Daily use of marijuana raises risk of heart disease by 34%

Body Wisdom dictates that there are no ECS receptors on the Cardiac & Respiratory cells in the brain stem....this is just one of the reasons for the high safety margin of the plant.

Feeling so blessed to receive a message from Sister Vee <3

However, I have some science here that contradicts your Body Wisdom.

The CB1 receptor is mainly expressed in the brain in areas of primary sensory and motor regions as well as areas of memory, cognition, and emotion, all of which overlap the areas of the autonomic nervous system and neuroendocrine system [1].

Kano et al. suggested that the highest levels of CB1 receptor binding were observed in the olfactory bulb, as well as in the regions of the dentate gyrus, the lateral striatum, the globus pallidus, the entopeduncular nucleus, the substantia nigra (SN) pars reticulata, and the cerebellar molecular layer [2].

Moderate levels were found in the frontal, parietal, and cingulate regions, in the amygdala, in the ventromedial hypothalamus, in the parabrachial nucleus, in the nucleus of the solitary tract, and in the spinal dorsal horn [2].

Low levels of CB1 receptor were found at the level of the thalamus and at the level of the brain stem nuclei [2].

But it doesn't matter what kind of receptors the brain stem has. THC is in the bloodstream. THC is causing inflamation in the arteries which causes plaque build up. Which causes coronary artery disease at a rate of 34% higher than not using weed daily according to the study in the OP.

Heavy daily users probably have more than a 34% increase in risk. They lumped all daily users into one group that averaged out to 34%. There is probably a big difference between 1 gram a day and 5 grams a day. Some people use more than that.

Moderate levels were found in the frontal, parietal, and cingulate regions, in the amygdala, in the ventromedial hypothalamus, in the parabrachial nucleus, in the nucleus of the solitary tract, and in the spinal dorsal horn [2].
Holy Crap!!!! I think I just peed a little bit!!!!! :thedoubletake: :hmmmm::nervous-guy:I think I better go watch cartoons for a little while!!!!:laugh:

Holy Crap!!!! I think I just peed a little bit!!!!! :thedoubletake: :hmmmm::nervous-guy:I think I better go watch cartoons for a little while!!!!:laugh:
I prolly burn 🔥 a 1/2 gram daily in my 1 hitter and been doing so for 20 + years. And I’m sure I’m going to die but the chances of it being that or something else doesn’t really matter because nobody gets out of life alive! At least I’ll die happy 😊. CL🍀

Really super legit Bad news for daily tokers -

Using marijuana every day can raise a person’s risk of coronary artery disease, or CAD, by a third compared with those who never partake, a new study found.

“A growing body of evidence suggests that cannabis is not entirely without harm and may actually cause cardiovascular disease,” said lead study author Dr. Ishan Paranjpe, a resident physician at Stanford University. The study — which has not yet been published -— will be presented Sunday at the annual meeting of the American College of Cardiology.

“Thus, the decision to use cannabis must be carefully weighed against the potential for serious heart disease,” Paranjpe said.

They found a substance in soybeans that might prevent this. Hopefully the soy milk I've been drinking helped a little. Not sure if it works that way. Maybe getting blazed every day isn't such a great idea?

So cannabis might be able to heal the heart chakra @Sister Vee

But it's actually damaging the physical heart according to medical science.
What a bunch of horseshit.

the real metric is what percentage of those with known CAD are also daily users, and whether the occurrence is larger than in a control group.

this reminds me a lot of the alarmist report this past summer telling everyone they had to stop barbecuing due to life endangering carcinogens. yeah that went over big too.

none of this is bubbling up to the national media or news. WTOP doesn't strike me as a pulitzer prize pillar of journalism.

none of this is bubbling up to the national media or news. WTOP doesn't strike me as a pulitzer prize pillar of journalism.
The article from WTOP is condensed from an on-line article on the CNN website.

I figure that tomorrow evening or Monday, after the study is released, we will start to see more start to pop up on national media and news.

this reminds me a lot of the alarmist report this past summer telling everyone they had to stop barbecuing due to life endangering carcinogens. yeah that went over big too.

Well, charred meat is a verified carcinogen. The burnt part specifically.

https://wjpr.s3.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com/article_issue/1567750148.pdf

ABSTRACT

Intake of grilled or barbecued meat is popular
which leads to the occurrence of cancer due to the carcinogen like
HCA, HAA and PAH. HCA, HAA and PAH are found to be potent
chemical carcinogens especially in case of colon, breast cancers.

Due to exposure of high temperature during grilling or barbecueing meat
enzymatic reaction takes place leads to formation of carcinogens. This
can also be overcome either by limiting the intake of such diets or reduce the temperature by
pre cooking in microwave oven or removing the charred part.

I can guarantee this study is being funded by entities that stand to profit by spreading propaganda that cannabis is harmful.
Therefore I personally couldn't careless what their conclusions are.

There are very few legit research studies anymore as big corporations just purchase the outcomes they want.

When I was at Scripps several of us were approached by ExxonMobil to head very well funded climate change research to muddy the water.
The FDA gets paid by drug companies to OK drugs that are flat out harmful and they know it, everything has become all about the money.

