Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY

Re: Roseman's Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY

:peace:I'm sure you have covered this somewhere in the tutorial but here goes
I have like no cash right now so all i do is D.Y.I.
rubbermaid makes a 10 and an 18 gal. (approx.) tub that the lids are interchangeable,I've cut 4 holes for net pots.................so question say I put 3 plants in a 10 gal. tub w/ about 6 gal. of nutes. and change my res. every week or use the 18 gal. tub put in 12 gal. go 2 weeks or maybe use the 18 w/6 gal. making sure my roots reach the water level having a misty air type bath for the reaching roots to bath in? :peace:

Use the 10 gal and put about 7 1/2 gal of water in it for 3 plants. The gallonage is adjustable. You want the water to be between 1 and 2" below your net pots. If pressed for funds you can let it go about 10 days instead of 7. Standard BP set-up is 6 gal in a 8 gal res.

how exactly are those buckets hooked up to the reservoir, do they circulate? I didn't see a return line or am i missing something? ?

I'm thinking of setting up some kind of multi bucket-tub w/ a large res.
the SH setup there is gravity feed from the res. to the buckets I'm guessing that each bucket has it's own airstone and as each plant uses it's replaced from the res. or do you pump the nutes in and out of another tub to get some sort of circulation
anyway my thought is to have multiple tubs or buckets connected so that you would pump out of a res. have the first bucket fill then the overflow would fill the next bucket and so on until the last bucket would empty back into the res.
have airstones in the res. and if that isn't enough add airstones to the buckets having a constantly circulating nute supply in a large res. would make it easy to ph and adjust ppm also temp control.
that's my thought :thanks::peace:

Im starting my first hydro grow...I'm sure I will have a billion questions, byt my first one is, does the water get pumped 24/7 up to the roots or shoud I get a timer?:smokin:

Have you read this thread? It's full of information and I'm sure that is covered in this thread. But the answer to your question is 24/7.

lol...no I havent read it all yet, alot to digest in one sitting. I see it's chocked full of good info tho. I am open to any and all suggestions!:grinjoint:

Im starting my first hydro grow...I'm sure I will have a billion questions, byt my first one is, does the water get pumped 24/7 up to the roots or shoud I get a timer?:smokin:

The water pumps runs 24/7 for the first few weeks, then ti is not necesary. The airpump NEVER stops through the entire grow..

Friend, first, welcome to 420. :welcome: This place is like a sunday family reunion, with nothing but loving family here to help one another. There are some awesome pics to see and lots to learn from.
Start at page one of this thread and read up until the seeds are in the cups (only a few pages) and most all your questions will be answered. I am here often during the day, so ask me or anyone here, anything you want to ask. we're here to help you, and we enjoy helping you. You will not be alone.

:peace:

Yep we are all here to help but read first cause all or most will be answered. After that we can clear up confusion which is easier.

Thanks for all you guys/gals help already. I'm reading and soaking in all this great info!
:smokin:

1st off thanks Roseman for all the great info & help in this topic.
This thread made me get off my arse & start putting one together, I've been in soil for about 2 years and have been saying for the last 6 months I want to change over to hydro, well Roseman you tipped my scale over to the hydro side.
I'm curious about this answer to the question, what kind of schedule would you time the pump to after the first few weeks?
More questions to come later.
Regards,
John Whorfin
The water pumps runs 24/7 for the first few weeks, then ti is not necesary. The airpump NEVER stops through the entire grow..

Friend, first, welcome to 420. :welcome: This place is like a sunday family reunion, with nothing but loving family here to help one another. There are some awesome pics to see and lots to learn from.
Start at page one of this thread and read up until the seeds are in the cups (only a few pages) and most all your questions will be answered. I am here often during the day, so ask me or anyone here, anything you want to ask. we're here to help you, and we enjoy helping you. You will not be alone.

:peace:

:welcome: to 420! Be sure to post a link to your journal on the Deep Water Culture Home thread!

The air pump runs 24hrs a day the entire grow.

The water pump runs 24hrs a day UNTIL the roots are 2-3" into the water of the reservoir. Then it can be turned off and removed.

Check out the links in my signature (Roseman wrote most of them) everything you need to know about SH Deep Water Culture Systems.

Agent Green :smokin:

1st off thanks Roseman for all the great info & help in this topic.
This thread made me get off my arse & start putting one together, I've been in soil for about 2 years and have been saying for the last 6 months I want to change over to hydro, well Roseman you tipped my scale over to the hydro side.
I'm curious about this answer to the question, what kind of schedule would you time the pump to after the first few weeks?
More questions to come later.
Regards,
John Whorfin

Welcome to 420, John, I'm glad you joined and very glad you visited here.

The most amazing thing about Deep Water Culture is the first 3 or 4 weeks of VERY Rapid Growth, due to the water pump and feeder tubes providing oxygen enriched and nutrient enriched water to the seed and then baby roots. Without the water pump, you'd just have a plain DWC.

I have seen many comparison grows, DWC with and without the water pump. DWC starting with seed, and DWC starting with CLONES. The feeder tubes do make a tremendous difference. I've seen hundreds of grows get an inch a day of growth for 30 to 40 days in a row.

BUT, a large water pump can give some increased HEAT in the tank. And after a few weeks, the filter in the water pump can accumulate and harbor dead roots and dead debris that screws with the pH. That is why I like a very small water pump, all you need is a trickle and a smaller pump doesn't make as much heat or have a filter to get dead roots in.

I did about 5 or 6 grows without ever removing the water pump. Now I remove and clean it good after a few weeks, and put it back, or remove it and don't put it back. AFTER 3 or 4 weeks, the roots are well extablished in the water and the feeder tubes are not that necesary or beneficial. YES, they do continue to add to rapid growth, but not as much as the first few weeks.

great info man. i appreciate you taking your time to go into detail for us.

What is the cheapest place to get Mylar or however you spell it for the walls of my closet? Any fan will do in my closet SH setup also? Thanks fellas

What is the cheapest place to get Mylar or however you spell it for the walls of my closet? Any fan will do in my closet SH setup also? Thanks fellas

nehydro.net
1-800-529-9025
Mylar 2 ml 50"X 25' $21.95
= = = 50"x 50' $34.95 :ganjamon:

Thanx for the warm welcome!
I have one unit up & running with three sites for 6" pots, more of
a test unit, I'm working on a 2nd one & a rez also.
I'm considering putting an aquarium UV water filter in the
system, any negitive issues with using one in the system?
Regards,
John Whorfin

Back
Top Bottom