Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY

Re: Roseman's Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY

What is the cheapest place to get Mylar or however you spell it for the walls of my closet? Any fan will do in my closet SH setup also? Thanks fellas

I bought a 2 mm thick 50 ft roll X 50 inches two years ago from Stealth Hydro and paid $39.95 less my 10% Deep Water Culture Discount and later saw it somewhere for $34.95, so shop around. Google it.

And you need an OSCILATING FAN that moves back and forth.

Thanx for the warm welcome!
I have one unit up & running with three sites for 6" pots, more of
a test unit, I'm working on a 2nd one & a rez also.
I'm considering putting an aquarium UV water filter in the
system, any negitive issues with using one in the system?
Regards,
John Whorfin

Why? What purpose would it serve?

Why? What purpose would it serve?

RM. The UV light works like the ozone generaton, say like in a hot tub.
( electronic bleach ). It kills molds, algaes and even smells.
It puts one extra molecule of oxygen in the water just like h2o2.
The only draw back is you CAN NOT run organic nutes if you want
to keep your micro organisms alive. Hope this helps some.:peace:

Thank you, Dowg, I learn something new everyday.

Thanx for the response.
I'll have to look into that, there for fish aqauriums so I dought they are turning the water the fish live in into H202, I will search that out today.
They keep the water free of algae & other one celled organism buy exposing the water to UV A,B,C inside of an enclosure so your eyes are not exposed.
Seems like an excellent way to keep the water clear & free of algae & other water born issues, fish fans with them swear by them and would never go back.
I'm going to run one in my system, I'll let everybody know when I have my first algae type issue that the filter didn't prevent.
Regards,
J.W.

Thanx for the response.
I'll have to look into that, there for fish aqauriums so I dought they are turning the water the fish live in into H202, I will search that out today.
They keep the water free of algae & other one celled organism buy exposing the water to UV A,B,C inside of an enclosure so your eyes are not exposed.
Seems like an excellent way to keep the water clear & free of algae & other water born issues, fish fans with them swear by them and would never go back.
I'm going to run one in my system, I'll let everybody know when I have my first algae type issue that the filter didn't prevent.
Regards,
J.W.

JW. I hope I didnt miss lead you. Ozone wont turn the water into H2O2, It just adds an extra molecule of oxygen. My son has been useing a DIY ozone he built in his grows, his set up is cobbled and he could get hurt but he wont lesson. :peace: I think I have a site on the subject if you like..

I know you advise about this on pg.4, has anyone come up with a quick and efficient way to wash hydroton?
Or it is what it is?
I put 25 gallons through 25#s, its run off went clear the last two washs so I used it, my rez water has a red tint to it :(
I'm going to try to just let it sit floating in a bowl of water and let the dust settle to the bottom and then skim the hydroton off the top.
I guess I should introduce myself & join Deep Water Culture so I can post up over there.
Regards,
John Whorfin

I rinsed a mess load of times as said in the tutorial but I also let them soak in water a few times as you mentioned. I had no dust.

Thanx RM, Dowg & alien8 for the input.

Regards,
John Whorfin

With my SH closet setup I will have the dual spectrum overhead hood that I added to the setup, as well as an extra dual spectrum Veg and Flower bulb (one on one side of the plant, one on the other) towards the bottom of the plant. My questions are when should I add these two extra bulbs (plant at 1ft/2ft)? Should I rotate my plant every few hours to make sure each side gets equal veg and flower light from these bulbs at the base of the plant? What should my lighting cycle be? Will I need two oscillating fans or just one? I figured one at the start and once they grow put a fan at the top of the plant and one at the base?

Also will I greatly reduce my yield by attempting to grow 6 full plants in this setup as opposed to 4? My Home Depot has many clamp reflectors, any certain one I should buy for my extra veg and flower bulb?Thank you gentlemen again

I use the side lighting to encourage a promising underbud. Doesn't need to be "under" the plant. Just look for one that is close to the canopy but needs some encouragement. I find side lighting most beneficial in flower but they can be used anytime. No rotation or extra fans needed but you want to push the hot air out up high and get fresh air in from below. Buy the sturdiest clamp reflector you can.

With my SH closet setup I will have the dual spectrum overhead hood that I added to the setup, as well as an extra dual spectrum Veg and Flower bulb (one on one side of the plant, one on the other) towards the bottom of the plant. My questions are when should I add these two extra bulbs (plant at 1ft/2ft)?

After they are large enough to handle the light. I used two bulbs until mine were about 6 or 7 inches tall and had 4 or 5 nodes, and they loved it then.

Should I rotate my plant every few hours to make sure each side gets equal veg and flower light from these bulbs at the base of the plant?

Thats too much work and not necesary. I do rotate my bulbs every otherr day. I think outdoors, plants get full sun some days and blocked rays and differnet rays on other days.

What should my lighting cycle be?

I am sold on 24/7 for GROW and 12/12 on Bloom.

Will I need two oscillating fans or just one?

One is good enough, but I use two and always will use two. IF two, make sure they are from different directions, and NOT blowing DOWN directly on the plant.

I figured one at the start and once they grow put a fan at the top of the plant and one at the base?

Sounds like a plan to me.

Also will I greatly reduce my yield by attempting to grow 6 full plants in this setup as opposed to 4? My Home Depot has many clamp reflectors, any certain one I should buy for my extra veg and flower bulb?Thank you gentlemen again

That's a big debate and a big arguement bro. Will 4 plants spread out and yield more than 6 plants crammed together?

I've have experimented and I believe 6 plants will yield more, especially more colas and tops.

Do not get the Clamp Reflectors with the PLASTIC sockets. Pay 2 dollars more for quality ones.

Re: -------'s Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY

You can rinse that Hydroton ten times and it will still need rinsing some more.

2009_Grow_0184.jpg

2009_Grow_0191.jpg

I have done this many times, and the very best way is to put it in a bowl, fill it full of water, and then pour it though a collander, ten times, no 20 times. You have to rinse it, and rinse it and rinse it, again, and again, and again.
Did I say that enough?

2009_Grow_0202.jpg

Back
Top Bottom