Cannabis has never killed anyone and no BS research is going magically make it harmful after 1000s of years.
Spot ON!!! only their dangerous synthetic isolates will kill people because of the way they are engineered to kill

I believe the soy bean thing to help. Soy lecithin used in edibles such as coco oil is indeed an over the counter medication used to help prevent high cholesterol. Lecithin itself is a fat emulsifier. That would lead me to believe that it would help reduce harmful plaque in arteries.

There’s billions of dollars in making weed illegal and harmful to our health. Until society and the government get their heads out of their asses there will always be studies of the great harm of cannabis. Imho CL🍀
Exactly my thought. Alcohol makes lots of people and states money. Weed use takes away from that. Legalization using private dispensaries can also, say if you’re NH and sell alcohol via state owned stores. Now NH wants to be the seller if NH legalizes recreational weed. 🙄 Sure state employees handling & selling nugs. Like that’ll ever happen. It’s a delay tactic to keep control of the money from state liquor stores…. 🙄 and for recreational weed, if ever legal in NH, the state will push to keep some of the lost alcohol revenue. Follow the money honey.

Yeah, so this thread got moved from "Cannabis facts and info" to "General 420 talk". Pretty sad state of affairs when "Healing the Heart Chakra with Cannabis" is considered to be "Cannabis facts and info", but actual medial information from doctors and scientists is not.

🤦‍♂️

My take is that we will die from something, weed cant be great for your body BUT as us old timers know we haven't lost 1 in 3 of our friends. Up until the last couple of years most of the smokers wouldn't tell there Dr they smoked and I still wont tell them. That makes study's like this very flawed. Live life the way you chouse you aren't getting out of it alive

BUT as us old timers know we haven't lost 1 in 3 of our friends.

Do you personally know the medical status of 1000 people that have used weed daily for a long time? Because that is the minimum sample size for statistical relevance.

This is why anecdotal experiences often contradict what science finds. The sample size is too small to be a good representative for millions of people.

For example, I have known hundreds of people that smoke(d) ciggarrettes, but don't know anyone that got lung cancer from it. It would be very wrong to assume smoking tobacco doesn't cause cancer simply based on what happened to people that I know.

Yeah, so this thread got moved from "Cannabis facts and info" to "General 420 talk". Pretty sad state of affairs when "Healing the Heart Chakra with Cannabis" is considered to be "Cannabis facts and info", but actual medial information from doctors and scientists is not.
Do you personally know the medical status of 1000 people that have used weed daily for a long time? Because that is the minimum sample size for statistical relevance.

This is why anecdotal experiences often contradict what science finds. The sample size is too small to be a good representative for millions of people.

For example, I have known hundreds of people that smoke(d) ciggarrettes, but don't know anyone that got lung cancer from it. It would be very wrong to assume smoking tobacco doesn't cause cancer simply based on what happened to people that I know.
So far I have yet to read anywhere that this study or any article reporting on the study has claimed that smoking weed will kill anyone. So far all that we are reading is that the doctors and medical people who took part in this study feel that using weed, especially smoking, will increase the possibilities of heart or cardio related problems by 34%.

Sitting in a wheelchair for the rest of our lives because of a stroke is not pleasant. Nor is laying in a bed in a senior citizen's home because our heart starts to cause paralyzing pain even if we walk to the bathroom to take a piss is not pleasant.

Knowing that a lifestyle activity increases the possibility of a miserable end of life allows us to make better decisions on our own end of life.

Imagine what the reaction would be if doctors or medical professionals knew that there was a 34% increase in the chance of heart attack and told no one for another 10 years. We would then hear that doctors should be punished for failing to tell the public so that individuals could make their own decisions whether to continue or stop an activity.

I figure that tomorrow evening or Monday, after the study is released, we will start to see more start to pop up on national media and news.

unless they dig up a florida man story.

this bubbled up mostly because a third string local news program was facing a slow day and needed filler. cnn picked it up from a general press release and did not think it was notable enough to include in an actual broadcast. the baby newsroom grabbed it and ran with it from there.

Well, charred meat is a verified carcinogen. The burnt part specifically.

it's the alarmist approach that is ridiculous. humans have been eating meat cooked over fire since the first time we ever cooked anything. it's literally the first thing we used, for millennia, and continue to this day.

following the logic we'd all be extinct by now. which would save us the painful death from coronary issues we are all supposed to succumb to now.

Yeah, so this thread got moved from "Cannabis facts and info" to "General 420 talk".

i pretty much don't bother with the forum sub-heads.

Pretty sad state of affairs when "Healing the Heart Chakra with Cannabis" is considered to be "Cannabis facts and info", but actual medical information from doctors and scientists is not.

i wouldn't read too much into it. could be just waiting til the actual medical evidence means something.

it's notable the original cnn blurb cites a risk when there is a known underlying condition, while the local news story and subsequent stories dumb it down to a general risk for all cannabis users on the whole.

to me that seems enough to move it from facts and information for now at least.

Which scientific article? So far all we have is a condensed version of the report on a study.

i followed the links through, it's odd that no one links to the original study, at least that i could find. cnn winds up citing another of their own articles which is no evidence at all.

the base of the original cnn piece is a rehash of stuff that is already known. the fact smoked weed has compounds that smoked tobacco, or smoked anything has, is not news. it's been known for some time. same with the fact it can cause a mild arrhythmia. again, most smoked anything has a similar effect.

there likely won't be anything behind it more than what has already been observed. they may get to the bottom of which compound causes what, but i'll bet there's no increase in most folks inherent risk.

Back
Top Bottom