Deep Water Culture Growing Q & A

Re: Stealth Hydroponics Deep Water Culture Growing Q & A

question!

I've been following the Deep Water Culture walk through that Roseman has so graciously been providing us (great read so far btw). A couple times its mentioned to "take out" the water pump at some point. Is the tube feeding only for the veg stage? I thought it was in for the whole grow, but apparently I missed something in my studies.

I haven't started yet. Still patiently getting my ducks in a row. :nomo:

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Thanks again, they all don't ship outside the USA or Canada. I'm thinking that i might have to make 1. What is the best flow rate to go for. I could adjust each 1 with 1 of those valves, put it into a jug & time how long to get a liter, then match them all. What do you think is the idea rate for say a minutes flow?

Again your help is appreciated.

2 gph or just a slight trickle.

question!

I've been following the Deep Water Culture walk through that Roseman has so graciously been providing us (great read so far btw). A couple times its mentioned to "take out" the water pump at some point. Is the tube feeding only for the veg stage? I thought it was in for the whole grow, but apparently I missed something in my studies.

I haven't started yet. Still patiently getting my ducks in a row. :nomo:

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

The submersive pump and feeder tubes are the key to the very rapid growth, but it is just not that needed or helpful, after the first 3 or 4 weeks. After 3 weeks, the roots are in the deep water and can drink and eat all they want.
And after 3 or 4 weeks, the roots will be growing into the pump and tubes and choking it up and leaving dead debris in the pump that will mess with your pH.

There is an Hyper Link Index on page 17 and 18.

Good Read Roseman. I plan on using the SH Deep Water Culture kit with CFL's. (BTW-looks like their prices have come down since last time I logged on) If I put it in an enclosed space, what is a good method to create air exchange in that enclosed space? For example if I build a "Stealthly" cabinet 2' x 3' x 6'. Also at what rate of exchange should the air be and how do I calculate that?

:roorrip:
Howdy there. I am taking the plunge into Deep Water Culture and starting my first hydro grow. I hope you can follow my journal Roseman and provide much needed/appreciated feedback/support.

Buhdders Bagseed Grow Journal - 2010

Welcome to 420, I'd be glad to look and follow along.

I hope you join the BubleHead Gang soon.

Good Read Roseman. I plan on using the SH Deep Water Culture kit with CFL's. (BTW-looks like their prices have come down since last time I logged on) If I put it in an enclosed space, what is a good method to create air exchange in that enclosed space? For example if I build a "Stealthly" cabinet 2' x 3' x 6'. Also at what rate of exchange should the air be and how do I calculate that?

In an enclosed space, you must have a FAN and VENT, pushing air out and another one pulling the air in.

I don't have any info or experience on enclsoed spaces. I'll invite a few of the Deep Water Culture to come answer you.

In an enclosed space, you must have a FAN and VENT, pushing air out and another one pulling the air in.

I don't have any info or experience on enclsoed spaces. I'll invite a few of the Deep Water Culture to come answer you.

Hey Green007, good thinking there going with the cfl's in a small space, they'll be a lot easier to keep cool than an HID would.

As to the actual quantity of air you'd need for air change is accomplished pretty easily. I just did a small grow closet myself, 28" x 42" x 60", my intention was to just use it for vegging, well now I'm using it for flowering too. But I put 8- 55w cfl's in there for the vegging, with it closed up tight I was running close to 100 deg. I installed a small bathroom exhaust fan that moved 50 cfm of air, and drilled 6- 1" holes to let air in. That has solved the heat problem, my closet stays close to 80 deg max when the light is on.

So, 50 cfm in a closet that is approx. 41 cf. This means that I'm giving my plants a complete air change in less than a minute, I have no figures on it, but I'm guessing this would be more than adequate.

A couple of problems though, that damn fan is noisy! Look into computer fans, they run much more quiet, and the price isn't too bad, about $21. Just be sure you get one that uses ac power. Most are powered dc, same as a computer, but you don't want to mess with that. The best is to get a dc fan that has a converter built in, they are the most quiet.

