Basically it just provides something solid next to the upper limbs of the plant. That gives you something to tie/anchor/lean the branches against so you can arrange them how you want. Buds grow best in the light. Left on their own, especially in such a crowded situation, bud sites tend to get shaded by the surrounding foliage, or get heavy and sag down into the shaded depths of the jungle. A scrog just lets you arrange the budsites to mazimize the number of them that are in the area of the light. Without anything there to attach to - you can't do much arranging of the plants.

I'm not saying at all that you have to scrog, Pete. Just that it's going to be easier and less frustrating IMO for you to do that than it will be to do it another way. Because as it is now your plants are going to be crowded and therefore large areas will be in the shade - the sides of the plants won't have a chance to get any light, and things generally get a bit too tangled up together. You'll yield much better if you can spread the bud sites out as evenly as possible

High Pete2

You are going to have a mess in there for sure and in cases like yours this is what I've done in the past.

You would like the smaller ones to catch up correct? And you want to go another 30 days before flip? Then do more than top the larger ones. Cut back the tallest branches by a couple of nodes or what it takes to get them closer to the height of the smaller ones. If they are growing that vigorously they will put lots of energy into getting the side branches growing more. You can also top the side branches and they will start growing all the nodes along them giving you more bud sites that will grow into small colas when you flower. The energy directed into that will retard upward growth quite a bit.

In 2 weeks the bigger plants will fill out in the middle sections, the tops will be lush and the other stems will be thicker and stronger too.
They will also be your biggest yielders as well.

And the smaller ones will have caught up and if they aren't topped all that much they will have larger colas on top but overall not yield near the amount the big ones will.

Using a screen whether you are doing a real ScroG or just letting the branches grow through so when they bud they'll have support would be awkward in your space I think unless you have good access from the sides and back. Does work very well so you don't have to have 50 strings hanging down to hold up the colas or lean everything against the wall like I've done often in the past. :)

You might want to think about lollipopping the smaller plants now too. Removing the lower branches that won't produce much anyway will send more energy to the upper part of the plant where with the better lighting it will grow a lot faster. Cut lower branches off leaving one node from the main stem or at least an inch of branch sticking out. The nd seals off faster than cutting flush to the stem and helps prevent any infection. I also like to leave those little nodes in case I decide to reveg after I crop the plant.

If you want more small plants and cut big bits off the taller plants you could clone the cuttings and have them vegging and ready to flower by the time those are done and gone. But that's another topic altogether.

L8r

High Pete2

You are going to have a mess in there for sure and in cases like yours this is what I've done in the past.

You would like the smaller ones to catch up correct? And you want to go another 30 days before flip? Then do more than top the larger ones. Cut back the tallest branches by a couple of nodes or what it takes to get them closer to the height of the smaller ones. If they are growing that vigorously they will put lots of energy into getting the side branches growing more. You can also top the side branches and they will start growing all the nodes along them giving you more bud sites that will grow into small colas when you flower. The energy directed into that will retard upward growth quite a bit.

In 2 weeks the bigger plants will fill out in the middle sections, the tops will be lush and the other stems will be thicker and stronger too.
They will also be your biggest yielders as well.

And the smaller ones will have caught up and if they aren't topped all that much they will have larger colas on top but overall not yield near the amount the big ones will.

Using a screen whether you are doing a real ScroG or just letting the branches grow through so when they bud they'll have support would be awkward in your space I think unless you have good access from the sides and back. Does work very well so you don't have to have 50 strings hanging down to hold up the colas or lean everything against the wall like I've done often in the past. :)

You might want to think about lollipopping the smaller plants now too. Removing the lower branches that won't produce much anyway will send more energy to the upper part of the plant where with the better lighting it will grow a lot faster. Cut lower branches off leaving one node from the main stem or at least an inch of branch sticking out. The nd seals off faster than cutting flush to the stem and helps prevent any infection. I also like to leave those little nodes in case I decide to reveg after I crop the plant.

If you want more small plants and cut big bits off the taller plants you could clone the cuttings and have them vegging and ready to flower by the time those are done and gone. But that's another topic altogether.

L8r

Agreed. I look at topping differently than most people. When I suggested "topping" I mean cutting 6-12" off some of those branches. I'm of the opinion that it's better to top the plant in a place where it'll grow out four or five tops rather than just two anyway.

For example, I would top this plant at the bigger red circle where most people would top at the smaller red circle. That way, I end up with about four tops. If I topped at the smaller circle, then I would only end up with two tops probably and I would be forced to top the plant again after those tops grow back to make four. With this method, I only have to top each plant two separate times and end up with around 16 - 20 tops - with only five actual cuts.

IMG_054732.JPG

I agree with you guys too- my veg room looks more crowded than this and I'm always hacking, slicing, bending and supercropping them into submission.
If, Pete, you really want those little plants to catch up, and want to wait 30 more days- and maybe you have your good reasons then of course you can.
More time will give you better root systems so your plants might be healthier and maybe will produce more in that space. But overall- especially for a first time grower. (Sorry. P if you're not a first time grower I thought I read that somewhere) - I don't see much advantage in delaying flowering for another month.
Of course I could be wrong and I can tell that Omu and Iwltfum both know their shit better than me- but I would flip now if I was just learning the basics, and save myself a month of vegging time for little difference in yield.

This isn't to contradict or confuse the issue- just tossing that 2c into the great advice you've already gotten. Whatever you do you're going to have a full house at this point. Good luck mate :thumb:

No I fully agree with that WC. I would flip now too. I just had to clarify what kind of "topping" I was talking about in case pete does have his reasons for waiting.

It's not that I can't flip them for 30 more days, It's that I want to get the largest yield I can. What I'm thinking is cutting the larger leaves from the top to let more light get to the smaller branches and maybe topping them as well. The 30 days was to let them recover. I have never top anything a couple of inches before, but if I do top them I will listen to your advice and cut them about 2 inches. You have been very helpful with this and previous problems I have encountered. Can't thank you enough.

I've never topped anything like that before. Do you think it is to late to do that now? My plan was to cut several leaves from the top to let more light to the lower branches. Top them and wait another 30 days to flip them. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom