Daily use of marijuana raises risk of heart disease by 34%

Peat Phreak

Really super legit Bad news for daily tokers -

Using marijuana every day can raise a person’s risk of coronary artery disease, or CAD, by a third compared with those who never partake, a new study found.

“A growing body of evidence suggests that cannabis is not entirely without harm and may actually cause cardiovascular disease,” said lead study author Dr. Ishan Paranjpe, a resident physician at Stanford University. The study — which has not yet been published -— will be presented Sunday at the annual meeting of the American College of Cardiology.

“Thus, the decision to use cannabis must be carefully weighed against the potential for serious heart disease,” Paranjpe said.

They found a substance in soybeans that might prevent this. Hopefully the soy milk I've been drinking helped a little. Not sure if it works that way. Maybe getting blazed every day isn't such a great idea?

So cannabis might be able to heal the heart chakra @Sister Vee

But it's actually damaging the physical heart according to medical science.

interesting. not sure i'd go to town on it yet.

i've only known of one near daily smoker that had a heart attack in my circle of friends. there were other factors of course, such as habitual tobacco smoking.

i know a number of non smokers or very occasional users that have had heart attacks or heart disease. by far and away the daily or habitual users i know mostly fall in to a bit healthier overall category.

they seem to carry a little less weight as well, which could explain a bit. it is weird when you think about the stereotype of the stoner gorging on junk food. it could be just a coincidence among my friends though.

edit : i've known a few coke users who had heart attacks. that happens (un)surprisingly often. i'm certain that's what one of my friends was up to when he had one.

What you just described is a very small sample of anecdotal evidence. On the other hand, the info I provided is based on a very large sample that was evaluated scientifically. Big difference.

They actually determined THC causes inflamation which causes plaque to accumulate in the arteries. Other risk factors were accounted for such as obesity, lack of excercise, etc.

What you just described is a very small sample of anecdotal evidence. On the other hand, the info I provided is based on a very large sample that was evaluated scientifically. Big difference.

grain of salt.

They actually determined THC causes inflamation which causes plaque to accumulate in the arteries. Other risk factors were accounted for such as obesity, lack of excercise, etc.

yeah i read that. i'm just saying it doesn't seem to bear out in my experience.

they are trying to link it to the same underlying health issues as tobacco smoke in the article. i find that a bit sly. i doubt the factors or risk are near as serious as tobacco smoke. that angle is not exactly new news either. it's been used in the past as a reason to continue to outlaw cannabis.

And because this is THC related, it applies to edibles too. It's not just about smoking.

first they allude to "many of the same substances found in tobacco smoke " without mentioning thc at all here

Marijuana smoke also delivers many of the same substances researchers have found in tobacco smoke — these substances are harmful to the lungs and cardiovascular system, the agency says.

next they did not carve edibles out from smoking and so can't rule on method

Notably, the new study was not able to tease out whether different types of cannabis use — such as consuming edibles versus smoking weed, for example — made a difference in a person’s risk of developing CAD.

and then sleight of hand link and casually blame thc here

However, since THC gets to the brain faster when smoked, the researchers argue future research should investigate various usage methods and their impact on the heart

the way it's written i suspect both smoke and mirrors.
bold and italics mine.

They further showed that THC promotes inflammation and hallmarks of atherosclerosis in human endothelial cells grown in the laboratory.

Finally, laboratory mice bred to have high cholesterol levels and fed a high-fat diet developed significantly larger atherosclerosis plaques when injected with THC at levels comparable to smoking one marijuana cigarette per day than did control animals.

THC binds to a receptor called CB1 on cells in the human brain, heart and vasculature system. The receptor recognizes naturally occurring cannabinoids, or endocannabinoids, which regulate mood, pain perception, immune function and metabolism. But frequent marijuana use causes inappropriate activation of CB1, which can cause inflammation and atherosclerosis, and it is associated with obesity, cancer and diabetes.

But frequent marijuana use causes inappropriate activation of CB1, which can cause inflammation and atherosclerosis, and it is associated with obesity, cancer and diabetes.

that's what i was referring to. i'm glad you pulled that quote out. they associate cannabis use and thc with everything else related to the heart issue. so it's a chicken and egg thing.

did the cannabis use cause the obesity, cancer, diabetes, directly, or would they have been present without ? there's more than one lifestyle choice, and an individual genetic lottery effecting the outcome.

i think the cell work with the mice is more convincing. though it does not always apply higher up the food chain.

personally i believe there may be a comorbidity, but cannabis alone would not be the deciding factor. i would hazard a few other things need to be in the mix.

my own personal background includes a family history of both genetic hypoglycemia and diabetes. i've been constantly tested from a preteen age. i've been smoking weed since 13. daily since almost my early 20's. literally now for decades.

my doc says i'm about far healthier than my median age group by most metrics. i continue to have positive outcomes. i totally admit that could be just genetic luck. just so many other folk i know have been hit. i'm right in that age group.

edit : at any rate i'm not quitting and it doesn't scare me.

levels comparable to smoking one marijuana cigarette per day than did control animals.