Hope this gets you going. I'll check out your grow journal.

:thumb:

You've been a big help to me, You deserve it!

(have to give Roseman props for alerting me)

Join the Club! Join the Deep Water Culture

We Grow Hydro in all of it's forms and specialize in Deep Water Culture and DWC (deep water culture). We firmly believe in paying it forward for help received and we get our kicks from helping people that used to be just like us - new growers with a willingness to read, learn, and understand to produce the medicine we need/want. We learned from those before us and continue to do so with the shared knowledge that a group of growers with a single mission can provide.

Our goals are many but I will state a few here:

The help all growers, with special emphasis on the new hydro grower, achieve a good crop the first time they are ready to try.

To teach with patience and respect as a means of helping the new grower become comfortable to ask us any question on growing and for the helper to learn as much as they teach.

To become ambassadors for the legalization of the wonderful medicine we grow whenever and wherever that will lead.

To support each other in our hard times and celebrate to good times with equal passion.

After we complete a successful grow with the help of the Deep Water Culture, we pleadge to stay around to help others as we have been helped and thereby spread the knowledge and continue the peaceful cycle of payback/payforward.

And to understand that some of the people we meet here are in true need of these meds and have good days and bad days just like in the real world.

Peace and fun are what we seek!

How can you join our band of growers?

By adding this Deep Water Culture Smiley Logo :420: to your signature, and claiming membership to the Deep Water Culture, you pledge to be very helpful to Newbies with DWC and Deep Water Culture with patience and caring and make all other Deep Water Culture proud to be a member of the group. You agree to teach others growing with Bubbles. If you do not know the answer, go get someone else from the Deep Water Culture Group to help.

If you know someone that can help teach others or needs help themselves, invite them to this thread or The Deep Water Culture Home and we will do our best.

We ARE Family,
We are The Deep Water Culture!:420:

I invite all the Deep Water Culture to share their experiences. It is in the sharing that we learn. It is in the learning that we grow in more ways than one.

:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:

Submitted by our Chief Deep Water Culture, MostlyCrazy.

hi roseman and all the other Deep Water Culture i'm havin problems with ph i've gone through your tutorial done everything mentioned apart from a full res change that'll be tomorrow after work the ph started at 5.7 day 1, went up to 7.4 day 2, i done a partial change got it down to 6.5. day 3, 7.1 another partial change got it down to 5.7 it's now day 4, and it was 7.0 and i got it down to 6.5 but i've done it twice today so any advice welcome:roorrip: peace

hi roseman and all the other Deep Water Culture i'm havin problems with ph i've gone through your tutorial done everything mentioned apart from a full res change that'll be tomorrow after work the ph started at 5.7 day 1, went up to 7.4 day 2, i done a partial change got it down to 6.5. day 3, 7.1 another partial change got it down to 5.7 it's now day 4, and it was 7.0 and i got it down to 6.5 but i've done it twice today so any advice welcome:roorrip: peace

The old ph rollercoster make sure that your res temps are between 65-70*
what kinda of water are you using are you in veg or bloom are the tubes still in and the pump there are many factors to consider and there is always
correct Ph Ammonia tabs to stablize your ph found in wallmart in the fish
dept

Get you a bottle of liquid ph down,(i buy em by the gallons) Give em 1 -2 ml of down at time.Stir and mix real good,wait a couple hours and check again.Repeat accordingly.

thanks for the advice olias and purpdaddy i think i've sussed it it's the ph down i'm useing instead of getting the normal ph down from the hydro shop i went with the alternative nitric acid which gives your plants extra nitrogen and it doesn't cause nute lock out i used on my last grow (in pots) so i assumed it'll ok for the bubbles. so it looks like i'm going to have to ride the ph coaster till i can get to the hydro store this weekend :thanks: both for replying :roorrip: peace

hello i am growing in a SH Deep Water Culture and i was wondering if and when do i take the pump out? Or do i keep the pump and feeder tubes in the whole grow?i had looked almost everywhere and i cant seem to find the answer.

Back
Top Bottom