Diagnosis Confirmation, pics & details

TheBakedBaker

Hello,
I'm using some "bag seeds" for my first grow, so not sure what strain(s). I have 3 plants (one died early). The plants have been "above ground" for 18 days. This is an indoor grow with 1 4ft 54watt T5 flouro and 2 4ft 32watt T8 flouros (6500kelvin/2700lumens ea.). I'm growing them in a closet (approx.) 5.5'X2'X7'. Using a ~3:1 perlite:vermiculite mix, started in rockwool starter cubes currently placed in 4" pots. I'm hand-watering them w/ General Hydroponics Flora/Grow/Bloom nutrients. Started them off with very low strength, and have brought them up to about 1/2 strength (per mixing directions). I did use a small amount of baking soda (~1/4 tsp) to try to raise the pH, but had to use some lime juice to lower it again (yes, I have mixed a new batch for the next watering) but am planning to flush them with plain water today. I don't have a good idea of temp/RH (first grow, SMALL budget). The pH of the last nutrient solution they got was ~6.1-6.4. There were in the basement @ first, but after seeing some spider webs they've moved to another closet which seems to be pest free. I'm only watering about twice/week (when the medium starts to dry out about an inch down). They did stretch a bit as I kept them under a plastic hood a little too long after they sprouted, which limited how close the light was, but seem to be doing much better now. I think the problem could be a potassium deficiency (possibly caused by the baking soda used to raise the pH), which is why I plan to flush them today rather than give them their normal nutrients, but I'm concerned it may also be a nitrogen deficiency, phosphorus deficiency, magnesium deficiency, calcium deficiency or possibly just too high pH. Any second/better opinions are much appreciated. I'm not stressing too much, as this is sort of a trial/experiment run, but I'd like to see my first grow go well if possible. Thank you in advance!

2009-08-16_17_52_05.jpg

2009-08-16_17_51_56.jpg

2009-08-13_01_23_00.jpg

2009-08-16_17_52_23.jpg

2009-08-16_17_52_42.jpg

nute burn: solution?

Thanks Jack,
If it is just a bit o' nute burn, what's the best solution? Just flush and keep on? Like I said, I've only got up to about half strength GenHydro solution, and I don't want any nute deficiencies. Recommendations?

it looks like you might have gotten some on the leaf..but if thats not the case then I would just chill with the nutes for a second let the plant heal for a week or two and then you can start your nute cycle again (if they are good nutes you shouldnt have the defec. that your mentioning)...it may be too much even at 1/2 strength too early..and watch it from there...you wont be harming them...not to mention it could be slight stress due to the PH flux.....what kind of medium/soil are you using? You will be able to get a 5 gallon bucket or similar RIGHT??

It's perlite/vermiculite mix, about 3:1 respectively. Right now, they're in 4" diameter pots, and I have some 12" pots waiting (just shy of 3 gal I believe). If they manage to get big enough for 5 gal buckets, I do have some on hand and ready to go, but I imaging growing them in a closet with flouros may not require that much volume :winkyface:. The nutes are General Hydroponics Flora series (grow-micro-bloom) that I've been planning to use according to the labels (like I said, half strength so far), but after today I've been considering Lucas Formula (though I haven't found much info to indicate whether it's any good for the hand-watering method). They were due for a watering today, but I just flushed them with some plain-old-water.
I did take someone else's advise and spray some ~1/5 strength nutrient solution on the plant itself (though this was about 2 weeks ago and this burning problem has only been going on a couple of days), but have since read (here and elsewhere) this was a stupid idea. Live and learn!
When I took those pics (just before "lights-out"), the newer, higher leave were looking great, but they seem to be going slightly yellow (though they're not looking burnt, just not as green as they were) so I'm hoping the flush will help. Thanks for the advise so far, I really appreciate it!

flush should help...what are your temps/ humidity like....intake and exhaust fan setup? You wanna have fresh air circulating around the grow room because stagnant hot air isnt good either....

Well, again, on my budget I don't have a thermometer/humidity sensor in the grow space, so I'm not 100% on either temp or humidity, but I don't believe it ever gets over 80 degrees, even when the lights are on. I do have an upright fan blowing in the closet, but the door is simply cracked about an inch (much further and our cats become a threat) for "ventilation." I was thinking of rigging up one or two of those 2 liter bottle w/sugar water & yeast CO2 "generators" as well. Here's some updated pics, not looking good for the home team...
It still looks a bit like the pics I've seen indicating a potassium deficiency. Since I just flushed them yesterday (and they're a bit water-logged), I have to wait a while to do anything about it... :(
This one was looking "super" yesterday, now the flush seems to have overwatered it a bit and it's getting the deadish yellowing too...
2009-08-17_14_11_00.jpg

Progressing to the newer leaves...
2009-08-17_14_10_13.jpg

Leaves are more than a "little yellowish," they're getting the same discoloration and necrosis...
2009-08-17_14_08_47.jpg

looks like Mg deficiency. Check your pH to make sure it is in the right range.

- If pH is fine and has been stable, then you should supplement with epsom salt...your well water may be too clean :).

- If pH is out of whack or has been fluctuating a good amount, you need to flush and then add nutes back.

Back
Top Bottom