Cross pollination with non weed pollen

As far as I know, cross pollinating plants is typically dependent on how closely related the pollen maker and flower maker are related. I think you need to be in the same family at least. Weed is in the Cannabaceae family. All three main species (indica, sativa, ruderalis) have all been interbred. I'm not sure about the others

Tomatoes are actually in the potato family and more specifically the nightshade genus. A tomato (sadly) can't pollinate a potato (vine-ripened tater tots, anyone? :love:). A tomato can't even cross pollinate within its own genus (which is good because I have deadly nightshade very near my tomatoes :D )

Someone with more plant knowledge than I will hopefully add to this. I assume it has something to do with number of chromosomes like in animals.

Interesting question which made me do a google search for basic chromosome info on plants. It seems that most plant families have different numbers of chromosomes which probably is what keeps cross pollination from creating entirely new specie every season.

BTW, I just tried to go to the link on your grow and it does not seem to be set up right.

Interesting question which made me do a google search for basic chromosome info on plants. It seems that most plant families have different numbers of chromosomes which probably is what keeps cross pollination from creating entirely new specie every season.

BTW, I just tried to go to the link on your grow and it does not seem to be set up right.
Hey, thanks for pointing that out. I think it's fixed now.

I love have cannabis can just have extra ployploid chromosomes and not completely fail. HUMANS CAN'T DO THAT. We can barely handle one extra sex chromosome let alone a whole 'nother set. Nature is freaky <3

Back
Top Bottom