Couple questions about my babies

RoadLizard

Hi all - I have three seedlings going in my Mr Grow Pro that are a little over two weeks old. So far they seem to be good. The soil is Fox Farm Ocean and I am not using any nutes since this soil has good stuff in it already. I find Im watering once a day, the soil gets dry enough so I water as needed which is once a day. Heres what I want to know:

1) Seeing as I have these going in a PC Grow Box, how much longer should I veg? There are two AK-48s and one Sour Diesel. Dont know the sex yet either. Obviously I dont want them too tall. Im using 24/0 right now and plan on staying there the whole veg. I will be using a scrog screen very soon.

2) Is the container they are in be good enough for TWO of the plants at most once flowering starts? Id rather not transplant them again if possible. I say two since chances are at least one be will be a boy and get tossed.

3) Do they look fairly healthy at this this point? I thought so but its my first grow.

BTW - Im using Four 23watt CFL's @ 5000K degrees temp for veg. Keeping the lights about an inch to two away from the tops of the plants.

See pic below. Thanks!!!!

Babies48.JPG

3) Do they look fairly healthy at this this point? I thought so but its my first grow.

Hello RL

They look healthy but I already see signs of too much nitrogen. This will start to make your plants look wilted even though you are watering them, don't water every day. OF will fry your plants ... they will look fine now but suffer in the long run. Since they will be to crowded in that container I suggest a transplant into Happy Frog removing as much OF as you can without damaging the root systems. Give each one their own pot (make this the last transplant into big pots or whatever size you will use) don't give nutes for a week at least and then feed lightly

Good Luck

Hello RL

They look healthy but I already see signs of too much nitrogen. This will start to make your plants look wilted even though you are watering them, don't water every day. OF will fry your plants ... they will look fine now but suffer in the long run. Since they will be to crowded in that container I suggest a transplant into Happy Frog removing as much OF as you can without damaging the root systems. Give each one their own pot (make this the last transplant into big pots or whatever size you will use) don't give nutes for a week at least and then feed lightly

Good Luck

Thanks for the info - Im actually using Fox farm Original Soil , not the Ocean stuff if that matters. I checked the bag :)

As for the watering, Ill chill on that too a little even though the soil does seem to take it and feels dry.

I was hoping to wait until I determine sex before transplanting again. I can only do two max in the PC grow case. Should I start flowering in another two weeks or sooner?

hey there RL,

yeah i would take Buckshots advice and transplant them into their own pots, imho it is always best to have their own pots in soil as they wont compete with each other.

you SHOULD be able to see signs of preflowers after 4-5 weeks(approx) above the 4th nodes+ but this is not 100% the case with all plants.

in my experience, if you make up a great soil mix you shouldnt need to feed at all until 2-3 months and then only diluted, in my own soil grows i use about 70-75 indoor(bug/insect free) soil mix including wetting agents etc, i add to that 20% worm castings, 5% perlite/clay(for added drainage) 5% compost(home made organic). into this i also mix in a tablespoon of boost fert, dolomite lime(a good handful-20-30litre pots to balance ph) and mix really well. i then rake into top soil a small handful of blood and bone(high in N) and sprinkle another .5 tblspn of fert around edges of pot... with this mix i dont need to feed my plants at all until i turn then over to 12/12, approx 2-3 months later-depending on hoow big i wanna grow them.

also, in my experience, the time to turn your plants over to 12/12 depends entirely on:
1) how much grow space do you have??
and
2)how big are the pots you will finally end up with- how much root space will be available for your plants to grow into.

no point in trying to grow 5 foot plants in a 4 foot grow space and no point in trying to grow 5 foot plants in 5 litre soil pots etc etc.. SO depending on how big your grow space is and the size of the final pots will give you an idea of what you are capable of doing with your plants. for e.g. if you have 2 metre tent you can veg them right up to 1 metre tall allowing you a good foot-2foot between your light(MH ? HPS) and the tops of your plants, and room for the actual light itself.. considering you are using cfl lighting space between lights and plants is not such an issue but space still determines what is a practical size to vegetate to.

wish you all the best with your strains! and i look forward to seeing how they turn out! :D
Peace:peace::Namaste:

Great stuff, alkhemist. I was hoping to wait on transplanting until sex is determined but I can do it sooner.

As for height and size, well, I only have a Mr GrowPro PC case for space. Its 26.5 inches tall - taller than most other PC cases but still compact. I was gonna let them get about 8" to 10" tall and then flip the switch if that makes sense. Im going to use a scrog screen too to help spread out the wealth a little.

Also - with three of them in there, it wont be as easy to transplant. Should I just carefully lift them out of there or still try and dump each one out indivudually? Just dont wanna shock em too badly.

Back
Top Bottom