Discussing the word Strain

Drop “strain” for “cultivar”

• Total voters
Yep. It ain't going to happen. Some people cannot even spell 'strain' so I can just imagine what would happen if they were to start using a word like 'cultivar';).

Look at the use of "nutes" which is not even a word in any English language dictionary that I know of. On top of that they cannot even remember to spell that word the same way from one message to the next. I am thinking of messages with nuts, nets, nats, and my favorite, 'newts'.

I can imagine what is happening when non-English speaking people are using translation software on a message with the word 'newts' in it and figure that they have to grind up small salamanders to add to their soil or coco coir growing mix.
Yeah I see your point there for sure.

I was just trying to keep it real. It was a hypothetical scenario that was used to illustrate the absurdity of your suggestion. If you poll 1000 weed smokers randomly and they answer honestly. I'm certain there would be very little support for making cultivar a default substitution for the word strain.
You like to throw insults into every comment you make. Since this is a pattern with you. I’ve set you to ignore. Won’t be responding to anything you post. Enjoy your day. Hope it gets better for you.

I will use to correct terms almost 99%of the time.
What is the Difference Between Species and Strain?
Species is defined as the largest group of organisms in which any two individuals of appropriate sexes can produce fertile offspring through sexual reproduction. On the other hand, strain is defined as a sub-type or a genetic variant of biological species.

A strain is a genetic variant (not to be confused with a viral variant) or subtype of microorganism (that could be a virus, but it also applies to bacteria and fungi).
The term strain is used to distinguish a genetically distinct lineage separated from another strain by one or more mutations

these all have a common core value of biologically active life and a divergence from homogenous population. Your neighbors freckled children are a strain within the human race. A corgi is a strain of canis lupus i think it is, you get the point.
It is a "correct" term to call our seed offspring strains, but not clones. Clones are not a strain...the mother plant is a member of a strain, in genus Cannabis, which encompasses the species C. sativa, C. indica, and C. ruderalis
I believe strain is valid term, nomenclature so to speak, and just has an aire of misplacement due to a predominance of the words use in asexual reproduction lines of fungi, i think that's where it has acquired a midplaced singular context use in a scientific setting.

Yeah I get it. I just find the word over used. And don’t feel it is appropriate. There should be a better word used. Just my opinion ya know. Obviously not popular. But hey to each their own.

A6EF36CD-4B4B-42B0-82EC-C71C8C1EA3A2.jpeg

You can use any accepted genealogical terms too...
"This plant is the great great grandson of Truffles Mango #6"
Or cousin twice removed on its father side.
Or...we could just call them strains 😉
I agree. I suppose many terms could apply. Aswell as being accepted . I just find that word waaay over used. Makes me shutter every time I hear it.
Just a peeve I guess

I saw a video of kevin jodrey saying a similar position and i really chewed on it for a while...its just one of those esoteric undocumented things that will have to be codified by an established body one day to settle it.
Who knows, maybe me and you helped decide it when they finally get to it cuz we spoke up (passes joint)

It’s a valid term. Aswell as others from topics posted here.
My intention was to discuss if there was a word that fit better. And if the community was open to using it.

So the resounding answer seems to be NO or Don’t Care. Which is fine. Was only a question.

Can’t get answers if you don’t ask.
Can’t find out about those around you if you don’t ask either.

So I found out a lot about the community/culture here. And how genuinely feel. Pretty mixed results so far. It’s a win either way. Even if nothing changes.

Have a wonderful day.

This post is basically closed.

a lot of terms in the lifestyle have been derived from slang, counter cultural references, or simply misappropriated because they worked in general reference.

it only makes sense as folk weren't allowed to openly disseminate knowledge surrounding the plant. it's a culture and tradition unto itself, and can be part of the fun and appeal.

as it's moved from lifestyle to industry, there's been a movement to professionalize the terms, which is fine as long as everyone understands what the conversation is about, and folk aren't left out.

i don't care as long as the intent is not to insinuate intellectual superiority, or scam out a living on it.

I think strain will stick around, whether it's technically correct or not.
Kind of like pistils and calyxes.
Technically they're stigmas (a pistil is a part of a stigma) and bracts (and again, a calyx is a part of a bract), but you're unlikely to get everyone to use them.
I'd just decide for yourself which you'd like to use and let everyone else do the same. If someone asks why, explain it.

Technically they're stigmas (a pistil is a part of a stigma) and bracts (and again, a calyx is a part of a bract), but you're unlikely to get everyone to use them.
Yep, 'strain' will stick around. We can even see it being used when gardeners talk about types of tomatoes or peppers; probably used when they discuss some types of fruit trees.

As for "pistils" the little hairs that just about every one is calling a pistil or pistils are the stigma. The flower, or pistil, contains the three parts: the stigma, the style, and the ovary and all of them together are the pistil.
Learned more about the botany sciences since I joined this group than I had picked up in the classes in the landscape trade courses I took years and years ago
:)

Back
Top Bottom