Defoliation

First welcome and wow you opened up a can of worms.I will sit back and watch the fun.
I like to defo for the last time heavy around the 2/3 week mark of flower so i would say its no problem just dont be
heavy handed. ;)

No problem just joking my friend alot of people feel defoliation is a sin its one of those questions that tends to start
a debat.But wait around best advice i could give dont take the first persons advice wait for others to chime in.;)

I defoliate to a point. I like to keep the base of the plants kind of bald, i do take majority from the middle also and if any look unhealthy or cover any flowers ill take them off. My understanding is the leaves absorb alot of energy from the lights and feed that energy into the plant and also dont take any more then 30% of the whole plants weight off or it may shock them. This is my understanding pls correct me if im wrong. I personally think they look better with a good amount left on.

Oh no haha not my intention im just brand new and wasn't sure. Think I will try removing some of the bigger stuff but nothing crazy. Thanks for the reply
Ok lets parse out your intentions..

Whats your goal of removing fan leaves?

Pro Tip: fan leaves do all the heavy lifting with photosynthesis.

Where do flowers get their energy?

Where does the plant get energy to build flowers?

Your best approach is to remove the LOWER fan leaves and lower branches.

I keep the lower portion relatively naked 6-8” above the pot for air flow..but I trim and train lightly for a max of six or eight main cola stems ; when I flip..I like to flip at ~2.5’ to limit stretch . I trim out centre lightly for air flow at 1 week into bloom then a fairly good defoliation at 3 weeks of bloom. Then , I constantly remove suckers on stems plus popcorn on the laterals until harvest. I end up with nice big solid colas on six to eight stems on each plant every grow. I do leave large fan leaves that aren’t blocking the light .

Like skunksa said this can be a heated topic. Your next question gonna be what is the right way to flush? lol. Problem is every strain, grow light, environment and media will change the answer. The right answer for one is not the answer for all. Most agree to open the lower canopy to allow air flow and stop wasting plants energy on popcorn. Old leaves are less efficient at photosynthesis than young leaves. To what degree? Variable. Do you have enough PAR to push through the canopy? How much is enough? It varies. See the problem in the question?

Bottom line is you have to do a little experimenting to find what works for you and all the other variable. Tucking fan leaves is a safe, reversible technique. A lot of light and a lot of air flow requires less defoliating. At least until you flush.

I wasn’t forcing my experience or view..just telling what works for me.
I sift through others ides on different sites..use some.some work some don’t..totally a personal thing .

I wasn’t forcing my experience or view..just telling what works for me.
I sift through others ides on different sites..use some.some work some don’t..totally a personal thing .
I'm sorry if you thought I was directing that at you. Not my intention at all. My approach is vary similar to yours with some strains but much different with others. Am I growing for bud or hash? You hit the nail on the head. sift through, some work for you, some don't, totally a personal thing.

I am on my first harvest of jack herer and have been trying to find that answer on CBG peak! THANKYOU! When you say 3 weeks early where is that in trichome development? I am at 90% cloudy and maybe 2% starting to amber. The medicinal effect was phenomenal from a sample a week ago so I started the flush yesterday(DWC). I have clones so trying to plan for next run.

I was told by the supplier of the seeds to harvest CBG..3 weeks before it’s normal bloom span.
so actually before changing to cloudy.
This is what we do..not sure what others do?
Decard temp and times are also different for CBD and CBG.

Mmm this old chestnut, well with in the realms of fuzzy logic I might just take a look around & have a gander :Namaste:

Some defol others do not so take a look to make your own mind up.

Oh do some growing as well & some of this is trial 'n' error.

Back
Top Bottom