Well this is a bit of relief. The cannabis I’ve grown is so ridiculous I can only handle smoking 5 or 6 hits. I smoke maybe half a joint a day. Now when it’s dispensary stuff or the crap my MIL grows it becomes exponentially more. Yet another reason to stay growing my own

The cannabis I’ve grown is so ridiculous I can only handle smoking 5 or 6 hits

Well you sure are growing a lot of the devil's lettuce for such a light toker. But the bad news is the risk is still much higher than for the squares that don't partake.

But don't worry. Soy based pills backed by big pharma will be on the market in no time.

1-s2.0-S0092867422004433-fx1.jpg

Then we can get back to consuming massive quantities of cannabis for medicinal purposes!

I can virtually guarantee this "study" is complete bullshit bought and paid for by some pharmaceutical company.

Just one part they listed here.
"First, it increases heart rate and blood pressure immediately after each use, according to the CDC."

This is basically bullshit, the main reason that I consume cannabis daily is literally to LOWER MY BLOOD PRESSURE which it does better than anything else can.
Your first hit or so of cannabis will usually increase heart rate VERY BRIEFLY for like 2 to 3 minutes from like 67bpm up to about 74bpm which is literally the same or less as a person in very good physical condition walking up a few steps.
And this last just a couple minutes then your rate actually goes down to what it was prior or even lower.
And within 5 minutes or less your blood pressure which never rises will lower by several points because cannabis is in fact a vasodilator.
I have taken my pressure and pulse hundreds of times during the past 10 years as a self done study of my own.

This is just one example where I know for a fact they are purposely lying.

There are no links to heart disease nor lung disease associated with cannabis use.
You can not trust what so called researchers say anymore. They are all bought by big corporations to lie.

I can virtually guarantee this "study" is complete bullshit bought and paid for by some pharmaceutical company.

Just one part they listed here.
"First, it increases heart rate and blood pressure immediately after each use, according to the CDC."

This is basically bullshit, the main reason that I consume cannabis daily is literally to LOWER MY BLOOD PRESSURE which it does better than anything else can.
Your first hit or so of cannabis will usually increase heart rate VERY BRIEFLY for like 2 to 3 minutes from like 67bpm up to about 74bpm which is literally the same or less as a person in very good physical condition walking up a few steps.
And this last just a couple minutes then your rate actually goes down to what it was prior or even lower.
And within 5 minutes or less your blood pressure which never rises will lower by several points because cannabis is in fact a vasodilator.
I have taken my pressure and pulse hundreds of times during the past 10 years as a self done study of my own.

This is just one example where I know for a fact they are purposely lying.

There are no links to heart disease nor lung disease associated with cannabis use.
You can not trust what so called researchers say anymore. They are all bought by big corporations to lie.

This is pretty anecdotal though.. it elevates my heart rate and blood pressure both for 45-60 minutes then lingers in my blood pressure for a few hours afterward. However, this is offset by the fact that it helps keep my stress down which elevates my heart and blood pressure much more so than the consumption itself.

I know this because I was having blood pressure problems and was taking my readings at home. However like I said, anecdotal.. it may effect you differently in the same way caffeine and amphetamines make me a tired zombie

This is pretty anecdotal though.. it elevates my heart rate and blood pressure both for 45-60 minutes then lingers in my blood pressure for a few hours afterward. However, this is offset by the fact that it helps keep my stress down which elevates my heart and blood pressure much more so than the consumption itself.

I know this because I was having blood pressure problems and was taking my readings at home. However like I said, anecdotal.. it may effect you differently in the same way caffeine and amphetamines make me a tired zombie
You clearly must have ADD where speed slows you down.
My heart rate and blood pressure both go down within minutes.
BP dramatically goes down.
My normal BP for years, especially prior to going Vegan was 140/90 and after a few hits will go down to an average of 117/70.
Works like a charm everytime

Really super legit Bad news for daily tokers -

Using marijuana every day can raise a person’s risk of coronary artery disease, or CAD, by a third compared with those who never partake, a new study found.

“A growing body of evidence suggests that cannabis is not entirely without harm and may actually cause cardiovascular disease,” said lead study author Dr. Ishan Paranjpe, a resident physician at Stanford University. The study — which has not yet been published -— will be presented Sunday at the annual meeting of the American College of Cardiology.

“Thus, the decision to use cannabis must be carefully weighed against the potential for serious heart disease,” Paranjpe said.

They found a substance in soybeans that might prevent this. Hopefully the soy milk I've been drinking helped a little. Not sure if it works that way. Maybe getting blazed every day isn't such a great idea?

So cannabis might be able to heal the heart chakra @Sister Vee

But it's actually damaging the physical heart according to medical science.
Well I guess I’ll die happy because I love 💕 to wake n bake! CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom